Sponsored

EU Rubicon has both Rock-Trac and Selec-Trac??

sdcrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler crd
So the wrangler has been officially revealed at the Geneva motor show today and both the pictures and press release state that the Rubicon has both a standard Rock-trac system with 4.0:1 low-range along with the full time Selec-Trac transfer case. Do any of you guys who know the mechanics behind these systems know whether this is even possible or might it be a mistake? If actually true, why wouldn't this be offered in the US? Seems rather illogical.
Sponsored

StyleGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GMC YUKON DENALI, 2017 JAGUAR XE, 2014 MASERATI GHIBLI SQ4
The Rock-Trac and Selec-Trac are different transfer cases with different ratios. I guess the Selec-trac could be built with the 4:1 low range but I doubt they did. I think a journalist is confused, although I would buy it if available here.

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
I've read the press release again. I may be wrong here, but my feeling is that they are trying to (re)use terms in different contexts. In the press release they are referring the available 4x4 systems as a whole (i.e. transfer case, lockers, etc) as rock-track and command-track, while the transfer case alone is referred as selec-track.

It may be a mistake, but it may also be a departure from the old nomenclature. Confusing, indeed!

OP
OP

sdcrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler crd
It seems like they actually did manage to combine Selec-Trac and Rock-Trac with the 4:1 and lockers on the EU Rubicon, I think these images are the first confirmation. Notice the shifter in the Rubicon with the 4 auto position.

-width-1220-height-1220-quality-60-interlace-1-hash-17e17a2c523e649c6d30be1a9a5a5956ac58eabf-jpg.jpg
-width-1220-height-1220-quality-60-interlace-1-hash-d6ff43ac2d1b5a9f5ea176a4faeade99718454d7-jpg.jpg

OP
OP

sdcrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler crd
S0-jeep-wrangler-retour-vers-le-futur-video-en-direct-du-salon-de-geneve-2018-545787.jpg

Once again, Selec-trac with both lockers and supposedly 4:1 low range

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Wake me up when they offer 4H Auto with the manual transmission; that would be a first in the U.S., AFAIK.

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
We don’t even get a manual, nor the 3,6L at all in Europe.

mdallas

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M50i, BMW X5 40i, JLU Sahara
A Rubicon with CV Joints? that won't go over very well!! something odd going on.

OP
OP

sdcrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler crd
A Rubicon with CV Joints? that won't go over very well!! something odd going on.
We still actually don't know whether the EU Rubicon will have CV joints. The US Selec-trac does but then again that is fitted to the weaker Sahara axles. The EU Rubicon employs the Selec-Trac transfer case but combined with standard Rubicon axles which in the US at least come with U joints. Guess more waiting for these details is ahead of us.

mdallas

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M50i, BMW X5 40i, JLU Sahara
We still actually don't know whether the EU Rubicon will have CV joints. The US Selec-trac does but then again that is fitted to the weaker Sahara axles. The EU Rubicon employs the Selec-Trac transfer case but combined with standard Rubicon axles which in the US at least come with U joints. Guess more waiting for these details is ahead of us.
I could be wrong, but thought it was Selec-Trac only that has CV joints? I also noticed that the EU Rubicon does not have the high fenders.

there are some Geneva videos on Youtube

Sponsored

Dohap

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LC, G461
Axles are more narrow, that’s why we see 32 instead of 33 tires. I think it’s just 4:1 transfer case combined with sahara axles. So only difference is tcase, lockers and disc sway bar.

OP
OP

sdcrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler crd
I could be wrong, but thought it was Selec-Trac only that has CV joints? I also noticed that the EU Rubicon does not have the high fenders.

there are some Geneva videos on Youtube
You are quite right
Axles are more narrow, that’s why we see 32 instead of 33 tires. I think it’s just 4:1 transfer case combined with sahara axles. So only difference is tcase, lockers and disc sway bar.
Actually no, they are narrower compared to US version but it has been confirmed in the press release that in the Rubicon they are "front and rear heavy-duty next-generation Dana 44 axles", not the case in the Sahara. So it's more like Selec-Trac transfer case added to narrower Rubicon axles.

Dohap

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LC, G461
I hope so. What about gear ratio?
Sponsored