Sponsored

48 volt eTorque battery reliability/system?

Jeep1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What are u guys experience with the eTorque? YouTube has a lot of info on how it works, but more bias opinions than anything. What are the real world experience from our fellow jeepers?

Anyone know the cost to replace the eTorque battery? I finally got my wife to agree to trade in the 2019 JLUR for a newer 21 model year. With the high market value of my 2019 it made sense to get a new one for a few grand more. Then I started to build my new Jeep and darn, the eTorque is required if you wanted an automatic transmission unless u go diesel or turbo. I wanted to stick with my v6 ESS. Unsure of the eTorque cost and reliability, I’m holding my 2019 for now.
Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I had an 18 with the auxiliary battery and now a 21 with eTorque, and I like the eTorque much better. It’s a smoother start and haven’t had any issues with it, as opposed to the 4 aux batteries I went through on my 2018.

I can’t answer your question about the cost of replacement (I think it’s in the linked thread below, though), but since it’s a mild hybrid system, the 48v battery and related components are covered by a federally mandated 8 year/80k mile warranty.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/e-torque-and-48v-battery-warranty-question.17413/

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Posted about mine just today. I have no idea how much it costs, and would agree that most of the comments about the system are biased and coming from non-owners saying they don’t understand it / don’t trust it / it’s new technology.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...idnt-know-what-they-bought.74335/post-1548533

the hybrid components are covered under a longer warranty than therest of the vehicle and I think it is anybody’s guess if the batteries will be cheaper or more expensive when it comes time to pay for a replacement. There may be aftermarket stuff out there by then (optima?)

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ, 72 Bronco
The LION battery its self is a reliable item based on use by many car companies. The electrical stuff the makes it all work is more questionable. That fancy system would last until the warranty runs out which is the time to move on to an new rig.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have had no issues with my 2018 2.0T, eTorque, 22,000 miles. After the 8 yr, 80,000 mile warranty expires,maybe there will be an " eTorque Delete " kit to simplify it.

Sponsored

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
I would not be surprised to find that alternative battery solutions begin to appear as these systems age out. Battery tech continues to improve and (fingers crossed) get smaller and lighter.

While I have confidence in my 2019 2.0 eTorque at almost 40K in mileage, I've always had that thought in my head that if I'm that unhappy (and I'm not) in 8-10 years, I'll do an engine swap for less than replacing the whole rig. Unless of course, there's a whole new level of hot mess offered by Jeep. Then it's spend the kids college fund (again)!!! :clap::LOL:

shindleria235

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I would not be surprised to find that alternative battery solutions begin to appear as these systems age out. Battery tech continues to improve and (fingers crossed) get smaller and lighter.

While I have confidence in my 2019 2.0 eTorque at almost 40K in mileage, I've always had that thought in my head that if I'm that unhappy (and I'm not) in 8-10 years, I'll do an engine swap for less than replacing the whole rig. Unless of course, there's a whole new level of hot mess offered by Jeep. Then it's spend the kids college fund (again)!!! :clap::LOL:
my thoughts have been pretty similar. by the time the etorque related systems pass warranty (or sooner), i expect to be swapping out for an electric crate motor-type setup and trying to squeeze 200-300 mile range on full-electric out of my 2019. fwiw i'm a former engineer turned developer in the battery space, and y'all will probably not believe how fast EV tech is advancing for energy density. the changes are coming.

to op's question, have had no issues with the system so far at ~25k miles. i try to brake and coast aggressively (esp downhill) to engage the ESS and activate the BSG charging. I learned to drive on a '98 blazer and '04 prius so what i do seems to work fairly well. i know it's goofy/atypical, but I got the etorque 2.0 to get the best MPG possible on the Wrangler frame, and frankly i've been impressed. would love to learn if there end up being ways to tap into the 48V battery system, or even proactively upgrade the lil 0.17kWh or whatever it is under there to something more dense, and more actively engage the etorque for partial hybrid engine assist >1800 RPM.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
What are u guys experience with the eTorque? YouTube has a lot of info on how it works, but more bias opinions than anything. What are the real world experience from our fellow jeepers?

Anyone know the cost to replace the eTorque battery? I finally got my wife to agree to trade in the 2019 JLUR for a newer 21 model year. With the high market value of my 2019 it made sense to get a new one for a few grand more. Then I started to build my new Jeep and darn, the eTorque is required if you wanted an automatic transmission unless u go diesel or turbo. I wanted to stick with my v6 ESS. Unsure of the eTorque cost and reliability, I’m holding my 2019 for now.
I was kind of in the same boat. I felt is was a no brainer to jump up 3 full model years for the same money to replace my old '19 with a new 2022 model.

I sold my '19 JLR 2.0T with eTorque for more more than what I paid for it brand new 2.5 years ago. I just ordered a 2022 JLR last week to replace it. I loved the 2.0T with eTorque. No issues with the 2.0 Turbo or the eTorque. The eTorque is very reliable. I actually prefer the eTorque over the ESS with the 12V Aux battery because if that.I personally feel the eTorque system is less problematic than the ESS system with the 12V Aux battery. The start stop is also MUCH smoother.

I wanted another 2.0 but it is not available with eTorque now. I had to take the 3.6 if I wanted eTorque. I ordered the 3.6 with eTorque because I prefer if over the ESS with aux 12V battery.

TallDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR-XR
I have 750miles on my 3.6 e-torque and I love it! I’ve had 1 3.6 (in my JKUR) and 1 3.8 (JK) and this feels like a well refined and smooth ride! I wish there was more data/details about the e-torque in general.

I found the general and deeper information really lacking. But I’m happy with this engine set up and look forward to many years of driving!

It’s really peppy!

The SS is super smooth but I do try to disable it each time I start it.

I also think it’s super fascinating how there’s no alternative and the system is attached to the crankshaft and fills in gaps between shifts and whatnot!
Sponsored