First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Welp. Add me to the list of fools who ordered the Gen3 RSE steps. Ordered in June, received late October, Installed first week of November. Worked intermittently for first two months. Now passenger side dead dead dead (more critical of the two as needed for vertically challenged passenger = wifey) . WTF. Glad I only dropped $3k for this mod or I might feel cheated....not.

NewbieJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I had planned to buy the RSE power step sliders. I heard that they have great factory support and are the only power step slider that can take a beating, which I will be dishing out. My wife needs the step that swings down low, just to get in my JLUR. A step at the bottom of the door (on a normal slider) will be too high. A lady in my 4WD group recommends them, so I think I will take a chance.
Should I go with the gen 2 hydraulic steps, which are still available out there? Or am I better off with the Gen 3 electric steps?

My other option seems to be getting a regular slider, and the steel steps that hang on the slider, with a rope to pull the step up into the cab after climbing in. I really don't want that option.

Long story short: I replaced the motor/circuit board assembly and it has been working ever since. The RSE support has been really good and got the parts out to me quickly. Even overnighted one to me.

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I had planned to buy the RSE power step sliders. I heard that they have great factory support and are the only power step slider that can take a beating, which I will be dishing out. My wife needs the step that swings down low, just to get in my JLUR. A step at the bottom of the door (on a normal slider) will be too high. A lady in my 4WD group recommends them, so I think I will take a chance.
Should I go with the gen 2 hydraulic steps, which are still available out there? Or am I better off with the Gen 3 electric steps?

My other option seems to be getting a regular slider, and the steel steps that hang on the slider, with a rope to pull the step up into the cab after climbing in. I really don't want that option.
Seeing that you live in a warm climate, I would say go with Gen 2 if you can get them. One of the primary improvements of the Gen 3 was improved performance in cold climates so it seems you probably wouldn't benefit much from that. However, another improvement is that the step is longer towards the back.

To you point, I've had great customer service from the company. It seems they've just had a bit of an issue with the new circuit boards in the Gen 3. I'm sure they'll get the bugs out if they haven't already. My steps have been working great for quite a while now and my wife and I are really happy with them.

mastrcruse

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Ive had my Gen 3 sliders for about 2 months now. The passenger side worked for the first few times and now only works when i pull the fuse and they reset. Yay.

Sponsored

dajuicejml

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
Add me to the list of Gen 3 users with issues. I added these to my 392, purchased and installed through RubiTrux conversions. I had no issues for the first couple of months then my passenger side step one day just would not deploy anymore. Worked through a few troubleshooting things with customer support, none of which helped. They sent me a new motor/control board and I removed the step and replaced. Simple enough swap, but frustrating given the price tag of these steps. It's been less than a month since the swap, but no issues yet with the new motor on passenger side.

Today I went to get in my jeep and the DRIVER's SIDE would not deploy... On to troubleshooting again for the other side, so definitely frustrating to say the least.

mastrcruse

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Ive had my Gen 3 sliders for about 2 months now. The passenger side worked for the first few times and now only works when i pull the fuse and they reset. Yay.

Customer service has been great. Was told that some of the early Gen 3's have bad circuit boards. New passenger side on the way.

Last edited:

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I agree with customer service being very good. They've always been helpful and very quick to send out replacement motors. If only they could come to my house to take the step off the Jeep, swap the motor and put it back on.

OP
OP
cball508

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
Just a heads up if anyone is getting that clanking sound when the slider closes, RSE came out with a new bump stop. The old one (on the right) is just a piece of rubber you put on the cross members. Didn't do much and would often fall off. The new one (left) is beefier and has a piece of metal on the upper section with grips to hold the cross-member now. Hope this helps

20220423_130130.jpg

Last edited:

J1337P

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLUD
I wish I read this thread sooner.. have gen 3s in my garage ready to go on. Fingers crossed

Sponsored

J1337P

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLUD
I just installed these today on the jeep. Passenger side works fantastic… drivers side opens when I open a door the first time and will not retract until I reset the fuse. I tried just about everything but can’t seem to get it to work

OP
OP
cball508

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
I just installed these today on the jeep. Passenger side works fantastic… drivers side opens when I open a door the first time and will not retract until I reset the fuse. I tried just about everything but can’t seem to get it to work
I would check the fuse to make sure it's not blown. Maybe you could have a magnet problem on that side too. My first slider I kept having issues where it would pop fuses and sporadically not work. I ended up having a whole new slider shipped to me. No problems since electrically

J1337P

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLUD
I would check the fuse to make sure it's not blown. Maybe you could have a magnet problem on that side too. My first slider I kept having issues where it would pop fuses and sporadically not work. I ended up having a whole new slider shipped to me. No problems since electrically
Lifesaver! Thanks a bunch it was actually both of those issues. My magnet on the driver door was off by like 1/4 inch and I did end up blowing a fuse. Replaced the fuse and moved the magnet and works like a champ.

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
Just a heads up if anyone is getting that clanking sound when the slider closes, RSE came out with a new bump stop. The old one (on the right) is just a piece of rubber you put on the cross members. Didn't do much and would often fall off. The new one (left) is beefier and has a piece of metal on the upper section with grips to hold the crossmember now. How this helps

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues 20220423_130130

Do you happen to know if RSE will provide the new piece if we call them up?

OP
OP
cball508

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
Do you happen to know if RSE will provide the new piece if we call them up?
That's what I did. Told them I had a clanking sound when it closed and they sent the stops out. No charge anything
Sponsored