Sponsored

Skyjacker 2.5" Kit Install and Pics on JL Wrangler

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Can't wait to see the finished product and a review on the ride. Which shocks did you go with?
I will double check when I drop it off but I think they are putting M95s on. I am going to measure the stock height before and after as I will have stock wheels and tires on it until Monday.
Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Skyjacker just responded to my email requesting shock lengths for the 3.5" kit.
Front: 28.71 Extended, 16.79 Collapsed (11.92 Travel)
Rear: 29.83 Extended, 17.30 Collapsed (12.53 Travel)

They also mentioned they offer control arms(I can't stand cam bolts.) Part #JL24LL

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger

They also mentioned they offer control arms(I can't stand cam bolts.) Part #JL24LL
So Chris you've installed the Mopar 2" and you've seen the photo's of the Skyjacker lift. Is it just me or does that Mopar lift look bigger? You bought a RC BB lift for yours for the time being didn't you.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the Mopar seems sits taller than my 2.5" BB. The skyjacker 2-2.5 also looks to sit higher. The short shock travel and spring issues push me away from the Mopar kit. I do love the ride quality of the Mopar kit... I'm curious how the skyjacker rides on the JL.
Here is a shot of my RC kit & 37's compared to a customers Mopar kit with 35's. They look about the same height even though I should be 1" taller from the tires alone.
DSC_0867.JPG

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Yeah, the Mopar seems sits taller than my 2.5" BB. The skyjacker 2-2.5 also looks to sit higher. The short shock travel and spring issues push me away from the Mopar kit. I do love the ride quality of the Mopar kit... I'm curious how the skyjacker rides on the JL.
Here is a shot of my RC kit & 37's compared to a customers Mopar kit with 35's. They look about the same height even though I should be 1" taller from the tires alone.
DSC_0867.JPG
Thanks. So how much lift do you think that Mopar really is?

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I would say between 2.5-3" front. Measuring from the axle tube to the ridge on the spring perch(Where tire sizes don't mess with the measurements) the mopar kit sits .25" taller than my 2.5" front spacer.
The rear is a little harder to measure, but given the slightly more forward rake I would say 2.25-2.5"

Dbwy

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Chris,
Sorry if this is off topic, but what made you choos the RC lift over the RE lift? I'm going to do one or the other, and just wondering. Eventually I'll do something better, but want something for now until I have more options.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Chris,
Sorry if this is off topic, but what made you choos the RC lift over the RE lift? I'm going to do one or the other, and just wondering. Eventually I'll do something better, but want something for now until I have more options.
Price... I personally don't see enough of a difference to justify spending 2x as much. If the kit included springs/shocks etc then money wouldn't have been as much of a concern(I don't mind paying for quality springs/shocks/control arms etc.)

Either choice would have been temporary for me, so I decided to go with the one that was more "budget friendly." I've installed a lot of RC kits for customers and have never had a failure related to fabricated components. Early on with the JK I had a few shocks come back, but RC was always quick to warranty them without any hassle.

Dbwy

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for the fast response. I'm in the same boat as you, as the spacer lift will be temporary. I really didn't want to pay close to $400 for a spacer lift, so I'll probable go with the RC for now. Thanks again!

Chino78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty
Occupation
Engineer

Wow!... 12" travel sounds like a lot.... What do you think would be the limiting factors in the JL for long travel suspensions?... control arms binding? Trac bar? Driveshaft? Exhaust?

Sponsored

Devildog23

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Sierra All Terrian with 6” lift and waiting on a JL
Friday night I installed the Skyjacker 2.5" kit on my JLU Rubi. Here are some pics and thoughts.

The kit comes with progressive rate springs, M95 monotube shocks, 4 new sway bar links, and bumpstop spacers. Install wasn't bad. The instructions were a bit excessive. They wanted you to drop the steering and front driveshaft. I didn't have to. Just had to use a little muscle to pop in the front springs. You do have to loosen and unplug brakes and electrical connections.

I like that there are no more bar pins in the rear shocks, but the bolts behind the plastic are a bit annoying in the front. The install was easier than a JK. No exhaust spacers or popping off brake brackets.

The drive was instantly better. The coils seem just a bit stiffer. Not as much float while highway cruising or squat when taking off. The guys at the shop were amazed how well it drove on 37 Procomp MT2s. You can let go of the wheel at highway speeds and it tracks great. No squeaks or pops. Front coils are perfectly straight.

I would eventually add trac bars. The axles are shifted about 0.5 inches. Not a big deal, but always room for improvement
20180226_114941.jpg
20180311_150219.jpg
20180226_114941.jpg
20180311_150219.jpg
20180311_150153.jpg
20180311_150211.jpg
20180311_150158.jpg
. I would also like to take some time to flex it out and watch brake lines and electrical connections for stretch. It had a crazy amount of down travel coming off the rack.

I took measurements before and after. The heights are from top of tread on the 37s to the bottom of the fenders.
LF: 5.25 to 8.25
RF: 4.75 to 8.25
LR: 5.0 to 8.0
RR: 4.5 to 8.0
If you don’t mind me asking what made you go with the 2.5 kit instead of the 3.5
Do you work at 4 wheel parts ? Have you heard if pro comp is coming out with a lift for the JL ?
My guy was saying he hasn’t heard anything about pro comp working on one just that rubicon express is almost ready with there’s
Thanks

Devildog23

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DSC_0867.JPG
So how do you like those XD229 ? Does the spare fit over the back camera ?

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Wow!... 12" travel sounds like a lot.... What do you think would be the limiting factors in the JL for long travel suspensions?... control arms binding? Trac bar? Driveshaft? Exhaust?
I had a JL in today that I was swapping spring pads on(Mopar kit), I wish I would have measured how much free travel the suspension had without shocks. I know the axle can droop a good amount with the electronics and brake line brackets disconnected. On the auto transmission the driveshaft will hit the crossbrace/transmission skid(Again, I wish I had measured how long the shocks could be before this would happen.)
I don't like the angle on the front driveshaft when fully extended(even with the 2.5" lift.) I'm sure, like the JK, the boot will eventually rip on the transfer case end if spending too much time offroad at full extension with longer shocks.

So how do you like those XD229 ? Does the spare fit over the back camera ?
I love the wheels, just heavy like most beadlocks. The wheel/tire combo took very little weight to balance unlike some other beadlocks I've had in the past.
According to the specs of the wheel, and the measurements I found on this site for the base of the camera the wheel should fit over the camera with some room to spare. I haven't tried mounting the spare due to the weight of the beadlock/37. I don't want to find out what the new Magnesium/Aluminum tailgate cost to replace. Genright has their swing out carrier under development that I'm considering(I had one on my JK and loved it.) I'm just curious how the aftermarket is going to handle the camera.

Devildog23

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a JL in today that I was swapping spring pads on(Mopar kit), I wish I would have measured how much free travel the suspension had without shocks. I know the axle can droop a good amount with the electronics and brake line brackets disconnected. On the auto transmission the driveshaft will hit the crossbrace/transmission skid(Again, I wish I had measured how long the shocks could be before this would happen.)
I don't like the angle on the front driveshaft when fully extended(even with the 2.5" lift.) I'm sure, like the JK, the boot will eventually rip on the transfer case end if spending too much time offroad at full extension with longer shocks.

I love the wheels, just heavy like most beadlocks. The wheel/tire combo took very little weight to balance unlike some other beadlocks I've had in the past.
According to the specs of the wheel, and the measurements I found on this site for the base of the camera the wheel should fit over the camera with some room to spare. I haven't tried mounting the spare due to the weight of the beadlock/37. I don't want to find out what the new Magnesium/Aluminum tailgate cost to replace. Genright has their swing out carrier under development that I'm considering(I had one on my JK and loved it.) I'm just curious how the aftermarket is going to handle the camera.

Yeah I was looking at those wheels also I think the best price I’ve gotten so far is $305 per wheel

Chino78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty
Occupation
Engineer
Good info!... So we should point out to the front driveshaft if we want a flexy JL... :like:
Sponsored