Rhino Rack Backbone Installed!

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
According to Rhino Rack at LAST Overland Expo East... there is a NEW version of the Pioneer rack.

Does anyone know the part number or how to tell NOS (new old stock) from the the new design when ordering? Thanks
Sponsored

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
According to Rhino Rack at LAST Overland Expo East... there is a NEW version of the Pioneer rack.

Does anyone know the part number or how to tell NOS (new old stock) from the the new design when ordering? Thanks
Dave, I met you at the Expo last year and saw the rack in person. I don’t know if they actually went through with the change they had on display. My rack doesn’t have the changes. Let me know what you find out.

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Dave, I met you at the Expo last year and saw the rack in person. I don’t know if they actually went through with the change they had on display. My rack doesn’t have the changes. Let me know what you find out.
What were the changes?

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
Mostly aesthetics. I am not sure what page it is on but there are pictures of the differences in the sticky thread regarding roof racks.

digirati

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The only inside bracket is shown in the picture and it lies out of the way against the wall of the hard top. The Rhino Rack sits about 3 inches above the roof so I can get my hand under the rack to tighten things. I don’t know if the Maximus is too close to the roof to get a hand underneath.
What legs do you have under the Pioneer Platform? The low profile ones or the quick release type?

Sponsored

GuapoJeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Does anyone know if the pioneer platform is necessary to run a Smittybilt Overlander XL tent? I am going back and forth between the Rhino-Rack 3 bar backbone system and the Pioneer Backbone system? My concern is the added height with the platform, it might not fit in the garage. Seems that most people have the pioneer platform, but for my needs (surfboard/snowboard racks and mounting a rtt) I am hoping it is not necessary. Also, if anyone can tell me how much added height this adds to the top, it would be greatly appreciated! Quadratec says it adds 3.5" with the legs but I want to confirm before I pull the trigger.

Last edited:

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Does anyone know if the pioneer platform is necessary to run a Smittybilt Overlander XL tent? I am going back and forth between the Rhino-Rack 3 bar backbone system and the Pioneer Backbone system? My concern is the added height with the platform, it might not fit in the garage. Seems that most people have the pioneer platform, but for my needs (surfboard/snowboard racks and mounting a rtt) I am hoping it is not necessary. Also, if anyone can tell me how much added height this adds to the top, it would be greatly appreciated! Quadratec says it adds 3.5" with the legs but I want to confirm before I pull the trigger.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...list-jl-jlu-wrangler.2665/page-48#post-773466

It would be great if heights were stickied in the roof rack list thread.

AdvEddie

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Rubicon EcoDiesel -15 Ram 2500 Cummins Mega
Does anyone that has gone this route have any regrets about drilling holes in their Jeep tops....? I really struggle with that one. I mean you can't really go back from there. I also worry about leaks.

How is it removing the top with the rack? I am going to use a garage smart hoist and wondering if it will work with this setup.

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone that has gone this route have any regrets about drilling holes in their Jeep tops....? I really struggle with that one. I mean you can't really go back from there. I also worry about leaks.

How is it removing the top with the rack? I am going to use a garage smart hoist and wondering if it will work with this setup.
I did it a few months back and do not regret it at all. I haven't had any leaks. Just be patient while installing and measure again and again just to be sure before drilling. It went well for me and I currently have it hoisted in my garage. It is pretty much the same as removing the hardtop without it, just heavier. Let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
D3C36A12-AF05-467C-97FB-539126E943D5.jpeg
80C3EC9E-1A08-4F9E-ADE2-79B19DF85643.jpeg
D205B61C-5F80-4B00-A969-CECA5745380D.jpeg
101A1D78-3B3F-449E-A851-5FC61797C1F3.jpeg

I just installed this about a month ago. No regrets, and I think it looks great, but I did drill one hole that was off. I freaked out but fortunately it was in a place that was covered by one of the mount plates. I filled the hole with epoxy. I was a major pain in the ass to put the thing together and get the backbone system to fit it properly. I was telling myself afterwards that I wouldn’t accept any amount of money to install this for someone else. Here are some pics.

The front panel comes off easily because there’s nothing drilled into it and I don’t plan on taking off the rear. I can’t imagine it being too difficult though aside from the weight.

Sponsored

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Any issues with the antennas after installing? Any need to relocate towards the front of the Jeep?

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
I can’t imagine any issues with antennas. It doesn’t get in the way of anything on mine.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Any issues with the antennas after installing? Any need to relocate towards the front of the Jeep?
The XM antenna needs to be relocated if you use the long Pioneer rack. You’ll get signal drop outs quite often with that hunk of metal right above the antenna. This bracket makes it easy: https://maximus-3.com/home/maximus-3-jl-satellite-antenna-relocation-bracket

I haven’t had any issues with the GPS antenna, but I don’t use it very often.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Does anyone have an ARB awning mounted with the rhino roof rack pioneer platform? Interested to see how/where the awning brackets where installed. Thanks.
Sponsored