Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
  • Banned
Hi All.

Avid reader, new poster.

Question:

So..eventually dual batteries require change on the 3.6L. And access to the Aux battery is easier from the front passenger's wheel wheel than from above.

On the other hand, this DIYer would rather do "5 tasks on a workbench than 1 on the ground"--creaky knees etc.

Despite it being more involved, is there a downside to removing the Power Distribution Center box etc. to get to the Aux battery from above to replace it, aside from more work without bent knees?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Hi All.

Avid reader, new poster.

Question:

So..eventually dual batteries require change on the 3.6L. And access to the Aux battery is easier from the front passenger's wheel wheel than from above.

On the other hand, this DIYer would rather do "5 tasks on a workbench than 1 on the ground"--creaky knees etc.

Despite it being more involved, is there a downside to removing the Power Distribution Center box etc. to get to the Aux battery from above to replace it, aside from more work without bent knees?

Thanks.
@ModsOrMoney

Best to not dismantle the PDC to get to the Aux battery... You can really mess up big time and cause damage that could cost you a thousand $ plus...

Also, to go in from the top/to dismantle the PDC is very time consuming. Can take 45 mins. or more....

Only guys that don't know better or don't realize...... or that disregard the real risks, go in from the top.

FCA has dealer Techs, removing plastic rivets and peeling back the frt. passenger fender liner.. This is aok but when finished you can often see a non stock appearance lets say... different rivets, scratches and such... But it is a way...

Easiest way is to just pull the fender flare... (4-5 bolts, one push pin and one elec. connector to deal with) and I mean easy easy.

You can pull the flare in say 10 min..

Even lst timer can change out the Aux battery in say 30 min. via flare pull. Also, no telltale signs afterwards that you did the deed.

I have done the fender flare way .... geez, probably 8 times so far ... for different guys... again easy to do.... easy to do for most anyone and very very little chance of doing damage or leaving telltale signs.... Oh, and I'm 72 yo, with iffy knees and back...

Read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ent-the-easy-way-pull-the-fender-flare.56807/

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

Either approach has its pros and cons:

If you go through the passenger side fender, you will have to do some minor bodywork getting the fender, liner and the plastic rivets back into place.

I went in from the top: it was relatively straightforward with the exception of re-connecting the wiring harnesses to the bottom of the fuse box. It took me 40 minutes of trying; my fingers are too fat for the small space. Also, be aware that you will have to lift the main battery, which weighs like 50 lbs.; I had a step stool next to the Jeep to avoid herniating myself. Other than that, it was pretty straightforward. And didn't have to play bodyshop mechanic.

Good luck.