Sponsored

Rubicon or willys ????

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
45 miles north west of sioux falls
Nice! I live in Sioux Falls. If you want to check out my rubicon sometime, let me know. While the rubicon is overkill to many, the front axle, lockers, and higher fenders individually make up most of the price difference of a Willy’s to Rubicon.

No matter what you get, we could get a meet up lined up in the hills to do some trials. Any Jeep can tackle a lot of the trails out there with a giant smile on your face.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Rubicon’s Rock-Trac is an absolute BEAST in deep snow. Anything 1-foot or deeper is best handled by Rubicon with Rock-Trac and lockers.

But for most common snow driving conditions, I find the Selec-Trac + a rear LSD works just beautifully.
Agree with the lockers for deep snow, but the Rock-Trac's 4:1 over the 2.72:1 is not that big of a deal with the 8 speed auto. It is a big deal for the manual and was a big deal for the JK & TJ.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Absolutely Rubicon. I went through the same predicament. I ordered my first Jeep and ended up going rubicon. It was a few thousand more but I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Also, maybe it’s my mid life crisis vehicle so I went all out.

OP
OP
Slaw32

Slaw32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 willy's sport
I have a Willys with almost all the options on order , supposed to arrive in April ish.... It's not too late for me to change order . My wife has been driving a 04 unlimited since we bought it new . Definitely looking forward to 18 years of engineering advancement . I like the looks of the Willys package , black and red , can't get much better than that . I am concerned about the tires that will come with the Willys . From now forward it's ice and snow season here . I would rather have a AT tire that has traction for the ice and snow . Don't think a mud tire is what I need . Hopefully I can work something out with the dealer when time comes . I don't want to spend anymore than I have to , but I will , if justified . Sounds like from most of the responses , thanks much for them , the Willys with different tires made for snow and ice would be the best all around fit . I do appreciate hearing from all on the forum helping me make an informed decision . This will more than likely be my last new vehicle and I need to make the right choice . Thinking I'm sticking with my order as is , except the tires . Looking forward to hearing from the fine folks here about my options .

Sponsored

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
I can only buy one . Looks like with same options about 6,000.00 difference . Not going to be doing much rock crawling .​
Is a Willys a better fit for normal every day driving ? With higher gear ratios I would think the Willys would be able to get better gas mileage . Will be daily driver for the wife .​
I'm leaning towards the Willys .​
Asking for input to help me make a decision between the two models .​
Thanks in advance .​
Like you, I wanted a Rubi, but equipped the way I wanted, it was $9K more than the 80th Edition I bought. Did Moab last month and the 80th with LSD, rock rails (similar to a Willys) and sway bar disconnects did VERY well. Gas mileage with the 2.0T runs 24-25mpg, so I'm a very happy camper.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Rubicon’s Rock-Trac is an absolute BEAST in deep snow. Anything 1-foot or deeper is best handled by Rubicon with Rock-Trac and lockers.

But for most common snow driving conditions, I find the Selec-Trac + a rear LSD works just beautifully.
Agreed. It's really about matching the Jeep to the typical conditions. A Rubicon in Snow Beast Mode isn't the best match for sub-beast conditions. Frankly, in 4" of on-road snow I'd rather be in my wife's AWD. Selec-Trac w/ rear LSD is a 2nd choice. Rubicon 3rd. But wandering around on steep NF switchback trails searching for a Christmas Tree in drifty untouched natural snow like I did the other day, it's Rubicon Snow Beast Mode or I'm not going there.

So don't automatically think Rubicon is the best solution for everything.

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2014 Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
I have a rubicon with 6 MT and it does pretty good in snow. I have had it for the last three years in Utah and I have to go to work in the am sometimes before the plows have had a chance to clear the roads. The Brake LSD (or whatever they call it) and 4 High has gotten me anywhere i needed to go. No issues. I also like the 4.10 gearing, certainly helps make it peppy.

I am not sure how much of a difference the higher gearing makes on the gas mileage. I end up averaging high teens, although i do most of my driving on the streets and only maybe 30% highway. A couple of MPG savings is good, but I am not sure how much it really saves you.

Good luck with your choice. I think you'll love either one!

Stetson

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Mechanically, Willys and Sahara are very similar. The main hardware difference is Sahara gets you bigger brakes and 18-inch wheels. Other than that, it’s mostly cosmetic: Sahara offers nicer interior and exterior bits, more colors inside and out, leather seats, etc.; Willys looks sportier.

If you are planning to get the LEDs, on Sahara all the lights match; on Willys you end up with a mixture of LEDs and halogens.

Sahara also includes large sides steps, as opposed to Willys’s rock rails.
I thought the Willys got the larger brakes also?

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I can only buy one . Looks like with same options about 6,000.00 difference . Not going to be doing much rock crawling .​
Is a Willys a better fit for normal every day driving ? With higher gear ratios I would think the Willys would be able to get better gas mileage . Will be daily driver for the wife .​
I'm leaning towards the Willys .​
Asking for input to help me make a decision between the two models .​
Thanks in advance .​
For the wife, not much rock crawling, why not look at the Sahara?
I've done some pretty difficult trails in my Sport. The level at which you need a Rubicon is pretty high. When I was shopping 18 months ago an equivalent Rubicon was about $10k higher.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Shame they don't offer the bigger brake package on the lesser models. Make is an option.

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
I don't regret buying my 2020 JL Rubicon but it is a bit of a rough ride for a daily driver. My wife hates it because of the ride. She's been trying to talk me into trading it in for a full size pickup or something but I am ignoring her, lol.

Thankfully, I don't have to commute anymore since Covid so I don't mind it. I don't really intend on doing a lot of heavy rock crawling either but have wheeled it some and plan to do so more often now that things have picked up with the Jeep/4x4 clubs in my area since Covid.
Sponsored