Gotta love Selec-Trac!

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The VW forum that I was previously part of had a lot of Canadians, and they recommended the X-Ice and the Nokian Hakkas the most. The Michelins were half the cost of the Hakkas at the time and almost equally rated...

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Thanks for your kind note. I used to be part of that forum too. Had too many Jettas. And another forum...Tdiclub too. I've tried many different brands of snowtires. For cars my preference is Michelin's X-Ice series, followed by Blizzak. Had horrible issues with Hakka's on a Bimmer. The Bridgestone snows on the '19 JLU were just ok. There wasn't a significant advantage like I expected . However, putting them in the basement for storage, and retrieving summer tires in spring/storing the BS tires was a deal breaker. Simply a strength problem. I ain't as young and strong as I was....

Fingers are crossed. Running the factory wheels and BFG all terrain tires that came on the RUBI. By the time winter comes I bet there won't be any snow tires left to buy. Hope I've made a good choice.
Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Winter tires makes a huge difference. In snowy conditions, my wife's FWD Honda Civic with winter tires will run circles around my son's AWD Subaru Legacy with all-season tires.
You're right.
My experience....I don't need 4WD. I do need advanced modern snow tires.. They are much better than snowtires used to be. And there are too many drivers here with no winterdriving skills, and cars that aren't properly prepared for winter.

I was a ski instructor for 35 years. Part time. 5 nights and one day on the weekend....and lots of winter experiences.