Sponsored

Selec-trac vs Rubicon

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I am about half way through that thread and there are rubicon owners with the same issues. Looks like inferior carrier bearings were used in the D44's. Curious if FCA requested this setup from Dana or if it was just a design change. I am leaning toward the first and FCA being cheap.
Never mind, looks like that was a different issue for the rubicons. Bad clutch packs on the LSD is what indeed appears to be happening. No new part# revisions yet for the differential case though. I will be listening closely to mine and checking my rear fluid to see if its black.

This should be a recall, i can see this affecting people after their 3/36 is up. And it will not be a cheap fix!
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Never mind, looks like that was a different issue for the rubicons. Bad clutch packs on the LSD is what indeed appears to be happening. No new part# revisions yet for the differential case though. I will be listening closely to mine and checking my rear fluid to see if its black.

This should be a recall, i can see this affecting people after their 3/36 is up. And it will not be a cheap fix!
Shouldn't be much of an issue unless they're defective from the factory. If someone is in poor traction scenarios so often that they're wearing out the LSD clutches so soon then I would suggest an upgrade to a Rubicon is in order.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Shouldn't be much of an issue unless they're defective from the factory. If someone is in poor traction scenarios so often that they're wearing out the LSD clutches so soon then I would suggest an upgrade to a Rubicon is in order.
My understanding is they are defective from Dana. That was coming from someone who spoke to one of their reps in that thread.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding is they are defective from Dana. That was coming from someone who spoke to one of their reps in that thread.
Ah, something to keep an eye (or ear) out for. I haven't noticed anything with mine yet, but I've only been in one situation where I've actually lost traction so far.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Ah, something to keep an eye (or ear) out for. I haven't noticed anything with mine yet, but I've only been in one situation where I've actually lost traction so far.
Its happening at speeds around 20mph during deceleration under normal driving.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

Mamacast

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Just placed an order last night for a Sahara with Selec-Trac. After talking with FCA yesterday it calmed my fears and the warranty, while a pita to utilize, provides some sort of security. The person I spoke to at FCA had just ordered his with Selec-Trac and he was surprised by the thread that I had linked.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just placed an order last night for a Sahara with Selec-Trac. After talking with FCA yesterday it calmed my fears and the warranty, while a pita to utilize, provides some sort of security. The person I spoke to at FCA had just ordered his with Selec-Trac and he was surprised by the thread that I had linked.
Welcome to the Jeep family. I'm pretty sure Selec-Trac will fill your needs nicely.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Put something more snow worthy than the stock tires on and that Sahara with Selectrac/LSD will be unbeatable in snow.
Depends on which tire it comes with. The Goodyear ATs on mine work pretty good in the snow. I'm not so confidant looking at the bridgestones, but they might do okay.

Sponsored

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Depends on which tire it comes with. The Goodyear ATs on mine work pretty good in the snow. I'm not so confidant looking at the bridgestones, but they might do okay.
I had the Bridgestone Duellers on both my 2010 and 2015 Saharas and thought they were great in the snow.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had the Bridgestone Duellers on both my 2010 and 2015 Saharas and thought they were great in the snow.
You'd probably laugh at my snow, so I'll definitely take your word as gospel! lol

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
You'd probably laugh at my snow, so I'll definitely take your word as gospel! lol
Actually, I have always theorized that the snow in the south, what little you get, is far worse. Typically it is preceded by rain that then freezes and you get snow on top of that. While people in the south do not have as much experience driving in winter conditions when there is snow it is usually the wet heavy variety that is the worst to drive on.

Every year our first snowfalls produce a lot of crashes and people always say "everybody forgot how to drive in the snow". I think it has more to do with those first snowfalls creating some of the worst driving conditions. (coupled with the fact that we are a little out of practice) This year our first snowfall was maybe around 2 inches and there were 23 crashes in my town that the police responded to. But it started as sleet and freezing rain. We will get 4 to 5 inches of powdery snow and there will not be nearly as many.

Several inches of mid-winter snow when it stays well below freezing is not really all that bad. Especially if you have a Jeep that isn't trying to plow through the snow like a car does.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, I have always theorized that the snow in the south, what little you get, is far worse. Typically it is preceded by rain that then freezes and you get snow on top of that. While people in the south do not have as much experience driving in winter conditions when there is snow it is usually the wet heavy variety that is the worst to drive on.

Every year our first snowfalls produce a lot of crashes and people always say "everybody forgot how to drive in the snow". I think it has more to do with those first snowfalls creating some of the worst driving conditions. (coupled with the fact that we are a little out of practice) This year our first snowfall was maybe around 2 inches and there were 23 crashes in my town that the police responded to. But it started as sleet and freezing rain. We will get 4 to 5 inches of powdery snow and there will not be nearly as many.

Several inches of mid-winter snow when it stays well below freezing is not really all that bad. Especially if you have a Jeep that isn't trying to plow through the snow like a car does.
I think your assessment is spot on, but add to it the fact that the snow will start to melt during the day and refreeze at night making everything a sheet of ice in short order.

Also our DOT never adequately prepares for the winter. :asshat:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I got my Sahara with Selec-Trac and 33” KO2s ready!

Can’t wait for some snow now... :LOL:
Sponsored