Rock Slide Engineering Gen 3 Slider issues

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
the magnet alignment was a past issue. fixed... module problem... fixed... now motor... all the same side.. horrible.
I am having a issue with the driver side slider as well now. When the step retracts the motor sounds like it's struggling getting the step up. Once the step stopped short of full retract. I took the jeep to the installer who said simply lub it. I did and while it does retract, it is slower than the passenger side. I have a feeling that before long I will have to replace the motor.
Sponsored

leeshuming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe Tuscadero
I am having a issue with the driver side slider as well now. When the step retracts the motor sounds like it's struggling getting the step up. Once the step stopped short of full retract. I took the jeep to the installer who said simply lub it. I did and while it does retract, it is slower than the passenger side. I have a feeling that before long I will have to replace the motor.
yep, motor problem, definitely... RSE just offered to send me a replacement...

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
My driver side has always bang when retracting loudly from the beginning. There was a little bit of a stutter when coming out. It was also a loose wobbly step. Passenger side has been flawless.

RSE sent me some spacers for the wobbly step which fixed it but still has the stutter coming down and loud bang going up. Now the driver side is creaking when it comes down.

do the bump stop quiet it down that much?

mastrcruse

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Add me to the list. I ordered one of the first rounds of Gen 3 steps for my JLU. I didn't have them hooked up for long until I started having an issue with the passenger side. Was sent a new passenger side step. They didn't work still so was sent all new magnets and sensors. Fixed the problem but since it was still stock height I turned them off.

The jeep went into Rebel for all the work and they hooked em' up and got them working. First, new mounts were released so received that update. Battery was draining completely within 2-3 days. Found fault issues with the steps - now two new motors.

In a short period of time - 1 all new step, all new sensors and magnets, new wiring harness, new mounts, and motors. Their customer service is great but having to remove the steps so many times is SUCH a PITA.

If the Jeep wasn't so tall, I'd ditch them in a heartbeat.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Everyone I know that has these has had nothing but problems with them
I've met a few people on Jeep Jamborees. No issues, including with my own. Anecdotal evidence, of course, but that's my experience.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I've met a few people on Jeep Jamborees. No issues, including with my own. Anecdotal evidence, of course, but that's my experience.
I’ve had issues with both of my vehicles steps from them both gen 3 and gen 2. Both were quickly resolved by support though with no follow up issues. The support is what makes the product worthwhile IMO as they’re pricey.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
I’ve had issues with both of my vehicles steps from them both gen 3 and gen 2. Both were quickly resolved by support though with no follow up issues. The support is what makes the product worthwhile IMO as they’re pricey.
Yeah mine (G3) have been fine since the 2nd passenger motor replacement (knocking on wood). Support is excellent.

I have determined though that they are drawing down my battery when left unattended for a few weeks at a time. I'm going to have to figure out some way to put a breaker on the fuse or similar to disable them when I'm not using the 392... maybe I can put them on one of the heavy AUX switches and just turn them off when I know I'll be away, not used, etc. Need to figure something out. Guess I'll just pull the fuse for now.

FINN 2.0

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR. 1979 Ford 150.
Yeah mine (G3) have been fine since the 2nd passenger motor replacement (knocking on wood). Support is excellent.

I have determined though that they are drawing down my battery when left unattended for a few weeks at a time. I'm going to have to figure out some way to put a breaker on the fuse or similar to disable them when I'm not using the 392... maybe I can put them on one of the heavy AUX switches and just turn them off when I know I'll be away, not used, etc. Need to figure something out. Guess I'll just pull the fuse for now.
That's what I did, hook them up to an AUX switch since the wiring from the steps came up right where the AUX wiring is anyway.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Flipping the switch that turns them off isn't sufficient?

Sponsored

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
That's what I did, hook them up to an AUX switch since the wiring from the steps came up right where the AUX wiring is anyway.
Ok will play with that soon. Thanks for the confirmation.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
Flipping the switch that turns them off isn't sufficient?
The switch keeps them from deploying but they are still powered (lights still come on with the switch off). You have to break them at the 20A fuse or battery link I guess. I'm going to wire this to AUX 1 or 2 I think and see if that will work so I can turn on the AUX circuit when I'm not able to drive for a week or longer.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The switch keeps them from deploying but they are still powered (lights still come on with the switch off). You have to break them at the 20A fuse or battery link I guess. I'm going to wire this to AUX 1 or 2 I think and see if that will work so I can turn on the AUX circuit when I'm not able to drive for a week or longer.
They're obviously going to draw some power when that switch is enabled. Are you sure there's a draw when it's disabled?

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
They're obviously going to draw some power when that switch is enabled. Are you sure there's a draw when it's disabled?
I measured with the switch off. The door sensors and associated electronics stay on with the step switch off. I've done the dead battery dance about three times now, last episode was this past week (with the switch off).
I'm checking that now, switch off this time. The current draw doesn't seem to be affected by the step switch position.

Jeep will be parked for the next week or two... will update with findings but pretty sure I know what will happen.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

My 392 battery drains very fast compared to my gladiator. Both have the steps but the 392 has the G3 where the Gladiator has the G2. That said I did leave it parked for 21 days but my gladiator has gone that long before and still started. The 392 was down to 5.7V.

I tried to test for parasitic draw but it didn’t seem to be drawing anything out of the ordinary. But maybe I didn’t leave my multimeter bridged in for long enough.
Sponsored