Rock Slide Engineering slider steps

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Unfortunately the shop that was going to installed my RockSlide steps, stopped because the body mount bolts were not coming out. They broke a couple on previous installs and told me if they seem like they need too much force to remove they abort to prevent breaking the bolts. So I’m glad they let me know up front and used abundance of caution. Now I need an option 2.
Sponsored

apettit7

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Occupation
IT
I have them wired to Aux 3.
I cannot use the driver side firewall access port because I have a 6 speed manual transmission and that's where the cylinder is mounted. The passenger side firewall port seems more difficult to access so I might wire mine to Aux 3. Does anybody here have any tips/advice/how-to on wiring through the passenger side firewall or using Aux 3?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I cannot use the driver side firewall access port because I have a 6 speed manual transmission and that's where the cylinder is mounted. The passenger side firewall port seems more difficult to access so I might wire mine to Aux 3. Does anybody here have any tips/advice/how-to on wiring through the passenger side firewall or using Aux 3?
When my steps were installed the shop had to call rock slide because I have a manual also. They were kinda pissed that the instructions didn’t include option for running the wiring for a manual.
I honestly can’t say how they figured it out but they got it done.
I can try to snap photos of my wiring if that will help.

apettit7

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Occupation
IT
When my steps were installed the shop had to call rock slide because I have a manual also. They were kinda pissed that the instructions didn’t include option for running the wiring for a manual.
I honestly can’t say how they figured it out but they got it done.
I can try to snap photos of my wiring if that will help.
Thank you yes when you have time please can send some photos of your wiring. I will also get a hold of RSE.

The4x4Guys

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Without a doubt, my Rock Slide steps are my favorite upgrade to my 2018 JLUR and the most commented on upgrade from strangers in parking lots, gas stations, Starbucks, etc.

Sponsored

TravelingMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited Mojito!
I was looking at a 2018 JLUR recently with Rock Slide steps. Noticed they had a lot of forward/backward swing when extended.

What would cause,this and can it be adjusted to fix?

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking at a 2018 JLUR recently with Rock Slide steps. Noticed they had a lot of forward/backward swing when extended.

What would cause,this and can it be adjusted to fix?
They probably need to be lubed as that is the most common problem.

TravelingMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited Mojito!
They probably need to be lubed as that is the most common problem.
Maybe so... it seemed like both sides would move 2-3 inches when my foot was on them.

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe so... it seemed like both sides would move 2-3 inches when my foot was on them.
Yep, that is it. I have to lube about every 2 months but I have water and sand every where...... LOL

Krawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
That's perfect. Thank you. That will help me get in for sure.
I may get bigger tires. I'm still on the fence. This jeep is costing me $$$ already :)
Is there a rubber gasket between your steps and the body of the Jeep? I just had a set installed and there is a huge gap between the slider steps and the Jeep.

Sponsored

The4x4Guys

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a rubber gasket between your steps and the body of the Jeep? I just had a set installed and there is a huge gap between the slider steps and the Jeep.
I installed mine myself and I can tell you that the first thing you do is install an aluminum strip that is adhesive on one side and has a rubber bumper on the outside. The step then mounts directly to the pinch seam below the rocker and the step touches the rubber bumper. It’s about 1/4 to 1/2 thick.

The aluminum strip mounts to the lower side of the vehicle.

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
I installed mine myself and I can tell you that the first thing you do is install an aluminum strip that is adhesive on one side and has a rubber bumper on the outside. The step then mounts directly to the pinch seam below the rocker and the step touches the rubber bumper. It’s about 1/4 to 1/2 thick.

The aluminum strip mounts to the lower side of the vehicle.
I had the originals and they were very loud when they opened and closed. You could physically feel them close, and open. Also Both The motors failed before a year was up.

I did like the looks and functions when it worked. I’m curious if they improved both of those issues. Their customer service was quick at first then non responsive after they replaced the module and both motors.

Even with knowing that I still loved them. Easy for kids and short wife to get in and out without sacrificing looks or functionality. I’d like to know more as time goes on. I’d almost consider them again if past bugs and the loud closing has been fixed.

The4x4Guys

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had the originals and they were very loud when they opened and closed. You could physically feel them close, and open. Also Both The motors failed before a year was up.

I did like the looks and functions when it worked. I’m curious if they improved both of those issues. Their customer service was quick at first then non responsive after they replaced the module and both motors.

Even with knowing that I still loved them. Easy for kids and short wife to get in and out without sacrificing looks or functionality. I’d like to know more as time goes on. I’d almost consider them again if past bugs and the loud closing has been fixed.
When you say you had the "originals" on what vehicle and when? As I understand it (we sell them in our store) this is a Generation 2 system for the JL. They sold the intellectual property and designs to the Gen 1 step to a competitor when they developed this version.

These things sell like hot cakes and I love mine.

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
When you say you had the "originals" on what vehicle and when? As I understand it (we sell them in our store) this is a Generation 2 system for the JL. They sold the intellectual property and designs to the Gen 1 step to a competitor when they developed this version.

These things sell like hot cakes and I love mine.
2017 on my lifted 2012 JKU. I think maybe first generation, it used nutserts into the body. My thing is they were so dang loud when closing. Was this corrected on the version you sell? I’ll try to find my old paperwork see what it says.

Even with all it’s faults I liked mine as well.

The4x4Guys

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I can't say for sure, but the first time I saw the Gen 2 steps was in mid-2018, but I can inquire. There is no doubt about when they open and close, it is a solid thump but I'd hardly call it loud or annoying.

If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll ask whatever questions you want of the folks at Rock Slide, I have a contact or two there.
Sponsored