Smittybilt X2O Install

Nick80

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon & 2010 Jeep Commander
I ended up getting one of the snap in plate brackets. But I would get a better looking fair lead before the install FYI.
Sponsored

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Hi guys. Im just planning my Winch purchases here while im waiting for my 2 door. I've never installed one before. Looking to hit up the Smittybuilt with the Rusty Plate, seems like a solid combination. Is there anything else I need to add to my basket?

Saw a tree friendly strap which seems like a good idea, what else? Do you guys buy that flip up license plate holder separate?
If you need a front plate in your state, then yes you’ll need some kind of plate adapter. There’s a few different models out depending on what fits your needs.

Wildmank99

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 xj and 18 JL rubicon
Occupation
Military
If you get the warn winch plate it comes with a tag bracket. Just FYI. Did anyone else think the brackets for the control box is a crappy way to mount or is it me

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys. Im just planning my Winch purchases here while im waiting for my 2 door. I've never installed one before. Looking to hit up the Smittybuilt with the Rusty Plate, seems like a solid combination. Is there anything else I need to add to my basket?

Saw a tree friendly strap which seems like a good idea, what else? Do you guys buy that flip up license plate holder separate?
Extreme Terrain has a nice Barricade branded bag with everything you'd need for just over 100 bucks. It has gloves, a 28,000lb strap (Overkill, but hell yeah!) a 26,000lb tree saver, a snatch block, two shackles, and a drag chain for moving trees off the trail. Everything you need. The bag is quality, too, with a strong zipper and pockets for stuff like tir
e plugs, deflator, etc. I also put my winch controller in there and it has room for more, but is still compact.

Contact @XTJake for a discount code, too. All the gear in this bag is good quality.

QjpCM4j.jpg

DbmoFva.jpg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If you get the warn winch plate it comes with a tag bracket. Just FYI. Did anyone else think the brackets for the control box is a crappy way to mount or is it me

One more thing...I ordered a Factor 55 Splicer from ET, as well. I'll use a Fast Fid to splice the rope. Again, @XTJake can hook you up with a discount. They've got several different closed loop shackle mounts. I went light and less expensive. It still has a super high load rating, beyond what I'll need. I just like to keep things lightweight and simple.

Sponsored

3uPh0riK

First Name
Christiaan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
If you need a front plate in your state, then yes you’ll need some kind of plate adapter. There’s a few different models out depending on what fits your needs.
Thanks makes sense ill look into that for WA, im new to the states so havnt actually owned a car here yet

3uPh0riK

First Name
Christiaan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Extreme Terrain has a nice Barricade branded bag with everything you'd need for just over 100 bucks. It has gloves, a 28,000lb strap (Overkill, but hell yeah!) a 26,000lb tree saver, a snatch block, two shackles, and a drag chain for moving trees off the trail. Everything you need. The bag is quality, too, with a strong zipper and pockets for stuff like tir
e plugs, deflator, etc. I also put my winch controller in there and it has room for more, but is still compact.

Contact @XTJake for a discount code, too. All the gear in this bag is good quality.
Great thanks! Will def get this

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Advice & reality check. I read somewhere that you want to wire the winch to a switch so you don’t have a live always on electrical connection to your battery because someone could stick a screwdriver in some where and burn down your vehicle. Is this true? If so, how hard is it to connect to one of the aux switches?

YOKiN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'65 Impala SS, BMW X5M, 2018 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think I ever posted a photo with the X20 installed. That link I posted prior is the cheapest I've seen and made by warn and bought through 4wheelparts. If people wanted other options.
IMG_20180509_213553_249.jpg

Sponsored

Jetman

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon JLU
I installed my Smittybilt 12K X2O with no problems on the Rusty’s Off-road winch mount plate as well. Even added the flip up license plate holder. Everything fit great! Plenty of room for all!

28EC9625-93CB-47EF-93EF-DCA14E0BB82B.jpeg

AAE9E8CD-1E5A-440B-BCA7-E9CC5F490318.jpeg

E39D1DD5-38EE-4E1B-8862-E48A149136C6.jpeg
Looks really good! That is the one am out after.
Did you have any issues installing the solenoid on top? I heard in other forums that the 2 brackets to install it on top were missing in the box.

MongeDM

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Bright Freakin' White
Occupation
IT Manager
Looks really good! That is the one am out after.
Did you have any issues installing the solenoid on top? I heard in other forums that the 2 brackets to install it on top were missing in the box.
Check out my post earlier (#31) about the solenoid install. Also I was not missing any parts... And do you ride a Sabre by chance?

Jetman

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon JLU
Check out my post earlier (#31) about the solenoid install. Also I was not missing any parts... And do you ride a Sabre by chance?
Dean I saw your comment as I went thought the rest of the replies. I am about to order mine from Amazon and the plate from JCR but seems that JCR runs on back order.
Riding Falcons.

MongeDM

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Bright Freakin' White
Occupation
IT Manager
Dean I saw your comment as I went thought the rest of the replies. I am about to order mine from Amazon and the plate from JCR but seems that JCR runs on back order.
Riding Falcons.
Rusty's winch plate worked incredibly well for me. It is VERY solid with thick steel and very hefty. The mount points are strong and very secure. I would highly recommend Rusty's winch mount plate if they are in stock. I think you are going to be in a win-win either way you go. Enjoy and definitely post pix.

I looked up the Falcon M/C...very cool looking ride! I ran across a member of a Sabre group with the call sign "Jetman" and wanted to check.

Jetman

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon JLU
Rusty's winch plate worked incredibly well for me. It is VERY solid with thick steel and very hefty. The mount points are strong and very secure. I would highly recommend Rusty's winch mount plate if they are in stock. I think you are going to be in a win-win either way you go. Enjoy and definitely post pix.

I looked up the Falcon M/C...very cool looking ride! I ran across a member of a Sabre group with the call sign "Jetman" and wanted to check.
Does the Rusty's plate come with a fair lead plate too? I mean not for a license plate but to cover all the openings after removing the plastic one.
Sponsored