Rubicon or willys ????

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I didn't know that the rubicon doesn't have a LSD in the rear end . That is a deal breaker for winter driving , I live in south dakota ....
Now wondering if I should be comparing a sahara to a Willys.
No limited slip, but you can engage the rear locker in 4hi with the flick of a switch.

Like I said, i might have went willys extreme recon instead of rubicon if it were me. But that wasnt your original question. Now that you have opened it up to more models, I would think about 4xe.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
No limited slip, but you can engage the rear locker in 4hi with the flick of a switch.
And has BLD like everything else. The 4Auto case is also an option with either.

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
I just bought a 2020 Willy's. Been modding since I got it home. IMHO, the ABSOLUTE best mod was to get rid of the Firestone M/Ts. They were replaced with Toyo Open Country A/T (285/75 17 - essentially 34s). The Jeep rides better, handles, better and is MUCH quieter. Also, the headliner ( hotheads ) further reduced the interior noise.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
All wranglers tend to be more capable off road that folks expect. They'd all do "Fins 'n Things" in Moab with a minimum of drama, and that tends to be the most "hardcore off-roading" that most folks tend to want to do.

So yeah, Sahara is a great place to start with a Wrangler that'll be doing a lot of duty on pavement.

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
If your wife is going to be driving in snow, she is going to find Willys’s rear LSD a LOT more useful than Rubicon’s lockers.

Even more, I’d order the Willys with shift-it-and-forget-in Selec-Trac full-time 4WD.

Unlike lockers, LSD works 24/7 and engages automatically, instantly and seamlessly at any speed; it works in 2WD, in 4H, in 4L and in 4Auto.
Is the Roc-Trac on a Rubicon similar to the Selec Trac?

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't know that the rubicon doesn't have a LSD in the rear end . That is a deal breaker for winter driving , I live in south dakota ....
Mechanically, Willys and Sahara are very similar. The main hardware difference is Sahara gets you bigger brakes and 18-inch wheels. Other than that, it’s mostly cosmetic: Sahara offers nicer interior and exterior bits, more colors inside and out, leather seats, etc.; Willys looks sportier.

If you are planning to get the LEDs, on Sahara all the lights match; on Willys you end up with a mixture of LEDs and halogens.

Sahara also includes large sides steps, as opposed to Willys’s rock rails.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Is the Roc-Trac on a Rubicon similar to the Selec Trac?
Yes and No. Rubicon’s optional full-time transfer case has an Auto mode which is similar to Selec-Trac, but it retains unique 4:1 transfer case. On Rubicon the transfer case is paired to a lockable —but open— rear diff; on Willys/Sahara, Selec-Trac uses the regular 2.72:1 transfer case, paired to a rear LSD.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought a 2020 Willy's. Been modding since I got it home. IMHO, the ABSOLUTE best mod was to get rid of the Firestone M/Ts. They were replaced with Toyo Open Country A/T (285/75 17 - essentially 34s). The Jeep rides better, handles, better and is MUCH quieter. Also, the headliner ( hotheads ) further reduced the interior noise.
Yeah, MT tires look great but they can be a handful on-road.

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
Yes and No. Rubicon’s optional full-time transfer case has an Auto mode which is similar to Selec-Trac, but it retains unique 4:1 transfer case. On Rubicon the transfer case is paired to a lockable —but open— rear diff; on Willys/Sahara, Selec-Trac uses the regular 2.72:1 transfer case, paired to a rear LSD.
So the rock-trac wouldn't be as useful on snowy roads as the selec-trac?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Full disclosure: I own a Sahara at the moment.

Of nine Wranglers I’ve owned over the years, four were Rubicons and five Saharas.

Rubicons can be a lot of fun, but I find Sahara better rounded overall: it does everything I need from it a little more easily. Especially drive in snow.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon or willys ???? 2349C0D0-065F-4A93-9AB4-04DEC2DA37A5

Sponsored

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021

Like I said, i might have went willys extreme recon instead of rubicon if it were me. But that wasnt your original question. Now that you have opened it up to more models, I would think about 4xe.
When will the 2022 Willys with XR be open for order? No 2022 on the website yet.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So the rock-trac wouldn't be as useful on snowy roads as the selec-trac?
Rubicon’s Rock-Trac is an absolute BEAST in deep snow. Anything 1-foot or deeper is best handled by Rubicon with Rock-Trac and lockers.

But for most common snow driving conditions, I find the Selec-Trac + a rear LSD works just beautifully.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
I have a 21 Willy's JLU and it is my daily driver. I love it and don't mind the Radial T/A M/T tires. They are a bit noisy but I don't mind. Handling is fine I just drove from FL to NC and it handled and rode great.
However if it is for your wife she may not like it. I went for as much off road capability as I could afford. There are 2 Willy's you can get. The Willy's sport ( base jeep inside) and then the upper package which has more options. I am still in NC right now and have been off road every day this week including Windrock on Tuesday. I am glad I have the Willy's over something like the stock Sahara. Oh, the Willy's sport is a lot less than the Rubicon it's the upper trim Willy's that comes in just under the Rubicon. I love the Rubicon, I just couldn't swing it in my budget, plus I know down the road my Willys will do everything I need it to. Plus I wanted the Willy's to pay tribute to the original. Outfit them both on the jeep website and see what she likes best.

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Well hello fellow SD’er! Where in the state are you?