Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I find a good spotter is all i need on the trail... 🤔

78e0e778f782cb53faa5e6207fb3e03c.jpg
What is she...like 4 ft tall? Is that on purpose? Special trail skills for short girls?
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I ran it last July and think it's doable with 33ish inch tires, provided you have good armor underneath. Definitely would want engine, trans/t-case, and fuel skids. I would seriously consider front and rear diff skids also. I added front and rear weld-on control arm skids and was glad I did. The LCA mounts took some hits.

I didn't have an issue with my power steering overheating, but I was in a group of 120 Jeeps (Jeep Jamboree) so the pace was slow in some areas.

I don't run beadlocks and aired down my tires to 12 PSI without any issues. I had a CO2 tank to reseat beads just in case.

Besides armor, the most valuable item to have is a great spotter who has experience on the trail. They will know the correct line, which will keep your Jeep from getting into trouble.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking I want to run the Rubicon for a bucket list of sorts. I have a 2018 JLUR, stock suspension, Warn 10S, some recovery gear, SteerSmarts tierod draglink, front trackbar & Synergy rear trackbar, OEM cast iron steering box. But the thing I'm probably more concerned about is "under armor". I have Rock Hard step/rock rails. But underneath is stock. I think I'd like to protect some critical parts like the oil pan, auto trans pan, etc. I also don't want to put another 300-400 lbs on it.

Where to start and how far to go? For perspective, my goal is the trail, not the building of a Jeep.
Great video. Dixie on the Rubicon - YouTube

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Technically speaking, you can run the Rubicon in a stock Jeep...hence the 'Trail Rated' badge on it.

I was with a group that ran it a few years back, in the lead Jeep. I was hired to film the event for a well known Jeep builder. Most of the 16 Jeeps in our group were extremely well built. I think what you'll find is that you will be getting hung up a lot. For armor, I'd do the T-Case and gas tank. That mid Jeep area is where you will make the most contact as well as your sliders. Consider doing aluminum skids to keep the weight in check and not further lowering the Jeep via weight.

Airing down will be a must, the granite mixed with the fine silt on the trail makes the boulders slippery (no traction). Having an air compressor would be great. I suspect your winch will be getting a good work out at certain points along the trail. Be well versed on using it safely.

Amazing trail and experience! Don't attempt this trail solo.

Here's a link to the video that will highlight the trail/experience.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HJ5REOo6XbFuakJem6TTw

-Steven
Trail rates badge has nothing to do with the rubicon trail specifically. Seems like it would. But no.

Sponsored

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Trail rates badge has nothing to do with the rubicon trail specifically. Seems like it would. But no.
Seems like Jeep had a promo video with some Rubicon JLs running it a few years ago. Anyone remember?

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
I’m sure Jeep probably did show some rubicons on the rubicon. That’s all advertising. The Trail rating comes from the Nevada Automotive Test Center, they rate all kinds of vehicle and manufacturers.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

We'll be doing the Jeep Jamboree Rubicon Trail Expedition in September (assuming I get my Jeep in time...). This is the version that's limited to five Jeeps.

Their minimum requirements are 37" tires, front and rear lockers, as well as skid plates that cover the gas tank, transfer case, and rocker panels.

Reactions: J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
The 285/75R17 KO2 is E load range (ie 10 ply). Will ride harsh. Stock KO2s are C load range (6 ply).
Nah, it won’t. I’ve driven plenty of Wranglers on E-load tires, including my current JL on 35s; they ride perfectly fine.

As long as you stick to AT tires and keep them below 35 PSI, you’ll be just fine.
E rides harsh is a common myth. Air down, E tires have 3 plys on the sidewall and are plenty flexible. Your suspension absorbs most of the bumps.

After the 3rd rock flat on C's, my mechanic told me to get E's. Never had a rock flat after that.

Technically speaking, you can run the Rubicon in a stock Jeep...hence the 'Trail Rated' badge on it.
In the 2021 lineup, only the Wrangler, Compass, Cherokee, Renegade, and Grand Cherokee are trail rated. Jeep tests these vehicles at their Nevada Automotive Test Center. Only when the cars pass through extreme scrutiny and they are certified Trail rated.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
What size tire? 35" at a minimum.

Def get the metal cloak rear diff skid. Bring everything you need to repair a flat.

You won't need anything else. Just pick your lines carefully. The trail really isn't that difficult. It's a 6 or 7, 10 if wet.

You could add a power steering cooler. That trail likes to overheat the electric steering system in the JL. It's happened to me each time I've done it.
How would one know their JL power steering pump was overheating? Is there a temp sensor and the dash tells you or is it merely a by-feel thing?

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
How would one know their JL power steering pump was overheating? Is there a temp sensor and the dash tells you or is it merely a by-feel thing?
The Jeep will display steering too hot on the cluster and you can smell it.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We'll be doing the Jeep Jamboree Rubicon Trail Expedition in September (assuming I get my Jeep in time...). This is the version that's limited to five Jeeps.

Their minimum requirements are 37" tires, front and rear lockers, as well as skid plates that cover the gas tank, transfer case, and rocker panels.

2022 Rubicon Trail Special Requirements
All Jeep vehicles shall adhere to the following requirements for the Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree.

REGISTRATION FEES
Driver: $1895
First Passenger: $425
Each Additional Passenger: $425

CANCELLATION POLICY

DAYS PRIOR TO TRIP DATEPENALTY
Reservation to 45 days$350
44 days to 30 days50%
29 days to 15 days75%
14 days to trip date100% (NO REFUND)
Transfer Fee$25
NO TRANSFERS 14 days prior to trip date

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
  • Skid plates covering the gas tank, transfer case and rocker panels
I wonder why the don't require auto tranny skid? I've been really scrapping mine, but so far haven't punctured it.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
All Jeep vehicles shall adhere to the following requirements for the Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree.

REGISTRATION FEES
Driver: $1895
First Passenger: $425
Each Additional Passenger: $425

CANCELLATION POLICY

DAYS PRIOR TO TRIP DATEPENALTY
Reservation to 45 days$350
44 days to 30 days50%
29 days to 15 days75%
14 days to trip date100% (NO REFUND)
Transfer Fee$25
NO TRANSFERS 14 days prior to trip date
For $1895 they better provide 2 bikini beach babes, live music, a celebrity chef, an open bar and an escalator for your jeep to go up the trail.
Sponsored