Skyjacker 2.5" Kit Install and Pics on JL Wrangler

TacoSmooth

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Friday night I installed the Skyjacker 2.5" kit on my JLU Rubi. Here are some pics and thoughts.

The kit comes with progressive rate springs, M95 monotube shocks, 4 new sway bar links, and bumpstop spacers. Install wasn't bad. The instructions were a bit excessive. They wanted you to drop the steering and front driveshaft. I didn't have to. Just had to use a little muscle to pop in the front springs. You do have to loosen and unplug brakes and electrical connections.

I like that there are no more bar pins in the rear shocks, but the bolts behind the plastic are a bit annoying in the front. The install was easier than a JK. No exhaust spacers or popping off brake brackets.

The drive was instantly better. The coils seem just a bit stiffer. Not as much float while highway cruising or squat when taking off. The guys at the shop were amazed how well it drove on 37 Procomp MT2s. You can let go of the wheel at highway speeds and it tracks great. No squeaks or pops. Front coils are perfectly straight.

I would eventually add trac bars. The axles are shifted about 0.5 inches. Not a big deal, but always room for improvement
20180226_114941.jpg
20180311_150219.jpg
20180226_114941.jpg
20180311_150219.jpg
20180311_150153.jpg
20180311_150211.jpg
20180311_150158.jpg
. I would also like to take some time to flex it out and watch brake lines and electrical connections for stretch. It had a crazy amount of down travel coming off the rack.

I took measurements before and after. The heights are from top of tread on the 37s to the bottom of the fenders.
LF: 5.25 to 8.25
RF: 4.75 to 8.25
LR: 5.0 to 8.0
RR: 4.5 to 8.0
Sponsored

wesbowhunts

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
nice! looks good. i wish they used a linear spring vs the dual rate but good to see that they are straight!

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Hows it ride? Looks good though. I'm waiting for RockKrawler. I've seen way too many people bring their Jeeps in to have Skyjacker replaced with anything else.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Friday night I installed the Skyjacker 2.5" kit on my JLU Rubi. Here are some pics and thoughts.

The kit comes with progressive rate springs, M95 monotube shocks, 4 new sway bar links, and bumpstop spacers. Install wasn't bad. The instructions were a bit excessive. They wanted you to drop the steering and front driveshaft. I didn't have to. Just had to use a little muscle to pop in the front springs. You do have to loosen and unplug brakes and electrical connections.

I like that there are no more bar pins in the rear shocks, but the bolts behind the plastic are a bit annoying in the front. The install was easier than a JK. No exhaust spacers or popping off brake brackets.

The drive was instantly better. The coils seem just a bit stiffer. Not as much float while highway cruising or squat when taking off. The guys at the shop were amazed how well it drove on 37 Procomp MT2s. You can let go of the wheel at highway speeds and it tracks great. No squeaks or pops. Front coils are perfectly straight.

I would eventually add trac bars. The axles are shifted about 0.5 inches. Not a big deal, but always room for improvement.

I would also like to take some time to flex it out and watch brake lines and electrical connections for stretch. It had a crazy amount of down travel coming off the rack.

I took measurements before and after. The heights are from top of tread on the 37s to the bottom of the fenders.
Looks great, hopefully getting their 2.5” Sport kit installed one day this week. Adding a front adjustable track bar to the install. Keep us posted on impressions as it wears in..

Never3nuff

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR , '18 Jaguar F-Pace S
Occupation
retired
Looks good. I took a chance and bought the Mopar lift yesterday. I installed it last night. I was really considering the same lift that you have. I was wondering how the Pro Comp MT2’s were. I want to move up to 37’s now and I saw those tires in person yesterday and they looked good. Nice Hutchinson’s too!

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon

I would eventually add trac bars. The axles are shifted about 0.5 inches. Not a big deal, but always room for improvement
20180226_114941.jpg
20180311_150219.jpg
20180226_114941.jpg
20180311_150219.jpg
20180311_150153.jpg
20180311_150211.jpg
20180311_150158.jpg
. I would also like to take some time to flex it out and watch brake lines and electrical connections for stretch. It had a crazy amount of down travel coming off the rack.

So at full flexing it is ok ? i didnt know they have for sale already. last week at the show in Texas sky jacker told me it would be about 4 more weeks. looks like there is plenty of wheel well with 37s. i know the mopar lift says 2 but it been lifting it about almost 3 they say. by the look of it that looks true. and mopar just had to recall a lot of coils because they were dropping i read. and 2300 with labor. what did 4 wheel parts charge you for the lift and labor if you dont me asking ? i thought about dong the Rubicon express or ready lift at 399 but its just a 2 inch spacer lift but it does keep the nice factory ride. i have done a 2 inch spacer lift on my 2014 JK and 35s and its rides great. and the JL springs and shock are really good but you said this rode better then stock / i rove a Sahara with the mopar lift and 35s and it felt like it was too soft and bouncy as i took off.. heres is the 2 Rubicon
IMG_45131 (1).jpg
express and 2.5 ready lift in the spacer lifts. but if this is a better ride then the stock with 37s and not much morewhich they tolld me about 550 for the lift i might just do this like you did

Ready link 2.5 spacer lift.jpg

OP
OP
TacoSmooth

TacoSmooth

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
The Skyjacker kit just started shipping. I got one of the first out the door.

4 Wheel Parts has the kit listed at $683. I installed it myself in the shop. Labor should be about the same as a JK lift. 4-5 flag hours.

I like the progressive rate springs. Our roads are terrible around here and the jeep seems to eat more of the bumps now.

I haven't had a chance to play offroad yet, but the Procomps balanced out great. On my Hutchinsons, two tires took under 2 ounces and the other two took under 4 ounces. Less weight than was on my factory BFGs. The tires and lift are super smooth on the street. No complaints from the wife or kids. The 37s make some noise, but it was expected.

We installed a RE kit this week. I'm going to follow up with the owner to see what he thinks. I hope to drive it when he comes back in.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon

4 Wheel Parts has the kit listed at $683. I installed it myself in the shop. Labor should be about the same as a JK lift. 4-5 flag hours.

I like the progressive rate springs. Our roads are terrible around here and the jeep seems to eat more of the bumps now.

I haven't had a chance to play offroad yet, but the Procomps balanced out great. On my Hutchinsons, two tires took under 2 ounces and the other two took under 4 ounces. Less weight than was on my factory BFGs. The tires and lift are super smooth on the street. No complaints from the wife or kids. The 37s make some noise, but it was expected.

We installed a RE kit this week. I'm going to follow up with the owner to see what he thinks. I hope to drive it when he comes back in.
683 thats not bad. so it should around 1200 installed i would think so thats about half of the mopar still. but mopar is lifting it about a 3 from they say and what i have seen in person. like someone said though. if they install theirs and it breaks something and was because of the lift and its easyto see thats true they wont cover it because its not theirs. i need to think about that. i dont want a big repair bill because the dealer weasled found a loop hole to not pay and we all know most will

Taco smooth do you think a 2 inch or 2.5 spacer lift where it keeps the stock ride will be a good ride like they say it does ? i mean the stock springs and shocks on the JL are really good on the Rubicon so would it not still keep a good ride ? if so how would that compare to yours you think ?

DudeJeeper

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Granite HardRock Rubicon.

20180226_114941.jpg
20180311_150219.jpg
20180226_114941.jpg
20180311_150219.jpg
20180311_150153.jpg
20180311_150211.jpg
20180311_150158.jpg

Great Install. Thank you for taking the time to pass on the information and Pics. Beautiful JL.

OP
OP
TacoSmooth

TacoSmooth

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Jammer,
Some dealers are good some aren't. My local one has a great sales staff. Not much else. I wouldn't be surprised if thy tried to void warranties. I also know which dealers are more service oriented and send folks their way.

I don't have a problem with spacer lifts. The new JL ones come with so much more than TJ spacer kits. The sway bar drops and bump stop extensions are a great addition. Even shock extensions weren't included back in the day. I sold the RE kit happily. The customer seemed very happy. Installation is straight forward. If that is the way you want, go ahead.

Sponsored

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks very much for this post! I'm on the verge of ordering this kit for my Sahara. I wasn't going to do a lift but seem to have caught the bug.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Jammer,
Some dealers are good some aren't. My local one has a great sales staff. Not much else. I wouldn't be surprised if thy tried to void warranties. I also know which dealers are more service oriented and send folks their way.

I don't have a problem with spacer lifts. The new JL ones come with so much more than TJ spacer kits. The sway bar drops and bump stop extensions are a great addition. Even shock extensions weren't included back in the day. I sold the RE kit happily. The customer seemed very happy. Installation is straight forward. If that is the way you want, go ahead.
I might go that way it depends whats for sale when i get my JL. i want to lift it about 2 inches because anything more then that like the 3 mopars is doing and i think its going to be too much wheel well when i take off factory fenders and put a after market one on. because with the factory fenders just missing the bottom piece and they fit 37s and no lift. and i saw where they did 40s with a 2.5 lift and bottom piece of factory fender off and it looks good

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I am still trying to decide if i am going to go with the 2 or 2.5 spacer lift ora 2.5 lift kit with the springs and shocks like skyjacker has out now. its only about 150 more for the lift with springs and shocks. With the JL the stock ride is really good and dont know if i should try the after market lift. when i test drove a JL with 35s and the mopar lift when i took off if felt soft and felt like it was a little bouncy and i didn't like that feeling. do yal think for 150 more its worth doing the lift with the springs and shocks or just keep the stock ride with a spacer lift ? i dont mind the extra money for ir i just know the stock ride is really nice on the JL and feels good. From a distance you wouldn't really see a difference in height would you or wheel well space should be the same shouldn't it ?

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
THAT MUCH LIFT AND YOU DIDNT CHANGE YOUR CONTROL ARMS??

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
YOU NEED TO ATLEAST CHANGE FRONT LOWERS
Sponsored