Sponsored

Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues

leeshuming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe Tuscadero
got my new jeep on March 31. a week later i installed the Gen3 which i ordered back in November, 21. Just an hour ago, there is no more power. I last was stepping on the step, passenger side, installing my new softtop when i closed the door, bam, the whole system is out of power. the step is hanging low now.. now moving, because there is no power... sucks....
Sponsored

nkyjeep

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 f250 platinum, 2021 JL RUBICON
Occupation
retired
got my new jeep on March 31. a week later i installed the Gen3 which i ordered back in November, 21. Just an hour ago, there is no more power. I last was stepping on the step, passenger side, installing my new softtop when i closed the door, bam, the whole system is out of power. the step is hanging low now.. now moving, because there is no power... sucks....
check the fuse by the battery its a big fuse bet its fried put new one in and hope it works, if the fuse is still good pull the fuse and put back in that should reset the steps. if none of this works then you got bigger problems

OP
OP
cball508

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
check the fuse by the battery its a big fuse bet its fried put new one in and hope it works, if the fuse is still good pull the fuse and put back in that should reset the steps. if none of this works then you got bigger problems
This and I'd double check to make sure the master cut off switch (red button) wasn't hit by accident

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
This and I'd double check to make sure the master cut off switch (red button) wasn't hit by accident
Also check the position of the magnet on the door, if out of alignment with the switch the step will not work.

leeshuming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe Tuscadero
Yeah, I got a bad fuse.. just had it replaced and everything is fine again...
I reached out to rockslide engineering, and it is what they told me. I love their products!
Tks!

Sponsored

InjectedCJ7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1978 CJ-7
I’m a Gen 3 user, and I’d like to add my experience to the thread. Bought them last fall, and they worked fine for the first couple of months. Went to Florida for a few months over the winter (left Jeep at home). After returning in April, driver side stopped working after a few uses. RSE helped troubleshoot, and decided it was a bad circuit board (seems pretty common, after reading this thread). PITA to replace the motor/circuit assembly, partly because the step was stuck in the up position, and it needs to be down in order to remove one of the front pinch seam bolts (step assembly has to be removed from Jeep to change motor). So, I pried the step down hoping it would rotate the motor, but instead it bent the motor arm and popped the e-clip off the shaft. In retrospect, I may have been able to reach in from the inner rear opening and pop off the clip, but it would have been nice for RSE to suggest that. All seems well now, but a lot of grief considering how expensive these are. Also, I used the Blaster lubes, dry and liquid, to Lube the steps and springs. Very quiet for now.

John

ljohn_5

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Waste management
Mine started to rattle after 9 months. Specifically from the rear driver’s side. I was able to fix it by pulling the step outwards when it was extended. In the retracted position it was barely touching the housing which caused a rattle sound when driving. Maybe I need to lose weight…

Perhaps the new bump stop design will help with reduce some of these issues.

Otherwise mine have worked well and I’d still recommend.

GA_Jeep

First Name
Winn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
Almost a year later and I finally have functioning steps. They have been working for 3 weeks now so I am hopeful. The replacement step they sent was scraped up, but I sanded and painted to make it look better. They will be scratched up soon enough anyway.
They do bang loud when they close. I may ask for the bump stops. Why do they not send these with the steps? Also my passenger side has started to rattle when just riding down the road. Anyone know if adjusting the spring tension will help this?
I guess I will be calling them again tomorrow.
They have been good to send parts, but if this had been an easier product to ship back I would have quit messing with them after the second time removing and replacing them.

SuperUltraMan

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon, JL Wrangler Rubicon
I’ve had the Gen2 on my Wrangler for years and love them but I had some problems with my Gen3 steps on my Gladiator.
Passenger side worked only intermittently, sometimes lost power, wiggly steps….
After replacing motors twice I found a connection that had one prong that had been bent over and flattened that was most likely causing my intermittent power issues.
The guys at RockSlideEngineering have been great. They’ve never hesitated to help with my concerns. It’s taken months but I’ve finally got them working great.
I’ve now been able to lift my Gladiator way too high without needing a ladder!
I almost went another direction due to my frustration but I’m glad I stuck with them.

Sponsored

phageghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I’ve had the Gen2 on my Wrangler for years and love them but I had some problems with my Gen3 steps on my Gladiator.
Passenger side worked only intermittently, sometimes lost power, wiggly steps….
After replacing motors twice I found a connection that had one prong that had been bent over and flattened that was most likely causing my intermittent power issues.
The guys at RockSlideEngineering have been great. They’ve never hesitated to help with my concerns. It’s taken months but I’ve finally got them working great.
I’ve now been able to lift my Gladiator way too high without needing a ladder!
I almost went another direction due to my frustration but I’m glad I stuck with them.

phageghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
It sounds like there are 2 primary mechanisms by which these RSE steps fail:
1. Misalignment of the step
2. Failures of the circuit board containing the control logic

With respect to #2, there could be a few things going on:
1. Defective manufacturing or parts on the circuit board
* Likely not much we can do about this except to wait for RSE to get their design / vendor / QA issues sorted
2. Failures caused by normal operation such as inadequately damped current or voltage spikes
* Again, not much end users can do about that
3. Failures caused by corrosion or water ingress
* This could potentially be addressed by end users.

For those who have replaced your circuit boards, are there any visible marks that might indicate a failed component or corroded connection?

Just like folks have been potting their locker sensors as a preventative measure, I wonder if it makes sense to try to do the same thing to the RSE circuit boards? Especially since these things are down low and potentially exposed to a lot of water and other road "schmutz". Dielectric grease in any connectors, and I'm interested in what measures they've taken to protect the board itself. A good conformal coating would definitely be recommended for this application, if they don't have them coated already, maybe an aftermarket solution like this product: https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Silicone-Conformal-Coating/dp/B085G42TGS/ might be an option . . .

leeshuming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe Tuscadero
I have posted with my problem with my gen3 back in April. It was a fuse problem.

But recently, about a month ago back in August, i realized my driver side step would not deploy when the passenger is working properly. Based on my experience, i would check the fuse.

Fuse checked, still good, unplugged and plugged, and my step works again.

However, another week goes by, i happened to be doing this on a daily basis. So 2 weeks ago, i contacted RSE, they said it was a "module" problem and would send me a replacement. Great.

OK i got the new module today, and before i removed the step, i just unplugged the power source of the module and connected it to the replacement one to test. Everything was fine except, my step still wouldn't deploy. Ok, unplugged and re-plugged fuse, problem fixed... 30 mins later, i tested again, same old problem. It is not a module problem.

I just sent another email to RSE, letting them know about this while at the same time, i have just also found out that there is no light (i have the light upgrade) and that the silver metal piece (motor?) behind the module is burning hot, similarly like touching a hot kettle. I checked the passenger side (the good side) for assurance and surely that is ok to touch.

Anyway, I will wait for RSE's answer and update you all.

Seriously, the steps are great, but RSE really needs to fix their design from the perspective of maintainence especially of changing parts like modules and motor.

Some one did warn me about getting these steps, and surely i regret gettting them.

LukeSkywalker43

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bondirentals.co
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, Tundra
Every time im working up the courage to spend on these, i run into another thread highlighting the various issues and I find myself looking elsewhere. I was really hoping the gen 3 had fixed a lot of the previous issues but it looks like the kinks are still being worked out. They look freaking great though.