Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I did this today, didn't think pics would be in demand or I would have taken one. Didn't notice a big sound increase. I think these things mostly dampen the tick of the fuel injectors. The engine looks better IMO, more like a real engine.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Mine went in the trash on Day 2. I find it hard to believe it affects sound in any way, but I'm not calling OP a liar. It simply served no purpose, so to the trash it went. Ditto for the rubber receiver plug.
It does serve a purpose, it makes the motor look more like a simple appliance rather than a complicated assembly of moving parts and electrical connections. Also makes it easier to hide potential problems from unknowing buyers down the road. I have no problem removing it but wouldn't throw it away as it may come in handy when trying to hide a leaking head gasket 10 years later lol :)

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thought about removing mine, but I don't want to make the 2.0T less reliable.....;)

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
1. Aluminium
2. Does not corrode
Aluminum does not corrode? Then you don't know what you are talking about. There are 11 forms of aluminum corrosion. Go see what all of the JL people that have had bubbling paint say about it, read the bulletion FCA put out on what they will and will not cover for aluminum cirrosion, or the class action law suit F-150 owners have against Ford for aluminum hood corrosion.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Some forums have members who ruthlessly state "Pictures, or it didn't happen..." But I'm nicer than them.

(The pictures of the crated engine on page two show only clothed and "half-nekkid"--the cover is only half off. I'm looking forward to seeing a nekkid motor "in the bay.")

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
1. Aluminium
2. Does not corrode
It absolutely does. Ever look at an aluminum engine head after 10 years of salt and rain? Corrosion all over. Not to mention galvanic corrosion when you attach aluminum panels with dissimilar metal bolts. Or stress corrosion cracking... the latter two are huge issues in commercial aviation.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The Gladiator forum thread is even more exhausting than this one, and I didn't think that was possible.

"You know you're on a new vehicle forum when......"

People should probably put down the keyboard and walk out to their vehicle and grab a wrench
Sponsored