2 door Rubicon or 4 Door Willys ER?

Extreme Recon Willys or 2 door Rubicon?

• Total voters

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
So I'm really torn what direction I want to go. One thing I do know is I need to stay within my budget which leaves me with 2 choices that I like for different reasons.

The 2 door Rubicon and the 4 door Willys Sport Extreme Recon. Both have advantages for different reasons. Obviously the Rubicon has the lockers and ease of just dealing with taking 2 doors off vs 4 and I feel like the top will flip down easier and fast with its smaller size. Plus I feel like it would be fun with the 6 speed manual and it's short size and maneuverability. Kind of like an off road sports car.

Then there's the 4 door Willys Extreme Recon package. I love the way the 4 door looks with the ER with the 35s. I think it comes with heavier duty axles then the stock Rubicon? I have 2 kids and 2 dogs so the extra room of the 4 door will be great especially when going on a trip either camping or to Ocean City area. Which is the better Jeep?

Then there's a 3rd option I'm considering. Which is gut it out 1 more year and wait for the 2023s. Especially with all the new model talk and new engine verification by Stellantis. A turbo inline 6 with more power sounds pretty good. And an all electric is intriguing. Who knows. But I do have a feeling that new things are definitely coming for 2023.
'23 announcement will be out in the next 3 months I'd imagine (April?) -- I'd at least wait until then and decide. That said, doesn't seem like a 2 door is realistic for you.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
2 kids + 2 dogs + trips/camping = 4 door

I don't see any way around this without serious compromises in comfort. Save the 2-dr for your mid life crises like what I'm about to do!
What do you consider mid life? I'm already going on 42!!🤣

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'23 announcement will be out in the next 3 months I'd imagine (April?) -- I'd at least wait until then and decide. That said, doesn't seem like a 2 door is realistic for you.
Well I just might do that. I called some dealers today and the consensus was ill be lucky to see it within 6 months if I order right now. There goes the Summer. My own fault. I waited too long. Should have made up my mind in December. At this point let's see the 2023s.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Well I just might do that. I called some dealers today and the consensus was ill be lucky to see it within 6 months if I order right now. There goes the Summer. My own fault. I waited too long. Should have made up my mind in December. At this point let's see the 2023s.
Gonna miss out on your chance for that sweet yellow…

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Find one in stock and buy it now. I see markups over sticker vanishing along with low gas prices . Right now the future is unknown. Just find a JLU Sport and enjoy life a little. Your kids will love it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Find one in stock to buy now. I see markups over sticker vanishing along with low gas prices . Right now the future is unknown. Just find a JLU Sport and enjoy life a little. Your kids will love it.
But some dealers are doing 4% to 6% under invoice to order. Not the same deal for Jeeps on the lot. That's the problem.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
But some dealers are doing 4% to 6% under invoice to order. Not the same deal for Jeeps on the lot. That's the problem.
Just order. Time goes by fast. Might not be 6 months. If u get it after summer go on a road trip somewhere warm and enjoy it.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If you want to order, do it right now. No time like the present. Keep it reasonably simple and it will hopefully get built quicker.

But spending about 2k more will keep your summer from being ruined. You may be able to drive a bargain if gas is $4 or better where you live.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
You might also check with dealers to see if they have canceled orders coming in. Many people lost a lot of money this past week. A new vehicle might not be a good idea for those who rely on investment income.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
You might also check with dealers to see if they have canceled orders coming in. Many people lost a lot of money this past week. A new vehicle might not be a good idea for those who rely on investment income.
I've been keeping my eye out. Just checked today. Most of the Jeeps are not what I'm looking for. The closest one was a 2 door Rubicon but with all kind of extras and hard top. Way outside my budget by $6k.

Sponsored

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Calling it now, no Jeep in your possession in 2022 :LOL: Just get a 4 door, and it doesn't need to be fancy. You and we all know it'll meet your *actual* needs and you can start having fun. As someone who went from no Jeep to Jeep, Jeep is better.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
How long have you been hemming and hawing over this. Buy one and build it the way you want. Yeah, there could be a new color next month or year, or a new radio, or whatever. The future is not here yet. As my Grandpa used to say “Shit or get off the pot!”

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
How long have you been hemming and hawing over this. Buy one and build it the way you want. Yeah, there could be a new color next month or year, or a new radio, or whatever. The future is not here yet. As my Grandpa used to say “Shit or get off the pot!”
Totally get it. But if I can't get one built by the Summer. I mise well wait for a 2023. Still going to try. Also going to try find one for sale on a lot and try get a deal. If I can't then I'll have to wait no matter what.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Good luck man. Just jump in, the water is fine. All Wranglers a good in my opinion. From overbuilt trailer queens to base Sports with steel wheels that never have a top on. The later is more fun in my opinion.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Totally get it. But if I can't get one built by the Summer. I mise well wait for a 2023. Still going to try. Also going to try find one for sale on a lot and try get a deal. If I can't then I'll have to wait no matter what.
Even the discount dealers are going to no deposit now. They just need inventory so they don’t care if you walk.

Pull the trigger, you’ve got analysis paralysis, brother.
Sponsored