Sponsored

2022 Willys XR or Rubicon 2.0?

15 Pieces of Rick Flair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla 3
Getting ready to order a 2022 Wrangler. We were set on a Rubicon 2.0 as the XR plus V6 put us over budget. Now its possible to order a Willys with the XR and the price difference pays for the engine upgrade.

I’m a Jeep newbie so I’m looking for opinions on the pros and cons of each. I’m not a rock crawler, looking to get back into off-roading. My dad had a 1969 Bronco that I grew up in but I’ve never owned a 4x4. The Rubicon is plenty capable for what I’d throw at it in the foreseeable future. A stock Willys probably is too, actually. :LOL:
Sponsored

Deleted member 73239

For me it really depends how you will use the Jeep. For a lot of off roading it’s hard to deny the 4.10 gears, beefy transfer case, lockers and sway-bar disconnects of the Ruby. If it’s just the occasional dirt road and mainly a black-top commuter then it really doesn’t matter.

rmenley

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I posted a similar thread. I’m trying to decide between the Willys XR and the Rubi 2.0 since the price is literally identical for the options I have spec’d. I don’t do heavy crawling (my last rubicon - a gladiator - never saw off road, and I used to bang the hell out of my jeeps when I was younger).

Even though I kind of had my heart set on the 4-banger - I’m leaning toward the 3.6 Willy’s. The 44 axles with a LSD in the rear is all I’ll need and in my mind 4.56 gears from the factory is the deciding edge.
With either Jeep - I’d immediately go 37s - and the 35 inch wheel and tire pkg could EASILY be sold for 2k-2500 in this climate which would get me 37s and more custom wheels at almost a wash. And with the minor suspension boost of the XR, 37s would clear easily with the fender chop. And when I do decide to go “real” lift, the XR suspension is an easy sell.

In my mind- losing the lockers and t-case is worth the trade for the 4.56 gears, suspension, wheels and tires , and a little stronger front axle than a rubi. (Cast iron knuckles, thicker tube). The v6 is a great motor. While I’d rather have the 2.0, I just think the XR package is too good to pass up for the value and the potential resale value, which gets me to the end of my build cheaper and easier.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
Now its possible to order a Willys with the XR and the price difference pays for the engine upgrade.
I've owned a JL with both the 2.0 engine and the 3.6 engine. I would say that the 2.0 is the "engine upgrade", and not the 3.6. The 2.0 feels peppier and pulls grades at a lower RPM than the 3.6 did. So get the Rubicon with the 2.0, it will be a more fun Jeep to drive, and also be more capable off road. Just my $0.02.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

If budget is tight, that Willys sure look good and has all the stuff needed for some good off roading. I love my Rubicon with all the little extras and such but for the cost if there was a Willys Sarge Green manual when I stopped by the lot I would have went that route. The cost savings would have been significant, I am not a huge off roader. Mostly mild trails.

It has the 3.6 which I loved in my JK and didn't want 2.0 engine with turbo. Which not an issue since I wanted manual anyway.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Do we finally know what axle Jeep put on the front of the Willys?

Oh and regarding OPs question. Get the Rubicon. you can always get bigger tires later. Lockers is not the same story. I mean you can, but it voids warranty and you'll be locking a d30?

But idk. if the willys comes with d44 front and rear then it isnt a bad deal. youre looking at about 3k parts and labor for selectable lockers if you ever need them in the future.

rmenley

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do we finally know what axle Jeep put on the front of the Willys?

Oh and regarding OPs question. Get the Rubicon. you can always get bigger tires later. Lockers is not the same story. I mean you can, but it voids warranty and you'll be locking a d30?

But idk. if the willys comes with d44 front and rear then it isnt a bad deal. youre looking at about 3k parts and labor for selectable lockers if you ever need them in the future.
The Willy's XR comes with the wide track 44's front and rear. The front is essentially the Mojave axle with the thicker tube and the cast iron knuckles. It's also about $2,500 to regear, which also voids your warranty - so the fact the XR comes with those particular axles and the 4.56 gears is very intriguing. I've attached the recon sheet for the Willy's ('JLJL74" ). The other two are for the Rubicon and the 392.

Recon.PNG

OP
OP
15 Pieces of Rick Flair

15 Pieces of Rick Flair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla 3
Lots of good points. Appreciate the feedback.

I asked for a quote for a Willys XR with the same options as my original Rubicon build just to make a strait money comparison.

The one thing a Willys had over the Rubicon for me is the tan cloth interior option. Would look great with tan top and any number of discontinued Jeep colors…

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Id personally get the willys XR then. If I had a 4 door getting it on 35s would be my first mod.

So the willys comes with a rear LSD?

It is a better deal overall than the rubicon honestly. And getting lockers of your choice is not more expensive than lift + tires.

OP
OP
15 Pieces of Rick Flair

15 Pieces of Rick Flair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla 3
Rear LSD, LEDS, and rock sliders. I was contemplating a Willys before the XR came out but finally decided on the Rubicon

I wish the lower grill surround was body colored on the Willys. Really stumped why it isn’t but the Mopar black grill it is.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Rear LSD, LEDS, and rock sliders. I was contemplating a Willys before the XR came out but finally decided on the Rubicon

I wish the lower grill surround was body colored on the Willys. Really stumped why it isn’t but the Mopar black grill it is.
Because the Mopar black grill looks better..lol…I bet you could easily find someone to do an even swap with you after though!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

You cant go wrong either way. It is really nice to have the choice.

rmenley

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Complete agree on the choice of the black grill surrounds. Odd choice by Jeep. But on the other hand, it's such a simple cosmetic fix, that its well worth the trade-off haha.

I think the other thing - the Willy's XR also comes with the Rubicon high line fenders and that minor lift. So those 35's for me are immediately going to transform into 37's and the cost difference will be minimal after I sell the XR wheels and tires.
Sponsored