Sponsored

Second thoughts?

Aaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Corvette Stingray
I had been preparing for my first wrangler purchase for two years, and I have zero regrets about holding out for my JLU Rubicon. For a good long while I considered getting a JKU Sahara (for the nice interior), then spending a ton of money on a lift, new wheels and tires, bumpers, screen, backup cam, regearing, etc. Instead, I bought a JLU Rubicon that literally had everything I wanted on it from day one (except I added 35s). When I factored in aftermarket additions it wasn't that much more money, and there are so many other small improvements that come with it (e.g., telescoping steering wheel, easier to remove freedom panels) that it is well worth it.
Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Am I allowed to express buyers remorse before I even receive my Jeep? I'm sure I will be happy with it if it ever arrives, despite all of the quirks that will likely come with a first year model. But I sure am remorseful right now at having ordered one.
I am in a similar boat, Jan 11th order, but I am not in Marion, so I have hope. BUT, I wish I reordered in March or early April, that is my regret.

Grimm_E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
I love my Rubicon!
Jeep Pic.jpg

The dealer had this one in-bound from the factory with all of the features I wanted with none of the ones I didn't that came in at $49K (Tax and title included) so I put a hold on it and picked it up 2 weeks later. I am working on the 2nd month of ownership and I enjoy driving it.

My regret, if I could call it that, is I wish I could have waited a little longer, but I was concerned that rising interest rates would push me out of being able to get the features I wanted. One month from the time I locked in my loan rate, the interest rate had gone up 0.5%.

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Come on now, you know you'll need 40s to get over that rock. :)

4 weeks, zero regrets. Sport with Rubi suspension and visions of winches and such. :jk:
How’d you get the Rubi suspension?

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
How’d you get the Rubi suspension?
Bought it off of a site member. Install is this Thursday so I'll know if I made the right decision in a couple of days. (I was going to do the install myself but it would be in the driveway by myself so I bailed on that. I could do it, but....) Next will be tires, either 275/75/17 or 285/70/17 Rubi takeoffs. Decisions decisions. :jk:

We'll be doing off road but nothing too crazy. The best way to describe what we will do is that our idea of a great Jeep day is more Ophir pass than Poughkeepsie. (We will retire to western NC next year and are planning many more trips out west.)

Sponsored

JTopsUSA

First Name
Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jtopsusa.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU 2014, Jeep JK 2015, Jeep JLU on order!
Occupation
Jeep® Wranger Soft Goods Manufacturer
@cabnfvr , if you’re near Asheville, make sure you check out Hurricane Creek. It’s a pretty, fairly easy trail. :)

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Do any JK owners regret getting a JL?
Would you rather have a fully paid off JK with no payment or a JL with a payment? Is the ownership experience really that much better?

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
Would you rather have a fully paid off JK with no payment or a JL with a payment? Is the ownership experience really that much better?
My vote is no regrets whatsoever. The JL is far and above better than the JK. So much more refinement, technology, capability, comfort, etc. I was very hesitant to trade my ‘12 JKU with 103k miles because I loved that vehicle so much. But honestly I haven’t looked back. My JLUR is a beast and I look forward to driving it everyday. Also can’t tell you how many people have commented how nice it is both inside and out. The JK never got that kind of attention!!

Sponsored

AggieJeepGuy

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (replaced 2007 JKUR); 2016 Durango Brass Monkey edition; 2011 Expedition; 2002 Trans Am WS6 6spd
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think anyone loves a payment. Loved my JK ... it was light years better than the 97 2dr it replaced at the time. 07 was paid off for 5 years or so. But it also was in need of a lot of love ($) to get back into solid daily driver status. Yes, that still would have been less than a 50k JLUR but the difference in the 2 is almost not even a fair comparison. So sure, I miss no payment, but love my JLUR!

MerciiRubii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 OB Rubicon JL
On this topic if you have a company discount what price should be paying, I went to a dealer that said it’s the FFP but the another dealer told me it’s closer to EP pricing, does anyone know?

Grimm_E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
On this topic if you have a company discount what price should be paying, I went to a dealer that said it’s the FFP but the another dealer told me it’s closer to EP pricing, does anyone know?
Anywhere between $4000-$6000 less than MSRP. I checked the dealer incentives and the Pentagon Federal Credit Union Car Buying Service, and the Costco Car buying service, and the prices came out to that amount. I got closer to $6000 off by comparing car buying services. Almost all credit unions have car buying services and since I belong to Costco I put that into the mix. When I was finished I found that the Pentagon Federal Credit union had the best price, and the Navy Federal Credit Union had the best interest rate. Costco was $100 more than the the Pentagon Federal. Note I am a civilian that works for the military I am not a service member. Add $500 on top of that if you are/were a service member.

Got my financing before I went through the door. Said "no" to all the extra items (what I like to call unicorn polish), said no to all of the extended warranty because once you are beyond factory, it is usually the dealer service and their incentive is to get you to buy new so how well are they going to be taking care of your car. And drove off.

It was the least stressful purchasing experience I have ever gone through, and to top it all off I am a woman. This was my first time using car buying services, and it will not be my last. Having the money and the deal before you walk through the door makes all the difference.

I hope this helps.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I traded in my JK for my JL, and there is no way I would ever go back. The payments are ridiculous but if I just stop adding more things to the Jeep, it wouldn't feel so bad.

To be fair, my JK had become a terrifying death trap with unreliable brakes whereas the JL is brand new and perfect in every way.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I traded in my JK for my JL, and there is no way I would ever go back. The payments are ridiculous but if I just stop adding more things to the Jeep, it wouldn't feel so bad.

To be fair, my JK had become a terrifying death trap with unreliable brakes whereas the JL is brand new and perfect in every way.
It sounds like a lot of you were already at the end of the JKs life anyway.

The problem is my JK is a 2013 with just 40K miles. It doesn't feel like an old death trap at all. I would have totally been fine with it for another 5 years if it wasn't for the JL making a bunch of small improvements over the things I thought could be better than the JK.

I like the front end of the JL much better and my headlights only show about 6 feet in front of me so LEDs would be a huge improvement. I like the JL Rubicon's dashboard in the JL much better but I don't really hate the JK's. I could really use a backup camera and a little quieter ride wouldn't hurt (my MT tires are getting pretty rough). The rest of the JL pretty much looks like a JK though.

I'm afraid I'm going to buy a JL and after the novelty wears off, realize I just have a nicer JK with a payment.

I only have one payment left. I think I'm going to continue making that payment into my own savings account and use that as a down payment on a JL next summer if I don't find something else to spend the money on first. If I still have the JL bug after a year, then it's time to pull the trigger.
Sponsored