Smittybuilt vs Warn winch

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
Just ordered the Smitty for $488 at north ridge. I’ll report back later...
Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Ordered w/steel bumper & LED install of winch, plate & Blue Ox tow package easy just pay $500 and watch them do it
Nice! I just ordered the winch from Northridge and the steel bumper from Quadratec. I guess I’ll need to order a winch mounting plate and the LED brackets. Hopefully it won’t be too difficult to install. Yours looks awesome!

Gaxmode

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
If you can afford the zeon, go warn. If not.. go smittybilt.

HeavyMetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4dr Rubicon
I dont know what kind of alternate reality I just walked into in here where warn winches are overhyped status symbols that dont work well, but please take that kind of commentary with a grain of salt if you are reading this thread. I have witnessed literally countless situations over the years where warns have operated in over the top situations in dry desert, wet forest, snow, so on, without skipping a beat, time and time again. I have never had a reason to not trust mine to work.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Do your self a favor look at super winch exp. way better built than warn and about 400 cheaper. I did and I’m stoked

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I dont know what kind of alternate reality I just walked into in here where warn winches are overhyped status symbols that dont work well, but please take that kind of commentary with a grain of salt if you are reading this thread. I have witnessed literally countless situations over the years where warns have operated in over the top situations in dry desert, wet forest, snow, so on, without skipping a beat, time and time again. I have never had a reason to not trust mine to work.
I’m sure there have been other brands of winches that have done the same as well. Nobody is saying warn isn’t good, just that it isn’t the end all be all. Ford might be the best truck on the road, but ram and gm have a heck of a good offering too.

Brett

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
It’s warns own fault. For years and years they were the best you can get. I owned 4. So when it came time to add a bumper to my jeep and I saw warn had one. Simple bought it put it on. A few years 3-4 later the thing is shedding powder coat like snake changing skin. Called warn. They said send some pictures I did. They said it’s cause I live by the beach. Yeah like 4 miles away. They refused to do anything and said it was the salt air. Pretty sure the air I breathe doesn’t contain salt. Later I found out the old warm I do business with had been sold. New warn had lousy customer service. Not spending my hard earned $$ with a company that doesn’t take care of its customers. See the funny thing was my rear bumper didn’t peel. Just the warn one. So while the Zenon is probably a really good winch. It is over priced and over rated. Which is why I bought a super winch 10 k exp. but that is just 1 example. And just my opinion. To each his own.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
For the average weekend warrior, smittybilt winches are amazing! Few buddies have them and perform flawlessly, I’ve also have an engo on my wife’s Jeep that’s been through hell and back and still works just fine. Did have issue with a solenoid, but that was my fault and engo still stepped up and sent me a new control box
Unless you are planning long, numerous pulls, then get a warn. But only get the zeon, cti or powerplant, the rest like the VR are just as good as the smittybilt but with an overpriced red W on it

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
I haven’t seen any other brand compare with Warn’s high line speed and low amp draw at the Zeon level. Quadratec has a good comparison tool in their catalog and website.

Was on the trail yesterday and one of the guys bent a pin in his winch controller so couldn’t make a pull. One of the benefits of Warn is that so many people have their products you can ‘borrow’ parts if you have an issue. We just grabbed a controller out of the closest Jeep and made the pull.
Great points...

Sponsored

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
bumping this up as I still cannot decide. Seems like I can get two x2o 10k winches and some money left over before hitting the price of a zeon 10s. Can I afford the 10s? Sure, no problem. But I don't like spending extra money when unnecessary.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
bumping this up as I still cannot decide. Seems like I can get two x2o 10k winches and some money left over before hitting the price of a zeon 10s. Can I afford the 10s? Sure, no problem. But I don't like spending extra money when unnecessary.
Get the smittybilt, it’s a great winch you will not be disappointed. I run a 8274 so I am not biased in any way towards the x20. Seen them work, and they perform flawlessly

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Get the smittybilt, it’s a great winch you will not be disappointed. I run a 8274 so I am not biased in any way towards the x20. Seen them work, and they perform flawlessly
I’m also in the market for winch, is smittybuilt water proof? Or do you use cover?

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
I’m also in the market for winch, is smittybuilt water proof? Or do you use cover?
The x2o is waterproof. They did have problems with the wireless switch getting wet and not working, not sure if they resolved at issue or not. But it isn’t that big of a deal since you just have to plug the controller in
I’d still use a cover regardless, help protect it from the sun and road debris

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The x2o is waterproof. They did have problems with the wireless switch getting wet and not working, not sure if they resolved at issue or not. But it isn’t that big of a deal since you just have to plug the controller in
I’d still use a cover regardless, help protect it from the sun and road debris
Appreciate the insight, pros/cons rope versus cable in your opinion?
Sponsored