CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I am sorry to hear that Burt..

" Engine failure due to casting sand " uhm... I don't know.. with so many Pentastar engines produced over the years, I would think that if the casting was causing engine failures.. then.. well .. we would have seen a lot more failed engines... or at least this "casting" issue would be more in the news and also more of a prevalent discussion among Jeepers..

Could it be that your Jeep has an air filter with manufactured issues?. .. or perhaps not properly installed?.. could it be that sand got into the engine in some other way (broken air tubes? ... or something like that?)..
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Since in their commercials and the announcement video of the Rubicon 392 was two of them running sand dunes how can they claim that the air filter isn’t designed to filter sand??? Jeep cares as recommended, if no help as a last resort I bet a judge would ask Jeep the same question after seeing the promo of the two Rubi’s doing high speed sand running!!!

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
" Engine failure due to casting sand " uhm... I don't know.. with so many Pentastar engines produced over the years, I would think that if the casting was causing engine failures.. then.. well .. we would have seen a lot more failed engines... or at least this "casting" issue would be more in the news and also more of a prevalent discussion among Jeepers..
Haha hahahahhahahahahahaha Did you not own a Jeep before you bought a JL? There was a big scandal about this back in the JK days.

https://finkelsteinthompson.com/201...ehicles-allegedly-have-a-casting-sand-defect/

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/jeep-wrangler-casting-sand-lawsuit-engine-damage.shtml

For the most part it just caused leaking/broken radiators and heater cores, I think. In my JK the radiator failed, but was replaced under warranty - a pretty dang common issue with them. Not sure if it was sand related or not.

I think it's a wild claim for the dealer to make. If actual sand was found inside the motor, there had to be a leak in the intake or something - and THAT should definitely 100% be a warranty issue on a 2021 jeep. Like wtf? You wouldn't have even had time to discover that yet lol.

kieseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Overland
I am sorry to hear that Burt..

Could it be that your Jeep has an air filter with manufactured issues?. .. or perhaps not properly installed?.. could it be that sand got into the engine in some other way (broken air tubes? ... or something like that?)..
OP has 3.0 Diesel

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
A reasonable expectation is that the Jeep is suitable for driving In sand. Lawyer up or BBB arbitration.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Another great reason to avoid a CAI.

Come2elmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chev 2500 HD, 16 Chevy Burb
I would call some dealers around El Paso and see if they have encountered this problem before. Given the popularity of the dunes if this was a common problem they might have seen it before. The naturally aspirated 3.6 might not be prone to it but the volume of air the turbo engines pull Might be. Also you could do some research on the sand itself to see if the air filter is rated to deal with it or not. At the very least try and get a second opinion from a dealer in a sandy environment on how the repair was done, diagnosed and how Jeep handled the warranty.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
It can't filter out sand yet Jeep is supposed to be the best off road SUV on the market? BS on that. Sand gets through but my finely ground sand on the road never gets through my air filter? I mean after a winter of grinding sand on the road the stuff is as fine as it gets. Its like glass dust by April.
Details are missing from this story. Likely intentionally.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Did the dealer make the diagnosis knowing that you had recently driven on the dunes? Seems like the casting sand picked a very coincidental time to make its presence known.

In any case, that is some bad news. Sorry.

DogsRule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JL
When I bought my CPO JL 2 months ago, it was a 1 day turnaround from it's trade-in. No dealer prep. I mean the trail dust inside was like Tiramisu kinda choking when you get in. I should check my CPO-inspected engine air filter soon.

If your handy and have friends here, you could drop in a near-new replacement for under $5k. But dealer programming would be another $5k. I swear, if there were computers on Jeeps back in '45, we'd have lost the war.

DogsRule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JL
And I have to confess here. I am one of those who let Obama buy my old TownCar and pour volcanic sand down the oil filler while running until she died. That 4.6 was barely a decent engine but didn't deserve that. I hope sand wasn't your engine's demise. A bullet from your wife's handgun is better.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
It sounds like the dealer is trying to pull a fast one over on you. If you had damage from sand, it would take a while, and your engine would be puffing out smoke, lots of it, before it gave up. It sounds like you just had a stopped up air filter.
Make a surprise visit, get your Jeep out of there, before they pour sand in the cylinders. Tow it to a reputable shop, explain things to them, and have them scope the cylinders, before they try to turn it over.
I've owned diesel pickups for 22+ years, and never had sand get past a filter. I've had sand and fine dust plug up a filter, but it never made it past, and I have been through some pretty dusty area roads.
Sponsored