Sponsored

Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I ordered the Gen-3s with the lights, door off kit, and additional armor this summer. The boxes were deposited in my driveway by FedEx about three weeks ago, so I found them when I got home from work. Yesterday was my first chance to do the installation.

First, the box containing the armor says ā€œGen-2ā€ on it, and my steps are Gen-3, so I donā€™t plan to open that box unless/until I can confirm that the Gen-2 armor fits the Gen-3 steps.

Next, the driverā€™s side step was well packed, with multiple high-density foam collars surrounding the steps in several locations, all held in place with plastic wrapping. The box was a bit beat, but the step and bumper strap were fine. The passenger side box contained no foam collars at all. Instead, the step and the strap were loosely packed with a massive amount of brown packing paper, and nothing else. Since the step is extremely heavy, and the paper wasnā€˜t sufficient to secure it, the step and strap were able to slam back and forth during shipping. The step pulverized the box. (See photos below).

The step punched through the box, and there was some abrasion and paint loss, but returning an item that size is a HUGE pain in the ass, and I figured nothing FedEx could have done to it would equal even 5% of the abuse the step would take under the weight of the jeep, so I decided to straighten the bent strap and install the step as it was. Now, after reading this thread, Iā€™m convinced the passenger side step was somebody elseā€™s returnā€¦

I couldn't install the wiring, as the module and wiring harness were not included, but since Iā€˜d set aside the morning to install the steps I decided to do what I could. I started with the strap repair. It took me about 40 minutes with a vice and adjustable wrenches to get the strap reasonably straight, but itā€™s spine was vertically stressed to an extent I couldn't fully correctā€¦ It works, but it doesn't look right, so Iā€˜m going to request a replacement strap and hope the strap adhesive is as faulty as the packing job.

The installation was a pain in the ass. There was insufficient room between the bolt-heads and the washers. No amount of prying or hammering in drivers or wedges would pry open space without striking the bolts hard enough to risk a break or bend in the bolts, so the bolts had to be fully removed and pounded in the vice to create space. There were lots of ways for that to go bad, but it worked and I eventually got the steps on. So far, so bad.

The passenger side step isnā€™t fully retracted. I dont know if powering it up and cycling the step will fix that, as I have no way to power it up, and no way to open the step.

I sent RSE an email over the weekend and another more detailed email with photos today. Iā€˜m hopeful, as their reputation for service is great, but the list of troubles here is so long it will be hard to ever have confidence in the product.

I had intended to get rid of my stock Rubicon rails and the add-on armor, but now Iā€™ll have to keep all that. These rails are too expensive to have this level of hassle and uncertainty.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues 09A2D265-9235-4BDB-AF77-D63F1B39E92A

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues B313C2B3-5029-4109-8CE7-572E63844BBC

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues 1D7EC7D1-F7DD-497A-A709-A365D78898BB

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues 8F00543F-C5FE-4DBD-8EFB-F9E3ECAB869A

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues EAB9D300-ED9C-42A4-A0FE-3C0AEDC01A36

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues 3828ECF6-8C3D-4FF9-BDB4-B5D27763FFAC

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues A207FC12-491B-461A-85DA-E98C94602ED7

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues 50A06F79-1965-462B-8FE7-BE0B0B0015CD

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues 23385D42-F6A2-44CC-BE20-F55D7BB69F16
Sponsored

Last edited:

FINN 2.0

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR. 1979 Ford 150.
Once you get power to your step it will close. If you want, you can jumper wire the motor from any 12-volt DC source.

Also, should add that to reverse motor direction just reverse the wires.

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I ordered the Gen-3s with the lights, door off kit, and additional armor this summer. The boxes were deposited in my driveway by FedEx about three weeks ago, so I found them when I got home from work. Yesterday was my first chance to do the installation.
If you haven't already installed the doors-off kit, save yourself some installation time and don't install it. Get yourself some small magnets and just place them near the sensors when you have the doors off. Much easier.

BTW: I have a doors-off kit for sale cheap if anyone wants it. Lol

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Update: My RSE steps were purchased from Extreme Terrain. I used ETā€™s customer service chat feature to describe my situation. The customer service person asked, ā€œwould you like us to send you some new steps at no charge?ā€ I said, ā€œSureā€. They already had the photos from FedEx showing the package destruction, so they needed no further documentation from me.

I have no access to suitable packing materials for items that large and heavy, so I chose to purchase a new set, so I can use the materials that come with the new steps to ship the old ones, but so far, so good. Fingers crossed.

hellafools

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Anyone run into this issue? Not sure if I got the install wrong or what, and not sure what piece of the Jeep thatā€™s preventing the RSE steps from installing. This is picture is of the front passenger side. Anyone with ideas or run into this? 22 JLU Rubicon XR, Gen III sliders.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues 0261325D-7818-4602-8A1D-C0CBC8D0DC26

Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Are you showing us that the holes donā€™t line up, or that youā€˜re unable to get the step snugged up to the jeep?

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
Are you showing us that the holes donā€™t line up, or that youā€˜re unable to get the step snugged up to the jeep?
Thats the Jeep '22+ crash stop - I'm guessing that install will require a little material removed from either the step or a notch in the crash stop to install flush.

hellafools

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Sorry, I was attempting to show that it canā€™t snug up to Jeep because of the obstruction (the crash stop, I just learned).

hellafools

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Thats the Jeep '22+ crash stop - I'm guessing that install will require a little material removed from either the step or a notch in the crash stop to install flush.
Thank you! I emailed their support, and they mentioned that theyā€™ve made changes to design to account for the crash stop. These are the photos of the cuts Iā€™ll need to make on the older design:

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues AECE5B49-042E-4BB3-B6EB-D97DD7E46669

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues 94A90BC5-252C-496D-A6A1-7F217FC72886

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
Thank you! I emailed their support, and they mentioned that theyā€™ve made changes to design to account for the crash stop. These are the photos of the cuts Iā€™ll need to make on the older design:

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues 94A90BC5-252C-496D-A6A1-7F217FC72886

Good deal... my '21 doesn't have that but knew that new brace was going to cause problems for some of the rail/step install options. Glad it will work out.

Sponsored

leeshuming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe Tuscadero
So, it has been about a month since i last posted on this thread about my problems with the GEN3 steps.

As instructed, i have replaced the module that was sent to me by RSE (kudos! good customer support)... And so far, the fuse is not popping anymore, my steps deploy like they should, the lights are always on, and the motor is no longer hot when i reach and touch it, and so everything seems to be working flawlessly.

However, i must add, the motor still doesn't really deploy as smoothly as the passenger side (good side), and i hear clicking sound and it is loud with it closes. I would assume it is an "alignment" issue, but it really isn't something that i care about to replace it or something.

One more thing i would like to add is that, my buddy who recently got a bronco and got these steps directly installed from his dealer, had basically another step of motors, modules, as well as a new wiring kit, all replaced and fixed, but yet still could not his steps to work. The fuse would just blow all the time...

Definitely, the main problem is, as he still fails to realize, he should have gotten a Jeep.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sorry, I was attempting to show that it canā€™t snug up to Jeep because of the obstruction (the crash stop, I just learned).
Gotcha. Your picture made perfect sense after somebody else pointed it out to me. I was a little slow on the uptake.

leeshuming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe Tuscadero
Well today is November 12...

I am just really frustrated with my step.
2 weeks ago on a trail, my step (driver side, the problematic one) just wouldn't close... Ok it worked again later for the rest of the 2 weeks. So I thought it is a one time thing.

Then yesterday, while on a trail again, my step would not close again... I just cleaned it again, washed and lubricated as usual.. but the step just make this clicking noise.
Check out my video.

Seriously, if you have no problems once installed.. good job...

If you are like me and have 1 good step and 1 bad step... It really sucks..
The hassle and reliability of this step is really not worth it to deal with.

I already have a Jeep that is occasionally supplying me enough "it's a jeep thing!" I honestly do not need another one.

These steps are really nice if working probably... But just not mine.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Well today is November 12...

I am just really frustrated with my step.
2 weeks ago on a trail, my step (driver side, the problematic one) just wouldn't close... Ok it worked again later for the rest of the 2 weeks. So I thought it is a one time thing.

Then yesterday, while on a trail again, my step would not close again... I just cleaned it again, washed and lubricated as usual.. but the step just make this clicking noise.
Check out my video.

Seriously, if you have no problems once installed.. good job...

If you are like me and have 1 good step and 1 bad step... It really sucks..
The hassle and reliability of this step is really not worth it to deal with.

I already have a Jeep that is occasionally supplying me enough "it's a jeep thing!" I honestly do not need another one.

These steps are really nice if working probably... But just not mine.

Contact RSE. My slider magnet moved out of position and didn't work. The sound yours is making is, to my untrained ear, is either a stripped gear or bad motor. I rely on mine because with the lift the door sil is a full 36 inches from the ground. So my suggestion is call rock slide engineering and explain the problem.

leeshuming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe Tuscadero
Contact RSE. My slider magnet moved out of position and didn't work. The sound yours is making is, to my untrained ear, is either a stripped gear or bad motor. I rely on mine because with the lift the door sil is a full 36 inches from the ground. So my suggestion is call rock slide engineering and explain the problem.
the magnet alignment was a past issue. fixed... module problem... fixed... now motor... all the same side.. horrible.
Sponsored