First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Bright Freakin' White
Occupation
IT Manager
Does the Rusty's plate come with a fair lead plate too? I mean not for a license plate but to cover all the openings after removing the plastic one.
It comes with the fairlead mount plate. The Smittybilt winch comes with the fairlead plate...
Sponsored

SeekRest

First Name
Laurence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Does the Rusty's plate come with a fair lead plate too? I mean not for a license plate but to cover all the openings after removing the plastic one.
It comes with the fairlead mount plate. The Smittybilt winch comes with the fairlead plate...
Rusty’s plate comes with the fairlead mounting plate (over plastic removal) and Smittybilt includes the Hawse fairlead.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have read through the posts, I ordered an LOD signature series full width and the X20 10k winch on Black Friday - I am installing this on a sport. The bumper comes with a winch plate and fairlead mounting plate will I need anything else? Also I have the factory Aux switch does this need to be wired into any of those or just direct to battery. Great thread.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
OK, I’m in the middle of installing the X20 with the Rusty’s winch plate on the OEM steel bumper. This is my first time mounting a winch. I’ve got few questions that I hope the community can help me with.

1) The Rusty’s fairlead face plate is flat but the bumper is curved. Did this cause a problem for anyone when tightening the fairlead mounting bolts? There’s some gap between the plate and bumper at the ends.
2) Is it supposed to be tilted slightly downward at the front relative to the rear?
3) Does the top edge of the fairlead extent slightly above the top edge of the fairlead face plate?
4) It seems like getting the nuts on the lower inner bumper studs (inside the plate) might be difficult now that the plate blocks access to them from below. Am I wrong?
5) Any other tips to help the rest of the install go easier?

Thanks!

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
Best thread so far about the x20! Very close to deciding on this instead of warn, how has it been for everyone who has installed and used it now after a bit of time? Is durability really that much of an issue?

It seems many people lose the wireless remote function quickly on the reviews. There is this guy on YouTube but it seems more involved than I would want to put up with ...

Sponsored

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Best thread so far about the x20! Very close to deciding on this instead of warn, how has it been for everyone who has installed and used it now after a bit of time? Is durability really that much of an issue?

It seems many people lose the wireless remote function quickly on the reviews. There is this guy on YouTube but it seems more involved than I would want to put up with ...

I used mine several times this weekend and it performed flawlessly each time. Wireless is such a nice feature.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
OK, I’m in the middle of installing the X20 with the Rusty’s winch plate on the OEM steel bumper. This is my first time mounting a winch. I’ve got few questions that I hope the community can help me with.

1) The Rusty’s fairlead face plate is flat but the bumper is curved. Did this cause a problem for anyone when tightening the fairlead mounting bolts? There’s some gap between the plate and bumper at the ends.
2) Is it supposed to be tilted slightly downward at the front relative to the rear?
3) Does the top edge of the fairlead extent slightly above the top edge of the fairlead face plate?
4) It seems like getting the nuts on the lower inner bumper studs (inside the plate) might be difficult now that the plate blocks access to them from below. Am I wrong?
5) Any other tips to help the rest of the install go easier?

Thanks!
I worked through it all myself and got it installed, but will address the anwers that I found to these questions that may help out another rookie who runs into the same issues I did.
1) It is what it is. It does not sit completely flat against the bumper at the ends of the plate.
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) The only nut somewhat difficult to reach is the lower nut on the left (while facing the vehicle) inner side because of the position of the motor. It’s not that bad. Use a short extension and ratchet.
5) It doesn’t tell you until halfway through the instructions that it’s MUCH easier to mount the control box before mounting the winch on the plate. The power wire is barely long enough to reach the positive terminal, route it carefully. Make sure all 8 bumper stud holes are properly lined up before you try to reattach the bumper.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I worked through it all myself and got it installed, but will address the anwers that I found to these questions that may help out another rookie who runs into the same issues I did.
1) It is what it is. It does not sit completely flat against the bumper at the ends of the plate.
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) The only nut somewhat difficult to reach is the lower nut on the left (while facing the vehicle) inner side because of the position of the motor. It’s not that bad. Use a short extension and ratchet.
5) It doesn’t tell you until halfway through the instructions that it’s MUCH easier to mount the control box before mounting the winch on the plate. The power wire is barely long enough to reach the positive terminal, route it carefully. Make sure all 8 bumper stud holes are properly lined up before you try to reattach the bumper.
Glad you got it installed without too much trouble.

I swapped the MOPAR steel bumper for the plastic one at the same time as installing the X20. The big mistake I made was putting on the bumper after installing the plate and then installing the winch. I should've installed the winch after getting the plate installed, using a jack to hold up the plate until mounting the bumper. Would've been much, much easier.

Routing the cables to the battery was a bit of a bear. Not much room on the passenger side. I didn't want the wires to show from the top where they go from the switch to the bolts on the side, so I ran them straight down and looped around from the bottom but they are wedged tight to the grill. Not happy about that so I may re-route later.

The bolts for the X20 fairlead plate were just barely long enough for both sides due to that curve. I'd get one side on but the other wouldn't fit. I finally had to bend one of the lock washers just a little to get the nut started. Royal pain in the arse. :headbang:

Install would've been pretty simple with the bumper off. I love the look of the X20. The JCR Offroad plate, skid plate, and bull bar all bolted right up without issue and no drilling required. Heavy duty stuff.

Now I just need to get the rope spooled correctly. It's a mess right now.

1076DE20-A479-4559-806F-9C99AABC86D1.jpeg
28987494-1485-4DCD-BFA0-4B097C5395C0.jpeg

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I removed the bumper, installed the plate, mounted the winch to the plate, reinstalled the bumper, then ran wiring. I routed the power and ground cables up behind the grille but under the air intake. The ground wire is longer so I ran it over near the fender and to the negative terminal. The power wire is almost too short. I ran it more directly under the intake abd to the positive terminal. Not long enough to run it along the fender and across to the terminal.

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
If you get the warn winch plate it comes with a tag bracket. Just FYI. Did anyone else think the brackets for the control box is a crappy way to mount or is it me
Can anyone explain a little further? Just annoying or so crappy and weak that failure is inevitably going to happen at this point?

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Can anyone explain a little further? Just annoying or so crappy and weak that failure is inevitably going to happen at this point?
I found it to be a really odd abd offbeat way of mounting it, but I don’t have any idea about whether it’s pronr to failure. In doing research on which winch to buy I didn’t see anything about that.

Wildmank99

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 xj and 18 JL rubicon
Occupation
Military
The bracket that mounts the control box for the winch is held on with like a Retension style Allen’s and pressure from the rope. That is what I mean crappy design

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Just delivered, smittybilt x20 12k syn and a Maximus 3 winch plate. I liked the Maximus because it has various spots you can hand D rings on that the other plate's don't seem to have.

I've never installed a winch, wish me luck!!

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer
Just delivered, smittybilt x20 12k syn and a Maximus 3 winch plate. I liked the Maximus because it has various spots you can hand D rings on that the other plate's don't seem to have.

I've never installed a winch, wish me luck!!
Are you sure you got the JL version of the plate? It looks like the JK versions had the D-ring mounting points but I haven't seen where the JL version has that feature.

Needalife

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ, 2019 JLU Rubican
I've had the X2O 10k mounted for over 2 years on my TJ, no failure with the way the control box is mounted.
Sponsored