roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Really just interested in how bad it may impact the alignment/tire ware and ride quality. Just springs and shocks, seems like a little more may be needed. For the relatively low cost of the kit I may just try it and see. It would be nice to find out from someone how bad the caster and camber get though.
Caster should increase, making it "better", not worse. Camber won't change on a solid axle.
Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
At the risk of getting flamed, I am going to resurrect this thread from the dead.

The why:
We have three 80+ year old parents we are transporting around on a regular basis.

Option A - trade the JL in on a van.. if we could find one.. 🤮

Option B - AirRock, not sure how low it goes and 💰 💰 💰 💰 💰 💰

Option C - Ghost the parents 🤔

Option D - put a heavy tint on the windows so no one can see me and install this lowering kit. Its easily reversible in the future.

I would just buy a used vehicle but the prices are still crazy. All our "jeep" trips are in our JTR so not really missing out on the off roading.

So really would be interested if anyone has done this. PM me if you want to hide your identity : )
It's called a step stool.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Really just interested in how bad it may impact the alignment/tire ware and ride quality. Just springs and shocks, seems like a little more may be needed. For the relatively low cost of the kit I may just try it and see. It would be nice to find out from someone how bad the caster and camber get though.
Caster will change, but it should improve from where it is now. Camber won't change. I would assume that your axles will also move to the passenger side about an inch as they move about that far to the driver side when lifting a couple of inches. It shouldn't hurt driveability at all, but if you want them centered as they should be, you'll need track bars that can be adjusted shorter than stock.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
At the risk of getting flamed, I am going to resurrect this thread from the dead.

The why:
We have three 80+ year old parents we are transporting around on a regular basis.

Option A - trade the JL in on a van.. if we could find one.. 🤮

Option B - AirRock, not sure how low it goes and 💰 💰 💰 💰 💰 💰

Option C - Ghost the parents 🤔

Option D - put a heavy tint on the windows so no one can see me and install this lowering kit. Its easily reversible in the future.

I would just buy a used vehicle but the prices are still crazy. All our "jeep" trips are in our JTR so not really missing out on the off roading.

So really would be interested if anyone has done this. PM me if you want to hide your identity : )
2nd the step stool idea. This works well for my brother-in-law's truck with a 4" lift for his 90+ year old mom.

Sponsored

Rubigone

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I like the idea, could get some people to buy Jeeps which normally would get a renegade or something because of the height. The more the merrier.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Caster should increase, making it "better", not worse. Camber won't change on a solid axle.
Uptravel would be miniscule. Alignment should be fine, but I’d worry about smacking bump stops on a smooth road.

Jcsii

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mb, cj, tj, jt
Step stool works ok for occasional use now but at that age all it takes is one fall and we are in for a hip replacement.

If I go this route I had forgotten about the bump stops.

Not that the complete kit is in my budget range, and I think its out of stock anyway, but has anyone gone the AiRock route? Would it drop below the factory height? A friend of mine has one on his TJ.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Step stool works ok for occasional use now but at that age all it takes is one fall and we are in for a hip replacement.

If I go this route I had forgotten about the bump stops.

Not that the complete kit is in my budget range, and I think its out of stock anyway, but has anyone gone the AiRock route? Would it drop below the factory height? A friend of mine has one on his TJ.
Honestly the Jeep is just a silly vehicle to try and haul senior citizens around in on a regular basis.

Sponsored

Jcsii

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mb, cj, tj, jt
I think your underestimating the versatility of the platform. We didn't buy to haul seniors around, just happens to be what we have. Anything I trade for in this market would be way over priced and give us less storage room and not much better, if not less, gas mileage.

But I do understand, I would consider this a short term solution.

If it helps balance out the equation, I could lift my JT to offset the drop in the JL......

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
My folks are in their late 60s and I know that my Jeep is not a good vehicle for driving them around. So when we have to go somewhere I drive their SUV. But I also live 12hrs away so we don't have that many opportunities to see each other.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I think your underestimating the versatility of the platform. We didn't buy to haul seniors around, just happens to be what we have. Anything I trade for in this market would be way over priced and give us less storage room and not much better, if not less, gas mileage.

But I do understand, I would consider this a short term solution.

If it helps balance out the equation, I could lift my JT to offset the drop in the JL......
I think the air route (Airock or Accuair) will likely leave you with close to the stock height set at the lowest level.

Maybe a 1" drop would be doable (custom springs) and still maintain drivable bump travel. The shock compressed length is already less than bump so no reason to replace those unless you want to stiffen the ride.

Although a running board style step would work, I think the previously mentioned AMP steps would be a good upgrade from those, obviously not rock sliders. I think there is a wide (XL) version for more step surface.

Not sure your parent's situation, but when my grandparents were in their 90s, my folks traded in their vehicles and purchased a minivan for their trust.

EDIT: I didn't see a mention of model, a sahara is supposed to ride higher than a sport, and sport springs may see a drop of .75", if it's a Rubi closer to 1.5"

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
Get a two step fold flat stool. My 69 year old wife used one similar to this to get into my 2 door TJ on 35's with a four inch lift. She was fresh out the door of the hospital with a complete knee replacement while we were snowbirding in the motorhome.

two step stool 1.jpg
Sponsored