Sponsored

AUX Battery 12 or 14 volt?

Jeep1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My ESS not working and instead of dealing with the BS from my local dealer, I decided to hit up Autozone to buy a brand new main battery, when I got home. I did some more research and there’s a second one under the PDC. Autozone guys can’t tell me if it’s a 12 or 14 volt bc they have two types. AUX14 and AUX12. Which one should I get? I don’t want to get the wrong one and fry any electronics. And my other solution would take the old battery out and see for myself but I’ll be without a vehicle to get the correct one if I got a wrong one.
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Jeep1969

OEM Aux battery. It's Mopar part # is 56029759AB

For an aftermarket Aux battery for your JL, ask the parts guy for an
Group Size 400, "AUX14" battery.

Here are 3 , Aux battery aftermarket replacements:

DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, BCI Group Size 400, 200 CCA
Part # AUX14-1

Super Start Platinum Auxiliary Battery Group Size 400
Part #AUX14

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
It’s a 12v one @Rhinebeck01 maybe can chime in and give you some numbers, I would but I don’t need or run that stock setup anymore, its not a great setup considering what you have to do to get to the aux battery but pulling the PDC to do it is not the recommended methods as you could possibly damage one of those connectors so it’s recommended you remove a fender flare ( hope you don’t break one of the clips ) and once it’s off you can easily get to it.

Edit… As soon as I finished typing and posting this @multicam has already given the number 👍🏻

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced both batteries last weekend: it is 12 volt.

Autozone didn’t know what batteries my JL took, and didn’t have the auxiliary battery in stock; it was a special order.

O’Reilly knew exactly what batteries my JL took, and had both in stock. The downside is that O’Reilly only carries their own brand, Super Last. But I’ve had good experience with them in the past.

This is the auxiliary battery I got: Super Start Platinum Auxiliary Battery Group Size 400
Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Battery 12 or 14 volt? 78A8A14B-D9CA-42DE-9050-B7A70953E45A

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
We all need to remember that batteries start to degrade from day #1 …

Some of the lesser costly ones don’t last as long as long but in the end the days of getting 6-7 years from batteries are long gone even with the high $$$ ones.

The biggest help we do for our batteries is to keep them at peak charge and the deep cycling of constantly pulling them down either thru parasitic draw or just use shortens any battery life a lot .

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I replaced both batteries last weekend: it is 12 volt.

Autozone didn’t know what batteries my JL took, and didn’t have the auxiliary battery in stock; it was a special order.

O’Reilly knew exactly what batteries my JL took, and had both in stock. The downside is that O’Reilly only carries their own brand, Super Last. But I’ve had good experience with them in the past.

This is the auxiliary battery I got: Super Start Platinum Auxiliary Battery Group Size 400
Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Battery 12 or 14 volt? 78A8A14B-D9CA-42DE-9050-B7A70953E45A
I would not be too concerned about the batteries being a house brand. It's probably made by a big brand anyway. About a half a dozen or so companies make most of the batteries.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I would not be too concerned about the batteries being a house brand. It's probably made by a big brand anyway. About a half a dozen or so companies make most of the batteries.
Indeed. I’ve had good luck with house brand batteries in the past.

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Batteries, I just replaced 4 in my RV @ $1400. The old ones at least lasted 8 years so I replaced with same, Lifeline made in the USA. My JLR is needing the aux. very soon, never stops charging.
Thanks for the heads up on options Rhinebeck01
Interesting note about the Braille battery. On there site about the B2015 is a note that says not intended for freezing temperatures ?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Batteries, I just replaced 4 in my RV @ $1400. The old ones at least lasted 8 years so I replaced with same, Lifeline made in the USA. My JLR is needing the aux. very soon, never stops charging.
Thanks for the heads up on options Rhinebeck01
Interesting note about the Braille battery. On there site about the B2015 is a note that says not intended for freezing temperatures ?
@sourdough

I read the blanket statement/comment at Braille's website that I have pasted below. The comment from what I know applies to any and all small lead batteries.... even the stock JL's, Aux battery..

Someone considering installing this Made in the USA, battery could/can reach out to Braille's Customer Support and see if there is more to their blanket statement then just a generic disclaimer in regard to small lead batteries in general and freezing temps.

From Braille:
"(Note: while high in cranking amps, make sure battery has enough capacity for the vehicle intended to be used in and note that small lead batteries are not designed or intended for use is freezing temps) "

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
OP
OP

Jeep1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL AUX Battery 12 or 14 volt? EBE86B2E-7E49-455B-85E5-2BFA5654C2CE

So I end up changing out the main and aux battery. ESS still doesn’t work and even tho I drove around for 20 mins, the dash message just kept saying battery is charging so ESS can’t not work. Good thing is my remote start works now ! Long story but I was on vacation two weeks ago, 8 hour drive to our destination. Next morning Jeep wouldn’t start. I had to get a jump start, drove to autozone, purchased a new battery, put it in the truck and drove around town with it just in case I need a jump. Next time I’ll just replace the aux buy pulling the fender. I didn’t have time to wait for clips to come in as my Sunday is my only day off from work.
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E