Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
My 392 battery drains very fast compared to my gladiator. Both have the steps but the 392 has the G3 where the Gladiator has the G2. That said I did leave it parked for 21 days but my gladiator has gone that long before and still started. The 392 was down to 5.7V.

I tried to test for parasitic draw but it didn’t seem to be drawing anything out of the ordinary. But maybe I didn’t leave my multimeter bridged in for long enough.
Thanks for that. I don't want to say its all step draw yet but haven't really added anything electrical other than rear lights and a phone cable (has powered light on it) that seems to go to sleep normally with the rest of the Jeep interior/sensors. The 392 does draw down pretty quickly as-is though (cold here too). I have the MBQuart full system I'll install soon so I'm sure that will add to the draw-down factor. Don't really know what to do other than drive it more... I'm sure that would help keep it charged up.
Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

My 392 battery drains very fast compared to my gladiator. Both have the steps but the 392 has the G3 where the Gladiator has the G2. That said I did leave it parked for 21 days but my gladiator has gone that long before and still started. The 392 was down to 5.7V.

I tried to test for parasitic draw but it didn’t seem to be drawing anything out of the ordinary. But maybe I didn’t leave my multimeter bridged in for long enough.
If it really got down to 5.7v then that battery is pretty much toast. AGM batteries don't like being discharged below 50%. That's in the neighborhood of 12v.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
If it really got down to 5.7v then that battery is pretty much toast. AGM batteries don't like being discharged below 50%. That's in the neighborhood of 12v.
came back fine on a Noco 10 charger. I got lucky. But yeah 5.7v according to my multi meter. It wouldn’t even jump start. My CTEK wouldn’t charge it— so bought the Noco. Tests fine now, too FWIW as I immediately tried to get it replaced after.

Bombout800

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, g35
Just a heads up to anyone having issues. I read through most pages and had really similar issues. I had issues with deploying and retracting for months.

Hopefully i can save you some time. I checked the sensors on each door numerous times. I changed out all the sensors. Issue stayed the same. I repositioned the magnets until they were perfectly aligned. If i had an issue with deployment, i had some flat magnets on had to check both sensors on that side. I would then check with the doors open to see if they would deploy. That was never the case. It was never the sensors.

I kept having trouble with the driver's side. Non stop. Kept pulling the main plug off the brain and letting it sit. Sometimes a day would go by and no issues. Randomly it wouldn't deploy and id almost eat concrete 🤣🤣 what i found that worked most of the time was just pulling the main fuse and letting it sit overnight.

Randomly a month later it would act up again. Sometimes i could pull the fuse and put it right back in and it would work fine sometimes it wouldn't change a thing. When it didn't i pulled the plug off the brain on that side and then the fuse and let it sit over night. I even swapped a new motor on that side. Same issue. Swapped a whole new slider from rock slide on that side, with a new motor(3rd motor). Issue persisted. I kept being persistent about unplugging that fuse sometimes randomly even when they worked. For the last 6 months zero issues. Also check to make sure all your wires are pushed into the plugs at each brain. I had a time where a wire was pulled out just enough to make it work one second and not the next.

I sort of feel like there's a learn feature on the brains. Maybe the circuit that's supposed to stop deployment if something is in the way trips or has issues. Maybe that's why the deploy and retract issues are there. The passenger side has done it but only once or twice.

I hope this helped. I will say RSE has amazing customer service and they definitely stand behind them. Try and trouble shoot as best you can first. I was pissed off the first probably 8 months i had them and now i absolutely love them. I don't know why the issues. I do know RSE will work with you to make sure the problem is fixed. Just cover the basics and be patient. Don't forget to pull the fuse. If you are having issues and not even necessarily today.. Pull the fuse overnight and see what happens. Good luck.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Just a heads up to anyone having issues. I read through most pages and had really similar issues. I had issues with deploying and retracting for months.

Hopefully i can save you some time. I checked the sensors on each door numerous times. I changed out all the sensors. Issue stayed the same. I repositioned the magnets until they were perfectly aligned. If i had an issue with deployment, i had some flat magnets on had to check both sensors on that side. I would then check with the doors open to see if they would deploy. That was never the case. It was never the sensors.

I kept having trouble with the driver's side. Non stop. Kept pulling the main plug off the brain and letting it sit. Sometimes a day would go by and no issues. Randomly it wouldn't deploy and id almost eat concrete 🤣🤣 what i found that worked most of the time was just pulling the main fuse and letting it sit overnight.

Randomly a month later it would act up again. Sometimes i could pull the fuse and put it right back in and it would work fine sometimes it wouldn't change a thing. When it didn't i pulled the plug off the brain on that side and then the fuse and let it sit over night. I even swapped a new motor on that side. Same issue. Swapped a whole new slider from rock slide on that side, with a new motor(3rd motor). Issue persisted. I kept being persistent about unplugging that fuse sometimes randomly even when they worked. For the last 6 months zero issues. Also check to make sure all your wires are pushed into the plugs at each brain. I had a time where a wire was pulled out just enough to make it work one second and not the next.

I sort of feel like there's a learn feature on the brains. Maybe the circuit that's supposed to stop deployment if something is in the way trips or has issues. Maybe that's why the deploy and retract issues are there. The passenger side has done it but only once or twice.

I hope this helped. I will say RSE has amazing customer service and they definitely stand behind them. Try and trouble shoot as best you can first. I was pissed off the first probably 8 months i had them and now i absolutely love them. I don't know why the issues. I do know RSE will work with you to make sure the problem is fixed. Just cover the basics and be patient. Don't forget to pull the fuse. If you are having issues and not even necessarily today.. Pull the fuse overnight and see what happens. Good luck.
No clue what resolved it?

Sponsored

Deepsea1212

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU WILLYS, JLURD
I have really been leaning toward these steps for my wrangler after I lift it but they just seem like such a hassle for what they are. I put the amp research ones on my wife’s wrangler and they work flawless. It honestly seems like it would be less of a hassle to put real sliders on and keep a step stool for my wife lol. RSE really should reverse engineer the function of the amp research ones to come up with a reliable step.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
So far I have been either lucky or have a good unit. I bought the RSE sliders back in 2020 and with the exception of a bad motor have had no problems. It is critical that the magnet on the door frame is aligned correctly. Also, the slider hates any kind of snow or slush build up on the unit. Bottom line is the slider will NOT deploy or retract with any snow buildup. Right now the motors are slowing down and most likely will need replacing.
As far as drawing down the battery, so far I haven't seen that issue.
I truly rely on the step because of an artificial knee and it would be very difficult for me to get my legs up and over the 36 inch ground to lower door sill.

Bombout800

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, g35
I have really been leaning toward these steps for my wrangler after I lift it but they just seem like such a hassle for what they are. I put the amp research ones on my wife’s wrangler and they work flawless. It honestly seems like it would be less of a hassle to put real sliders on and keep a step stool for my wife lol. RSE really should reverse engineer the function of the amp research ones to come up with a reliable step.
They are by far superior to the amp. I had the amp steps before these and had worse issues. Any sort of build up and they wouldn't deploy or they would get stuck mid deployment. It was a hassle. Driving down the road with a stuck step midway through its travel was annoying. I could never fix the issue and nothing helped. No amount of cleaning or lubrication could fix the issues.

Deepsea1212

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU WILLYS, JLURD
They are by far superior to the amp. I had the amp steps before these and had worse issues. Any sort of build up and they wouldn't deploy or they would get stuck mid deployment. It was a hassle. Driving down the road with a stuck step midway through its travel was annoying. I could never fix the issue and nothing helped. No amount of cleaning or lubrication could fix the issues.
I was hoping that would be the case but, from my experience the ones on my wife’s (granted they don’t see mud) have been flawless. They have practically the same step on every luxury f-150 . . . Have yet to see one driving with it hanging. They obviously don’t have the cool factor or “look” as rugged but they just work. I’ve covered the factory ones on a king ranch F-150 with mud at the deer lease and they never failed. Just pointing out my experience. I have yet to read enough positive comments on the RSE steps to give me the warm fuzzy to purchase and as other have said by the 3rd generation you shouldn’t be a beta tester. Again just my opinion. They do look the best out of anything out there though.

Sponsored

Bombout800

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, g35
I was hoping that would be the case but, from my experience the ones on my wife’s (granted they don’t see mud) have been flawless. They have practically the same step on every luxury f-150 . . . Have yet to see one driving with it hanging. They obviously don’t have the cool factor or “look” as rugged but they just work. I’ve covered the factory ones on a king ranch F-150 with mud at the deer lease and they never failed. Just pointing out my experience. I have yet to read enough positive comments on the RSE steps to give me the warm fuzzy to purchase and as other have said by the 3rd generation you shouldn’t be a beta tester. Again just my opinion. They do look the best out of anything out there though.
I agree with you 100% there shouldnt be any issues. They do have some of the best customer service. They were always willing to help and never blamed me for anything. Just straight to the point. They wanted them working.

HDSlowride

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '16 F350, '18 Honda CR-V, '93 YJ, '07 HD
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Engineer, General Dynamics, Retired
I was just about to order these step rails for my '21 JLUR. My wife can't get in without a step stool or another such aid. I took the standard Rubicon rock rails off and replaced them with some tube rails that help a bit.
After reading this thread from the beginning, and trail riding this weekend with two different jeeps that are having issues, (one side won't retract halfway, another has a broken link pin or something and is wobbly), I believe I'll take a hard pass on this product. I am a retired aerospace/defense manufacturing engineer and I find it unconscionable to market an item this flawed with continuing problems.

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
I was just about to order these step rails for my '21 JLUR. My wife can't get in without a step stool or another such aid. I took the standard Rubicon rock rails off and replaced them with some tube rails that help a bit.
After reading this thread from the beginning, and trail riding this weekend with two different jeeps that are having issues, (one side won't retract halfway, another has a broken link pin or something and is wobbly), I believe I'll take a hard pass on this product. I am a retired aerospace/defense manufacturing engineer and I find it unconscionable to market an item this flawed with continuing problems.
Gen 3 version?

This is a totally different experience than I've had. Similar situation, 5' wife and a 2-1/2" lift.

With 36k miles so far, the Gens 3's have been submerged numerous times, thousands of miles off-highway, rock impacts, deep mud and endured miles of heavily salted roads. However in return, I take good care of them. Thorough pressure washing to clean them out regularly (while deployed) and frequent lubrication per the instructions. Also added front mud flaps to keep reduce the amount of debris they get sprayed with.

I have had to re-boot them occasionally and have had one blown fuse. In my case these have been related to them getting jammed in place by stone chips and debris. A couple kicks to shake out the offending debris followed by a re-boot has resolved those incidents.

For what they've been through and how much more accessible they make the vehicle I'll have no complaints if I eventually have to replace some components. Based on my personal experience I'd buy another set tomorrow.

Understood, there are folks who've had problems - just hard to know the situations or the ratio - that's the tough nut to crack. Completely possible I've just been fortunate.

LF

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
In the same boat with a less than 5' wife, and running 40's with 3.5" lift.
I have a set waiting to go on. I have read about some issues here and there, but there is also a lot of good reviews on the Gen 3's, and they seem to stand behind their product in other reviews. I hope they work out for me like it has for others, and at least I will be able to say from actual experience one way or the other.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
Welp, pick another powered option or take the "Design something else" challenge. There's no lack of "Experts" here that come on the forums just top take a dig at products that they know nothing about.

I've owned a number of powered steps for my various Rams over the past ~15yrs and had the Gen3s purchased before my Jeep was even delivered. I had a bad passenger actuator initially post-install and then another one due to some sort of water seal issue that disabled it for a couple days whenever it got wet. PITA both times to pull the step and replace them but their support is excellent and they went out of their way to help both times. They are still installed on the Jeep today and working well, love them, wouldn't replace them for anything else honestly. Best wishes in the search.
Sponsored

Last edited: