Sponsored

Installed Rhino Rack Backbone Pioneer platform -- Wobbly Rubicon.

jaumeAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Hi everyone.
I tried looking around in the forum for this problem but I couldn't find anything that relates to this specific one.

I recently bought a Rubicon JL. I was shopping around for roof racks and after a lot of researchI decided to go for a Rhino Rack Pioneer platform with the quick connect system. I installed it, it had it's own set of challenges but it worked in the end.

The next day I went out to run some errands and the car just felt very different. It was wobblier than usual. It leaned much more than usual when turning. it feels like it is a lot back heavier than usual and feels like it is about to lose traction in the front on turns or bumps.

I can expect it to feel a bit different due to the heavy rack that i installed, but, I don't know, this felt like a bit too much?

Do any of you guys have experience with this rack system? Have you noticed the same?

I mean, the idea of looking into new shocks one month after buying the Rubicon only due to a roof rack doesn't excite me. I will be upgrading it, but with measure and in time. :)

thanks for your insight!
Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Don’t have the Pioneer on ours, went with the bars, but even with a RTT on our Jeep isn’t wobbly. Without the RTT I can’t tell any difference. Tried taking the platform off to see how it feels?

OP
OP
jaumeAV

jaumeAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
yah, I'm going to be doing that and see how it feels. Thanks for replying. :)

I'm also going to look into suspension and see if there is something there.

Hopefully someone with the same setup can see this and maybe have some insight. :)

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I have the rack and backbone system, no changes in handling at all. I'm on a RK 2.5" lift though. Either the springs from my lift are far better than the stock Mopar junk, or I think maybe you were expecting to feel something and did. You sure your sway bar is connected? 84 pounds shouldn't be enough to effect the handling of the Jeep, especially if you are not sitting really tall.

fjavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2020 JLUR 3.6 auto, 335 bmw
I actually have a stock Rubicon JL Unlimited with the backbone + pioneer platform and I really don't notice a difference in handling. In fact, just a few days ago I had to remove the pioneer rack since I realized I had a slight leak that I had to fix. After I took it off, I went for a drive and I noticed no change in driving behavior.

Sponsored

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
I have the Rhino Rack Backbone and Platform too. I have to agree with the majority and say I can't really notice a handling difference.

OP
OP
jaumeAV

jaumeAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
hi guys, apologies for the delay in responding, I have been slammed at work with crazy deliverables and on top of everything, for some reason, I'm not getting the email notifications for the responses.

Anyway, thanks all for the responses.

I did come up to the Big Bear Lake cabin we have with it on (plus a Thule box and a couple more things up there) and I still felt like it was wobblier but I think I got used to it. My wife said she didn't feel it any different than before. Not sure, maybe I did subconsciously expect something and did...

I'll still have to try it out without the rack and see if there is any difference.

I'll also be installing these step bars soon:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/smittybilt-src-side-step-bars-2018-jl-4-door.html#customer_q_and_a

I imagine they will weigh down the Jeep further. I'm still new and learning and I wonder at what point I'll start to feel that weight and have to consider new shocks.
Sponsored