Sponsored

Smittybuilt vs Warn winch

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
Same here but with my warn bumper the powder coat failed. They said it was becasue I live by the beach with 2.5 miles but none of the other powder coats failed on th e tail gate etc. Just warn.
I used to buy warn pretty exclusively but their prices got out of hand. Now they look like a "pretty boy winch". There was a comparison in one of the magazines 4x4 or 4whleel dirve or Jeep and warn got spanked. I think either super winch or engo won. In my view Warn is resting on past successes. They think because they had a good naME people will pay for it. Some probably do. (See comment above) In my humble opinion in todays time frame with internet marketing and wide spread communication if you don't continuously produce the best product, th enews will get out and the slide form the top down is a very fast one. So Warn how about some relaibilty , customer service and price wars?
Totally agree about news will get out... have seen A LOT of bad reviews about Warn and they are much more pricey. Looking at Smitty or alternatives. Like the wireless remote too!
Sponsored

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Warns were 9.5 TIs. They got used about once every few months for fairly short pulls. Neither worked after a year. The second one failed just after acting as a safety line with no actual pull involved. It over heated just reeling the rope back in. My Smittybilt once spent most of a night pulling a friends Raptor 100 yards through a muddy bog just a few feet at a time. My battery was destroyed and refused to hold a charge a few days later. The winch was hot to the touch much of the time. It still works fine six years later and at least 30 or so pulls.
So you are saying both brands blow? I would not want a dead battery offline somewhere....

Sponsored

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
My smittybilt will be here Monday. It's going on my barricade bumper.

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Smittybuilt X20 w/remote syn rope have warm steel on trail Jeep owned 5 warns first Smittybuilt like so far used 4 times so far no problems cost 1/3 of warm Zeon dang spellcheck

14D1494A-2D62-4850-9DA3-C5F11FEF7A77.jpeg
n

CalsJLUR

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Smittybilt, here. Seems to be a solid product, used it a couple of times already, just messing around, wanted to see what it was capable of. Pleased thus far!

DC70A4D1-C765-4384-81E6-988548541582.jpeg

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I Personally would not go with either one of those, the Smitty built and the VR Warn Are probably made in the same Chinese factory But I do not know that to be a fact. I have never owned anything but Warn And have never had any problems with them! But they were all USA made not the VR series! But thatā€™s a decision you have to make! The Warn Xeon 10S Platinum is a good choice for me.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Iā€™ve had several warns and now on my second smittybilt. I have a 16,500 on my truck and x20 10k has been ordered for the Jeep. Iā€™ll take the smittybilt over the warn. For the price you can buy almost 3 smittybilt for the price of one warn. They arenā€™t that superior over any other brand but with their name recognition people buy them for bragging rights or whatever reason. I use my stuff and generally buy the best to limit avoidable down time but havenā€™t found any negatives going to the smittybilt

Brett

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
The VR and Smitty are in the same class, Chinese made.
Both good, but the Zeon is in another class that neither of those can match.

JL_John

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I havenā€™t seen any other brand compare with Warnā€™s high line speed and low amp draw at the Zeon level. Quadratec has a good comparison tool in their catalog and website.

Was on the trail yesterday and one of the guys bent a pin in his winch controller so couldnā€™t make a pull. One of the benefits of Warn is that so many people have their products you can ā€˜borrowā€™ parts if you have an issue. We just grabbed a controller out of the closest Jeep and made the pull.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Smittybuilt X20 w/remote syn rope have warm steel on trail Jeep owned 5 warns first Smittybuilt like so far used 4 times so far no problems cost 1/3 of warm Zeon

14D1494A-2D62-4850-9DA3-C5F11FEF7A77.jpeg
This is the look I want. Very clean. I have a Sahara on order and will need to upgrade to the steel bumper. Did you Rubi come with the steel bumper or did you add it yourself? The reason I ask is about the LED fog lights. I understand they won't transfer directly from the plastic bumper without special brackets.

Was the winch install very difficult?

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This is the look I want. Very clean. I have a Sahara on order and will need to upgrade to the steel bumper. Did you Rubi come with the steel bumper or did you add it yourself? The reason I ask is about the LED fog lights. I understand they won't transfer directly from the plastic bumper without special brackets.

Was the winch install very difficult?
Ordered w/steel bumper & LED install of winch, plate & Blue Ox tow package easy just pay $500 and watch them do it
Sponsored