Sponsored

What other vehicles are you cross shopping? $5-6k increase causing second thoughts on JLU

Yo Sam

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Altitude
Ah man, Ram pricing was released. They're marked up 20% just like the Jeeps. FCA is no longer the bargain brand.
Both are selling like crazy right now. I think whatever discount being offered is already baked in to the price. Pay up or buy differently...LOL
Sponsored

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
Both are selling like crazy right now. I think whatever discount being offered is already baked in to the price. Pay up or buy differently...LOL
I paid 6% below invoice on a ordered 4 door Rubicon turbo

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I’m all over the place as my car is a weekend car and partial at that with us moving around kids in SUV.

JLUS sport is a very cheap lease and only a 3 year commit

Other things I’m looking at:
3 series
GTI
Accord
Used Lexus GX4x0

Last edited:

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S P85+ / Subaru Baja Turbo 5-Speed
I'm waiting on a plug in hybrid or EV truck now. Likely an F150 regular cab short bed but we'll see what's out there in a year or two.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
I'm waiting on a plug in hybrid or EV truck now. Likely an F150 regular cab short bed but we'll see what's out there in a year or two.
Both EV’s and Hybrids are more expensive than traditional vehicles, it’s only the Tax brakes that make them competitive. At some point these will disappear as EV’s and Hybrids become mainstream, which is fast approaching.

Sponsored

NOMAD-0311

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scat Pack Challenger
I sold my Jeep when we were stationed in PR since they said we couldn’t bring both cars without paying the taxes. Found out once we arrived that there wa say waiver for that. So, since it was so close to the JL release, I custom ordered a Skat Pack with Shaker Hood Challenger. It’s loaded, almost 500 hp, fast as hell, but every time I see a Jeep roll by I wish I was in one.

The only thing I would consider cross shopping for would be a Raptor, but my wife was missing her old one so we grabbed a new Ruby Red Raptor about a month ago. Fully loaded and it is amazing. But you think Jeep prices are bad, we were lucky that it was A slow Sat for them because we got it at MSRP, everywhere we looked at them they were going for $5k OVER MSRP (that’s in the states and here in PR).

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
I've been looking at an everyday driver for the past couple of months. The 2 door Rubi was on my short list until yesterday when I finally got to drive a 2 door. It was a base Sport with 8 speed and it drove great, we have the 8 speed in our Rebel and it is a great transmission and a reason to finally own a non manual Jeep. But the thing that has me reconsidering the 2 door is rear seat access. I'm not sure I could actually get in there especially if it was a bit higher such as the Rubicon.

I got to sit in a 4 door Rubicon and found it a bit hard to step into, I guess at 5' 7" I'm a bit vertically challenged.... also didn't help that I blew out my knee a couple of days ago. But the extra space and the back doors for easier passenger entry/exit have me thinking.

Anyhow back to the 2 door, I think if you are going to have rear seat passengers who are vertically challenged like me, or older (like me) they might have a hard time getting in. I've only ever owned a 2 door but this combination of issues has me now reconsidering a 4 door. I also don't like the ESS not only because I wonder how much wear and tear it will stand up to given how often it shuts down and immediately starts back up but also how expensive the parts will be once they fail. Yes I realize you can switch it off on the dash and personally I would try and reprogram the system so it stayed off permanently but that mechanism is still there as I don't see an ESS delete option. (hint hint). Granted unlikely given FCA is putting this on most of their new vehicles.

Up here the Ram 1500's are still being blown out so a fully loaded Rebel is going to come in almost $10,000 less then the JL 4 door Rubicon. Downside is it is a much bigger vehicle. I did look at the ZR2 Colorado which is a really nice size however price wise it is not being discounted and therefore not as good a deal as the Ram. Other thing is we don't need another pickup.

If I really go nuts the Winnebago Paseo RV might be a consideration as I'd like to do more travel photography and having a nice base camp might be interesting vs a tent or mini camper trailer on the back of the Jeep.

Last edited:

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
If i didnt have to deal with winter i would have bought another challenger over the JLU in a heartbeat.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
I spend most of my time off-road hunting or guiding. Nothing to cross shop it against.. 5% under invoice..pretty much loaded then lifted with 37’s, beadlocks and a 10k winch..good to go.
Sponsored