Rock Slide Engineering slider steps

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
I see what you are saying now, in case it helps you to picture them on your vehicle, here is a link to a short video of them in action, between my 37" tires. I know others have removed the rear inner fender and trimmed about three inches of the pinch seem on both sides of the rear tires to allow for more room.
Thank you.
Sponsored

The4x4Guys

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have them on our company Jeep with a 2" Mopar lift and 37" BFG KO2's and there is no need for any trimming. We've sold several sets now, and I think everyone is very happy with the product. I personally had a set of AMP steps on my 2015 JKUR and these are by far better. Better in appearance, better in installation, better in operation, etc.

If anyone has any specific questions about the steps or the install, send me a PM. Also all of our products ship free!

Bob

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I can’t get a decent price to install these. Quoted $900 today for an install. That’s crazy. They already shipped or else I’d cancel.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did the install. Took me a while. Probably 5-6 hours. But I was cautious about the body bolts thing (diligently used a heat gun) and wanted to have a very clean install. I also installed LED strips I found on Amazon that are a "warm" white color (just my preference) and that took a bit longer. That said they were much cheaper than Rock Slide light option and work the same. Quality of step is very high. I hope these last years and years. Very happy with the install. And am very appreciative they included that "button" mount that allows you to place the button next to the OBD port. I would have not enjoyed drilling into the plastics to place that guy. Also, they play nice with the splash guards in case anyone is curious.

Jeep 1.jpg

Jeep 2.jpg

Jeep 3.jpg

Jeep 4.jpg

Jeep 5-1.jpg
Are you running bigger tires or stock? Wondering how high it is from the ground on stock. Probably 8 inches?

Sponsored

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
Are you running bigger tires or stock? Wondering how high it is from the ground on stock. Probably 8 inches?
I have 34x10.5 KO2’s (not stock). Here are some visuals. Compared to stock this is probably 3/4” taller.

D770D32B-B2C4-4EFE-BFFD-128C9B67BAF0.jpeg

80DDB196-5B5B-4455-8E77-35FD3036A249.jpeg

501BFE23-B12C-4D38-AE0C-2093E06F596D.jpeg

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have 34x10.5 KO2’s (not stock). Here are some visuals. Compared to stock this is probably 3/4” taller.

D770D32B-B2C4-4EFE-BFFD-128C9B67BAF0.jpeg

80DDB196-5B5B-4455-8E77-35FD3036A249.jpeg

501BFE23-B12C-4D38-AE0C-2093E06F596D.jpeg
That's perfect. Thank you. That will help me get in for sure.
I may get bigger tires. I'm still on the fence. This jeep is costing me $$$ already :)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Anybody tried wiring these steps up to one of the four Aux switches that comes with the JL tow package?

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I did not. The bracket and switch that Rock Slide provides get attached to the OBD port on the drivers, side with one screw and it happens to be right in line with the plug in the firewall for the wiring to go to the battery direct. I chose not to use an Aux switch for a switch that will only occasionally be used. I currently use the 4 Aux for rear LED lights, CB, Winch, and Front LED lights

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
I am not mechanically inclined whatsoever and I did it. It took me about 6 hours. For a mechanic this would be like 4 hours. $900 is INSANE.
That is part of what I am trying to wrap up my head around. My go to shop quoted $800 for the install. The steps themselves sound like a 4-6h effort (and I am NOT mechanically inclined, but I can RTFM). The additional step is to do the wiring. How long are y'all taking to do that?

Sponsored

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It took me about an hour and a half maybe two, to mount the steps on the Jeep. I had one sticky body bolt, but I did get it loose. Both pinch seam holes (one on each side) were slightly misaligned, so I had to drill them out, which took two seconds.

The toughest part was one body bolt on each side. It has a captive washer and the bracket needs to go between the captive washer and the bolt head. I had to remove them and use a file to work the top threads down a bit on the bolt so that the washer would leave enough room for the bracket. But other than those inconveniences, it was pretty straight forward.

My son (an adult) was present to help me lift the step on each side and hold it in place until I could spin on a bolt or two to hold it in place.

I will go find my forum notes on the electrical install, which I did the next day and it too took about 2 hours or so (memory fades) but it was very easy and straight forward. The early part of this thread talks about some of the installation tricks.

If you decide to do it yourself, you will need a few tools, like an impact wrench (for the body bolts) or a substantial pipe to put over your socket wrench to give you some leverage on breaking them loose. A Torque wrench to tighten the body bolts back too spec, some basic hand tools, and some patience. One a scale of one to ten, based on all my Jeep tasks to date, I would give this a six to seven for complexity (mostly around the body bolts) and a three to a four on the electrical.

Last edited:

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for that. By the time I order these, I'll be in a house where I can take my time. I'm in an apartment now without access to a space where I could work unhindered.

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Rock Slide Engineering(with TeraFlex) was at the Coal Mountain PA Jeep Jamboree last week end. Seeing them action made me order them. I’m also putting on 35” tires and a 1.5” TF spacers. My girl friend had trouble getting in and out of my stock JLU Rubicon. So I’ll do the tires, lift and RS all at the same time.

WranglerAz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2019 JLR, 2000 TJ
Here is a recent Summit Jeep Company look at Rock Slide Engineering slider steps on an Ocean Blue JLUR.

Sponsored