Rock Slide Engineering slider steps

JSG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler
When my steps were installed the shop had to call rock slide because I have a manual also. They were kinda pissed that the instructions didn’t include option for running the wiring for a manual.
I honestly can’t say how they figured it out but they got it done.
I can try to snap photos of my wiring if that will help.
I have a two door manual. I used the grommet that’s on the passenger side and passed through the wire there. Then i installed the harness in reverse. Drive is passenger and passenger is driver (Works perfectly by the way) then i extended the switch wire to the driver side and it works perfectly. I did the wiring first, took me a couple hours. Then the actual install of the steps, maybe an hour and a half. The hard part is routing the power wire through the grommet on the passenger side. You can alway use the grommet that underneath the passenger side where you see the plug at. Another spot. Ive use the grommet for my Under the seat air compressor and the mopar aux.
Sponsored

JSG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler
How much of a gap do you guys have between the steps and the rock panel? I have enough to see light through.

67F4B77B-0C7A-4532-AE97-E5D54B2F433F.jpeg

31D354A0-01AE-48FE-B191-CD11A32112B2.jpeg

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
I can't say for sure, but the first time I saw the Gen 2 steps was in mid-2018, but I can inquire. There is no doubt about when they open and close, it is a solid thump but I'd hardly call it loud or annoying.

If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll ask whatever questions you want of the folks at Rock Slide, I have a contact or two there.
If anything the solid "thunk" you hear when they close is reassuring and a positive confirmation you have closure. Honestly, without that signal, there is no other wat to tell if they've retracted. You can't see them in the side view mirrors and you'd have to stick your head far out of an other window if you're otherwise worried about it.

Cali-JeepJL

First Name
Rowan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
I have (Had) the rockslide engineering stepsliders installed on my JLUR- worked ok until I did the rubicon trail. Bashed them somewhat but not too hard. Both of them unusable afterward. Have used them on multiple trails before the rubicon - but that really did them in

JSG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler
I have (Had) the rockslide engineering stepsliders installed on my JLUR- worked ok until I did the rubicon trail. Bashed them somewhat but not too hard. Both of them unusable afterward. Have used them on multiple trails before the rubicon - but that really did them in
Was this with the extra slider cover?

Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was this with the extra slider cover?
Exactly what I was wondering as well. These babies are tough and can stand some mild stuff, but at the end of the day they're not going to hold up as well las a dedicated purpose built slider. For those that intent to abuse them a bit more there is an additional slider cover, kinda like a second skin that should be installed. I believe those cost an extra $400 or something, but it is probably worth it if your intent is more difficult rock crawling.

Cali-JeepJL

First Name
Rowan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Wish I knew about the covers. I had never heard of them and can’t find them on the website. I always had small problems with the sliders not smoothly opening - RSE replaced one for free (excellent customer service TY). Also had a problem where the magnet sensors would sometimes get out of alignment / several times this caused my battery to drain after a couple weeks of not driving as the slider was opening and closing.

Cali-JeepJL

First Name
Rowan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Wish I knew about the covers. I had never heard of them and can’t find them on the website. I always had small problems with the sliders not smoothly opening - RSE replaced one for free (excellent customer service TY). Also had a problem where the magnet sensors would sometimes get out of alignment / several times this caused my battery to drain after a couple weeks of not driving as the slider was opening and closing.
anyway I’d say I loved these sliders for a street rig / light crawling.I’ve turned my JL into a mostly dedicated trail rig now so Am switching to the metal cloak sliders

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
anyway I’d say I loved these sliders for a street rig / light crawling.I’ve turned my JL into a mostly dedicated trail rig now so Am switching to the metal cloak sliders
The additional available protection is basically a 3/16 inch sheet metal cover layer found here: https://rockslideengineering.com/product/step-slider-skid-plate-5/.

Looks to cost $499, so an already pricy item slider becomes even more pricey if you need the additional toughness. Still, its the only thing quite like it on the market.

That said, enjoy the Metalcloak sliders. Should be perfect for a dedicated rock rig. I love their stuff and they're relatively local to us NorCal guys.

Last edited:

AlrightAlready

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR. Couple Ducs
Yeah, I more or less big Oof'd my passenger side recently. Wasn't a crazy hit but it was the perfect combo of angle, weight, in the wrong spot. I am eyeing the covers and will probably purchase if they replace my current passenger step sliders. If they don't, well, I'll probably get the covers anyways to hide what I did recently. I just wonder what can it really take if the step itself takes another direct hit which is what happened to me. Don't know if welding a plate on the inside around the perimeter of the opening would do it but we'll see. Gotta say, their customer service is the best out of any I've dealt with recently.

Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I more or less big Oof'd my passenger side recently. Wasn't a crazy hit but it was the perfect combo of angle, weight, in the wrong spot. I am eyeing the covers and will probably purchase if they replace my current passenger step sliders. If they don't, well, I'll probably get the covers anyways to hide what I did recently. I just wonder what can it really take if the step itself takes another direct hit which is what happened to me. Don't know if welding a plate on the inside around the perimeter of the opening would do it but we'll see. Gotta say, their customer service is the best out of any I've dealt with recently.
Would love to see a pic of the damage. Yeah, their customer service has been great for me thus far.

AlrightAlready

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR. Couple Ducs
I will post up a few pictures in the next day or so. I am being sent a refurbished set for a very very reasonably price so I cannot complain considering I destroyed a set lol. Contemplating the Side armor but I have not pulled the trigger on them just yet.
Sponsored