AUX Battery 12 or 14 volt?

OP
OP

Jeep1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Oh and autozone didn’t know or didn’t want to be accountable for any misinformation regarding the battery, aux14 or aux12. I end up going with aux 12 since the factory battery is 12 volts also.
Notice the autozone is smaller and made in China hoping it last me 3 years
Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Battery 12 or 14 volt? 788CFCBC-3E59-4621-B90B-32550083E9F8
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Info being thrown around / posted in this thread may be confusing to some....

Just know that an Aux 12 and an Aux 14 are both 12v batteries.
The numbers after the word "Aux" have nothing to do with the voltage of the battery.

When buying an Aux battery for your JL/JLU/JT you want to buy an Aux 14 battery and not an Aux 12 battery.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
After being stranded by a failed Aux battery I decided to with the Genesis dual battery setup. Install was easy but I did stop several times to rewatch the video. Entire process took a little over two hours and everything still works. I did go with the Optima batteries as they are available locally. You do have to use the spacer on the bottom of the batteries and the grab handle also needs to be removed.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@MtCamper your JL and you will be much happier with the additional power available, one suggestion is it would be a good idea to put your new system on a slow conditional charge and ensure the initial volts being pushed to the batteries gets to and is held at 14.2-14.4 for at least 4–6 hrs

Im not sure what Optima recommends but I would look at the charging curve of the batteries you chose and match a charger to it as that’s the best way to get the most out of these batteries but general rule is .20-.35% of the Ah rating for the bulk charge the a float charge is fine.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@MtCamper i just looked at Optima info and seems all their group 25 batteries are pretty much the same for charging but they seem to be firm on charging amps of a max of 10 amp so I would contact them to confirm and if they say yes I would use a NOCO 10 as its a great smart charger and falls within their guidlines.

When you talk with them confirm with them that you are using these batteries in a dual setup where the batteries are connected as one over 99% of the time and if say these are 70 Ah batteries that would be 140 total amps so you may be able to run a higher amp rating especially since these newer smart chargers like CTEK, Odyssey, NOCO all have built in programs that monitor key components of a battery to determine the best charge to apply but in the end I would go with what they suggest.

Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Battery 12 or 14 volt? 40228272-08B0-4FCC-8ACB-5D7442D350F0

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jeep1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Info being thrown around / posted in this thread may be confusing to some....

Just know that an Aux 12 and an Aux 14 are both 12v batteries.
The numbers after the word "Aux" have nothing to do with the voltage of the battery.

When buying an Aux battery for your JL/JLU/JT you want to buy an Aux 14 battery and not an Aux 12 battery.
you are correct, I looked at other pictures online and it’s a 14 amp hour batteryAUX14 vs a 12 amp hour AUX12 I should have gotten the bigger battery.

OP
OP

Jeep1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
After two days the ESS worked normal again. Exactly one week after two new battery install, the voltage is 13-13.5 and sometimes it jumps to 14 for a second while driving and back to 13.2 ish. Then today the CHECK ENGINE alight popped up, went to auto zone and they told me to check my gas cap. Code was P0456

after the check engine light test I went back inside and asked them to check my alternator. It FAILED, so Monday morning I will have to take off work, deal with service department and see if they even will get me a rental Bc I need this Jeep 7 days a week
Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Battery 12 or 14 volt? 60023101-0541-47E6-B73E-38ED4C98CEF5

Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Battery 12 or 14 volt? 03E32144-801D-4408-8FA2-8743D19A5FF4

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Jeep1969 I’m not sure how they test the alternator but if it was tested on the vehicle it’s a hit or miss on it being bad, the alternator runs regardless but it’s the IBS that dictates what charge to throw at the battery so a good test would be disconnect the IBS sensor and then with a meter check the running voltage on the main crank battery, with the IBS disconnected it should be read 14+ volts and when you shut the Jeep off it would then read resting voltage.

These Jeeps use a smart charging system and the IBS monitors the voltage and then tells the alternator how much charge, this by design is supposed to give you increased HP, save gas and confuse us as owners looking at the EVIC voltage display show something different all the time 😉

AZRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
@Jeep1969

OEM Aux battery. It's Mopar part # is 56029759AB

For an aftermarket Aux battery for your JL, ask the parts guy for an
Group Size 400, "AUX14" battery.

Here are 3 , Aux battery aftermarket replacements:

DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, BCI Group Size 400, 200 CCA
Part # AUX14-1

Super Start Platinum Auxiliary Battery Group Size 400
Part #AUX14
@Rhinebeck, do you work for Ruge's? I grew up there and just saw your username. Cheers! :)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck, do you work for Ruge's? I grew up there and just saw your username. Cheers! :)
@AZRubic0n

No, I do not work for Ruge's. My NY home, is right down the road from them..

Bought the Wrangler I presently have from them.

While I am don't care very much for Jeep dealerships (understatement) I do think Ruge's Chrysler Dodge Jeep is a far far above average Jeep dealership......

Why ......largely because the General Manager there, is a straight up guy so to speak. He's very customer oriented and though he looks out for the dealership owner and for Stellantis, he still still looks out for the vehicle owner. He encourages/expects all working under his management to do the same.

Sponsored

AZRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
@AZRubic0n

No, I do not work for Ruge's. My NY home, is right down the road from them..

Bought the Wrangler I presently have from them.

While I am don't care very much for Jeep dealerships (understatement) I do think Ruge's Chrysler Dodge Jeep is a far far above average Jeep dealership......

Why ......largely because the General Manager there, is a straight up guy so to speak. He's very customer oriented and though he looks out for the dealership owner and for Stellantis, he still still looks out for the vehicle owner. He encourages/expects all working under his management to do the same.

I agree. I owned Oldsmobile from them back in the day. While not giving my name, I grew up on Chestnut Street a few houses down from them. 😄

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
@sourdough

I read the blanket statement/comment at Braille's website that I have pasted below. The comment from what I know applies to any and all small lead batteries.... even the stock JL's, Aux battery..

Someone considering installing this Made in the USA, battery could/can reach out to Braille's Customer Support and see if there is more to their blanket statement then just a generic disclaimer in regard to small lead batteries in general and freezing temps.

From Braille:
"(Note: while high in cranking amps, make sure battery has enough capacity for the vehicle intended to be used in and note that small lead batteries are not designed or intended for use is freezing temps) "

I bought Braille battery for my Genesis, but since I need to replace all batteries in a Jeep and Genesis is in storage untill end of spring I will probably use it as AUx in a Jeep and just get a new Braille for Gen.

Stanley Glenn

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon and a 2020 wrangler
After being stranded by a failed Aux battery I decided to with the Genesis dual battery setup. Install was easy but I did stop several times to rewatch the video. Entire process took a little over two hours and everything still works. I did go with the Optima batteries as they are available locally. You do have to use the spacer on the bottom of the batteries and the grab handle also needs to be removed.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)