Selec-trac

gex598

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Is Selec-trac 4Auto meant to be left engaged all the time? The Jeep has a much nicer 'feel' to it when its on vs when its in 2H.
Sponsored

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
It doesn' do anything unless a rear tire spins. I've had the same type auto 4x4 case in the last 3 trucks. You really shouldn' feel any differene from 2 to auto unless you loose traction in the rear. That bring said I used it in the rain when i would have to pull out on a road.

Gremluc

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Challenger & 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
Is Selec-trac 4Auto meant to be left engaged all the time? The Jeep has a much nicer 'feel' to it when its on vs when its in 2H.
Based on what the manual says - you can leave it engaged all the time, however you get better gas mileage when left in 4H. I agree with you on the nicer feel - I use the 4Auto in the rain. Also the engine RPMs seem to run a little lower at same speed when in 4Auto. Anyway I like the option - & the difference in gas mileage is maybe 1 or 2 MPG.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
It doesn' do anything unless a rear tire spins. I've had the same type auto 4x4 case in the last 3 trucks. You really shouldn' feel any differene from 2 to auto unless you loose traction in the rear. That bring said I used it in the rain when i would have to pull out on a road.
Are you sure? Car based with awd are FWD and only connect the rear wheels when needed. I think the Jeep is like other trucks or suv that actually connect a third differential sending power to front and rear axles as required. It makes a difference!!!
I have Rubicon so I don’t have that system. But I suggest you check again.

Sponsored

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you sure? Car based with awd are FWD and only connect the rear wheels when needed. I think the Jeep is like other trucks or suv that actually connect a third differential sending power to front and rear axles as required. It makes a difference!!!
I have Rubicon so I don’t have that system. But I suggest you check again.
I was talking about the 3 trucks I've had with it. Not cars. 2 rams and 1 08 Silverado. All with auto 4wd transfer case. I used it the rain and in the snow. You could punch all 3 in the rain and they would hook and go, so when do you think the fronts would kick In?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was talking about the 3 trucks I've had with it. Not cars. 2 rams and 1 08 Silverado. All with auto 4wd transfer case. I used it the rain and in the snow. You could punch all 3 in the rain and they would hook and go, so when do you think the fronts would kick In?
I’m saying in 4 auto there is no difference between front axle and rear axle. There is a third differential in the transfer case that splits the traction between axles in the same way a differential splits between the two tires in the same axle. There is no “kick in” the other axle. In 2 H is only the rear differential getting power. In 4H auto there are three differentials in place. In 4H part time (4H Locked) the third differential is locked sending power to both front and rear axles at the same speed.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok Sounds like you must be right. I didnt know they used a third differential though. I just figured it was the transfercase. Learn something new everyday.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Based on what the manual says . . .
And there's the rub - a lot (most?) homo sapien males don't read the manual until something (usually bad) happens.

I suppose I'm a genetic aberration, because I read the manual as soon as I return home after taking delivery, and I refer to it often until I'm comfortably famiiar with the vehicle.

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok Sounds like you must be right. I didnt know they used a third differential though. I just figured it was the transfercase. Learn something new everyday.
I’m not 100% sure on the Sahara. That’s what I expect since it is heavy duty. AND since the drivers are saying they do feel a difference on 4Hauto, then I am pretty confident that there is a third differential. Light duty AWD like Jeep Renegade, RAV4, Honda CRV and cheaper cars with AWD are FWD with an electric clutch that engages the rear axle as required. In this case you don’t feel any difference between modes.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I said I have that case in 4wd trucks not cars. If it feels different to people ,i dont know how it would unless the rear tires spin and the front engages.im done with this. Have a good one.
Sponsored