Selec-trac vs Rubicon

Mamacast

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
So I am trying to decide which of these drive trains is more suited to me. I really don't want to have to make a choice on snowy roads whether or not I need to put it into 4H, by the time you realize it it is too late ;-). I think I am wanting something that takes the everyday driving decisions out of the equation and I thought Selec-trac did that but I have a salesman friend who has a screaming deal on a 2019 Rubicon and he is saying that "With the better ESP Electronic Stability Program you will never need the select train (sic)" Can anyone describe what the differences are? Thanks so much.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like he is trying to unload that Rubicon.

Ask him if he is willing to give you a similar screaming deal on a Sahara with Selec-Trac. That’d be a win-win...!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
PS - are you in Colorado? Is this going to be a family commuter? Yeah, I’d press on a Sahara with Selec-Trac.

Good luck.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The key to driving on snow is to slow the hell down. Especially with a top-heavy vehicle. My favorite vehicle to drive in the snow is my wife's civic, because I can stop.

Sponsored

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I think I am wanting something that takes the everyday driving decisions out of the equation and I thought Selec-trac did that but I have a salesman friend who has a screaming deal on a 2019 Rubicon and he is saying that "With the better ESP Electronic Stability Program you will never need the select train (sic)"
Did you ask what that means (or did you google it)? I personally don't know what that is, but I do know that the Rubicon is FAR more suited for it's offroad capabilities than daily driving in the winter on snowy city roads. I fought HARD for a Rubicon but ended up with a Sahara in the end BECAUSE of the Selec-Trac. If you get a lot of snow and this will be your daily driver (with offroad capabilities) then there isn't even a question here (IMO). Sahara for the win.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Slightly off topic, but are you looking at the 3.6 V6 or the 2T? At sea level both have very comparable performance.

But I see you're in Breck, which has an elevation of like 13k ft. For you, I would HIGHLY encourage you to buy the 2.0T. Naturally aspirated engines lose somewhere around half their HP above 10k ft, because of the thinner air. Turbochargers work to offset this drop (they still experience some loss in power, but nowhere near naturally aspirated engines). I have a friend who just moved to Aspen and is constantly whining about the sluggishness of the vehicle she used to love driving when she lived at 1k here in Ohio.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Did you ask what that means (or did you google it)? I personally don't know what that is, but I do know that the Rubicon is FAR more suited for it's offroad capabilities than daily driving in the winter on snowy city roads. I fought HARD for a Rubicon but ended up with a Sahara in the end BECAUSE of the Selec-Trac. If you get a lot of snow and this will be your daily driver (with offroad capabilities) then there isn't even a question here (IMO). Sahara for the win.
Meh. Get good tires and slow down.

Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
The only scenario where the Rubicon may have the advantage in snow is when the vehicle is stuck in very deep snow. Otherwise, Sahara with LSD.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I think that is electronic stability control on the JLs. Pretty sure all jeeps have it as FCA started it as ESP on the jks.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
There’s been a lot of problems with the LSD. I have the Sahara and really wished I got a Rubi instead.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
There’s been a lot of problems with the LSD. I have the Sahara and really wished I got a Rubi instead.
I got the Sahara in great part because of Selec-Trac.

Whenever the factory clutch-based LSD wears out, I plan to replace it with a Detroit TrueTrac: those things are virtually indestructible.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Slightly off topic, but are you looking at the 3.6 V6 or the 2T? At sea level both have very comparable performance.

But I see you're in Breck, which has an elevation of like 13k ft. For you, I would HIGHLY encourage you to buy the 2.0T. Naturally aspirated engines lose somewhere around half their HP above 10k ft, because of the thinner air. Turbochargers work to offset this drop (they still experience some loss in power, but nowhere near naturally aspirated engines). I have a friend who just moved to Aspen and is constantly whining about the sluggishness of the vehicle she used to love driving when she lived at 1k here in Ohio.
I did back to back test drives to compare engines on 11 separate occasions at 9 different dealers on long island (about as sea level as it gets). All were 4 door automatic Rubicons that were comparably optioned, to not taint the waters of gear ratio and weight. Being half deaf, I couldn't tell the difference in engine noise without leaning towards the wheelwell. I also bet each salesman $20 bucks that I could guess the engine by driving it, which accomplished my goals of not being told while also extending the drive time. Some rattled more than others, some wandered more than others, but the one thing that remained constant was the quite noticeable torque advantage of the 2.0T throughout the rpm range. The 3.6 didn't seem to wake up until much higher rpm's and it also required more throttle input to reach a given rpm compared to the 2.0T.

With that being said, I would still recommend to anyone that should happen upon these words and is on the fence about engine choice to go out on at least a couple of their own comparison test drives.
Sponsored