Sponsored

Removing the automatic braking system pump will void warranty?

OP
OP

Adamparis22

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu sport
The rationale given for disabling ABS isn't persuasive to me. But to each their own.

ABS is a safety system. Disabling it will likely disable Stablility Control as well. That may seem like a good idea to you as well. You also may want to cut the seat belts out and remove the air bags as well. Cutting out the roll cage would probably save some weight.
Abs increases the distance to stop in a situation where you need to stop right now, I’ve almost been in a few accident caused by abs
Sponsored

OP
OP

Adamparis22

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu sport
If I were doing these types of mods, the last thing I would worry about is the warranty.
Only warranty I care about is engine and trans two things that have yet to be fully proven

OP
OP

Adamparis22

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu sport
No need? So what happens when you don't want to lock the brakes but panic and end up locking the brakes causing injury or damage to you or someone else?

If you don't want safety features go buy an old CJ. Don't forget to remove the seatbelts too.
I’ve never owned anything with abs and I can manage my own braking just fine with a lot bigger trucks towing trailers and so on, I’ve never had such an issue

OP
OP

Adamparis22

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu sport
The rationale given for disabling ABS isn't persuasive to me. But to each their own.

ABS is a safety system. Disabling it will likely disable Stablility Control as well. That may seem like a good idea to you as well. You also may want to cut the seat belts out and remove the air bags as well. Cutting out the roll cage would probably save some weight.
Well my work truck doesn’t have air bags and I drive that 4x as much as my Jeep so you might be on to something.
I’ve never needed a vehicles help via abs for braking and in the ones that have had it before we disabled it, it would increase braking distance by double or more.
But maybe that’s just me thinking that if vehicles still required the driver to be well a driver everyone wouldn’t need the cars to drive themselves

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
ABS isn't so much about stopping faster, it's about maintaining control and not going into a slide. Not much of an issue on dry pavement, but when you lock them up on slick surfaces you are at the mercy of many other forces such as grade, direction, surface deformities, etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Adamparis22

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu sport
ABS isn't so much about stopping faster, it's about maintaining control and not going into a slide. Not much of an issue on dry pavement, but when you lock them up on slick surfaces you are at the mercy of many other forces such as grade, direction, surface deformities, etc.
As long as you can manage braking force with your foot this will not be a problem but as someone said “in a panic you slam the pedal to the floor” but like I’ve said everything I’ve ever daily driven has weighed 8k or more and not had abs so to say I have grown accustom to working my brakes vs everyone else I guess.
Just my preference I get what everyone’s saying and coming from but opinions aside I was more or less concerned about my motor and trans warranty

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The warranty on the engine and transmission should remain intact. But you may encounter dealerships that decline to work on your vehicle if it's modified. They are independently owned and can decline to work on any vehicle. Your warranty is with FCA, not any dealer.

If you have modified a vehicle, you may be liable if it's involved in a serious accident, or even if you sell or loan it and it is involved in an accident. But if you have nothing of value to lose, you would have nothing to worry about. It boils down to whether modifying it is worth it to you in the big picture.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
Abs increases the distance to stop in a situation where you need to stop right now, I’ve almost been in a few accident caused by abs
I’ve never owned anything with abs and I can manage my own braking just fine with a lot bigger trucks towing trailers and so on, I’ve never had such an issue
If you haven’t owned one, what is the basis for your opinions? What was the age of any light duty vehicles you have tested or driven with ABS? What were the conditions? Your statements seem contrary to logic. Additionally, I’m curious as to what you will be mounting under the hood in the space formerly occupied by the ABS components. It’s quite interesting that your first forum post is one which would quickly generate such activity....

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I’m pretty sure the abs system is how the brake lock differential works, even if you are the worlds most controlled braker, you can’t apply the brakes to a single wheel in low traction situations. You could pull the fuel injection and install a carb while you’re at it, but you won’t be improving anything by doing that either.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Adamparis22

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu sport
I’m pretty sure the abs system is how the brake lock differential works, even if you are the worlds most controlled braker, you can’t apply the brakes to a single wheel in low traction situations. You could pull the fuel injection and install a carb while you’re at it, but you won’t be improving anything by doing that either.
Not planning on keeping the stock axles so would most likely get a clutch style lsd

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I don’t see a way to do it without affecting warranty. Drivetrain is engine and tranny and everything that goes with it. No ABS affects all that because really it goes back to the wheel speed sensors which gives the pcm the information and unless you reprogram the pcm I don’t see how it would work. If you do reprogram the pcm that voids your warranty. Just my .02

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Like I said, pull the fuse on ABS and it won't work. You'll get a warning light, but, that's easily ignored.

But if you permanently remove it, I wouldn't think you'd have much resale value.