Andrewrdc

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon 3.6 Manual
Hello all...

I am an active backpacker, hiker and often park my jeep overnight (or several nights) at out of the way locations in the back-country. After a long trip or even a long day-hike, I would often wonder if my jeep is going to still be where I left it!

With my previous Jeep (JK), I had a hood lock and a simple battery disconnect so I could cut the power and then lock the hood. With my new Jeep, a (2023 Rubi with Manual Trans) I immediately installed a Bolt hood lock but then learned that disconnecting the battery was not going to be as simple as with my 2008 JK. Firstly, with the Aux battery, its not just a matter of disconnecting one terminal anymore. Also, these newer Jeeps are more like rolling computers and I am seriously concerned about how the computer would react to being disconnected for a few hours or days. What kind of electronic gremlins are going to show up with UConnect, what kind of codes are going to get thrown... hell, will the Jeep even start once I reconnect the power.

SO, It occurred to me that a better solution may be to disable the vehicle by pulling one or more specific fuses from under the hood so a would be thief could not fire up the engine (via hot-wiring or replicating the key-fob electronic signature... god only knows how they steal cars these days!). Two fuses come to mind, the Starter and/or the fuel pump fuse/relay (I believe both are fuses in the JL, but please correct me if im wrong).

SOOO... question to the group is, are either of these two fuses the best options? What could be any negative consequences to pulling the Starter fuse? What about the fuel pump fuse? I have a small concern that a thief might crank away until the battery dies If I disable the fuel pump fuse, but it is an option.

All feedback welcome! Thanks,

Andrew
Sponsored

Nvrmor

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubi on order
Occupation
Brandt power unit operator
I would pull the asd relay on my other Jeeps in the past it may work for the JL

or

Tazer has a pin lock feature where you enter a self created pin with a series of buttons that I use now

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
A guy I used to know installed a rocker switch for the fuel pump, hidden under the dash somewhere.

Just make sure to park on a hill so if the battery is out, you can bump start!

Sponsored

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
Unfortunately as soon as the Tazer is pulled out, it defeats that functionality.
True, but how many potential thiefs will know what to remove and where to plug the wires back in?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
There are dozens of ways to electrically disable these things. Find a unique way that suits your needs and minimizes introducing failures that reduce your Jeep's reliability. Then don't blab it all over the internet.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
True, but how many potential thiefs will know what to remove and where to plug the wires back in?
They don't need to plug them back in.

There is currently a theft ring operating in my area. They don't use OBDII at all but the STAR connector. They know about the Tazer option and are unplugging them. They can get a jeep in less than 5 minutes.

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I can confirm you can pull the fuel pump fuse if you want and the jeep will start for a few seconds and then die and be unable to restart, it will just crank. I had to do this when installing engine parts.

Sponsored

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
maybe another option, iā€™m not sure? looks like it might work in theory? what do you guys think? this of course if you had a hood lock that wasnā€™t pickable but as i understand it, theyā€™re pretty easy to pick

4CEEDE6A-2BA0-4B17-BBE8-B56005EC870C.png

64F098A4-5BC9-4A03-8255-4EDA9987940D.png

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
If you pull a fuse someone might find that. If you cut some wires somewhere and splice in a switch it would be an unconventional thing that would be hard for a thief to find. I spliced a switch into my coil wire many years ago when I had a car with a coil. On a Wrangler it might be easier to splice into the starter wire or into the fuel pump wire. These are DIY solutions but OTOH anybody can pull out a fuse and that is probably pretty effective.

I really don't worry too much about losing my Jeep at a trailhead. I would worry more about vandalism or theft of contents, but that's almost as bad for the hiker. Generally I'm pretty far out there and it would be rare for someone to drive way out there just to hunt for vehicles to rob, they can find more of them in their local town.

OP
OP

Andrewrdc

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon 3.6 Manual
maybe another option, iā€™m not sure? looks like it might work in theory? what do you guys think? this of course if you had a hood lock that wasnā€™t pickable but as i understand it, theyā€™re pretty easy to pick

Jeep Wrangler JL Security kill switch alternative 64F098A4-5BC9-4A03-8255-4EDA9987940D

Jeep Wrangler JL Security kill switch alternative 64F098A4-5BC9-4A03-8255-4EDA9987940D
Very interesting option... thank you. I think my original question to the group still applies though, which fuse (starter, fuel pump... etc) would have the least possible negative consequences or risk "bricking" my Jeep computer and leaving me stranded anyway.

I am leaning towards just pulling the starter fuse and locking the hood. Will this work as I believe and just disable the starter if a thief attempts to steal the jeep? Seeing as my Jeep is a manual, would this stop the Jeep from being "old school" push started? Dont know how many car thiefs these days even know what a manual transmission is, but thinking the fuel pump fuse may be better option from that perspective.

Thanks all for the input!

Andrew

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
Very interesting option... thank you. I think my original question to the group still applies though, which fuse (starter, fuel pump... etc) would have the least possible negative consequences or risk "bricking" my Jeep computer and leaving me stranded anyway.

I am leaning towards just pulling the starter fuse and locking the hood. Will this work as I believe and just disable the starter if a thief attempts to steal the jeep? Seeing as my Jeep is a manual, would this stop the Jeep from being "old school" push started? Dont know how many car thiefs these days even know what a manual transmission is, but thinking the fuel pump fuse may be better option from that perspective.

Thanks all for the input!

Andrew
if youā€™re going to pull something, why not pull a fuse or relay to the fuel pump? this would surely answer your question in the negative.
another thought - if they can pick the lock to the door, why couldnā€™t they pick the lock to the hood?
another thought - couldnā€™t they just pull the cord in the console to put it in neutral and wheel it away?
ugh. sorry for the depressing post!!
Sponsored