Removed Stock Muffler

DynoMax Exhaust

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wangler
What was the "secret" to the removal? We found that a good ol' twist got them out.

Installed the Dynomax today, and I have to say for only having one bolt to undo, the install sucked. The exhaust hangers were a total pain in the ass. I used 2 different exhaust hanger removal tools, and still fought them for about an hour. I thought about pulling the bolts to the hanger brackets, but they were going to be just as hard to get to, so I decided to fight the hangers and eventually won the battle.

Iā€™ve only done one short cruise so far, but I took the Jeep up to 80mph and once cruising in 8th, I could barely tell a change was made. Any throttle inputs though and the sound is ā€˜significantā€™ . Iā€™ll run it for a week or two and see how it breaks in.

It definitely saves a good amount of weight, and removes a pretty restrictive looking bend the stock pipe has in it right before the muffler. So far Iā€™m happy- you canā€™t really beat it for 100 bucks.

The DM pipe is finished with a down turn and a straight cut. So no frills at all, and definitely not as nice looking as the Flowmaster tip, but itā€™s tucked up high and no one will ever see it really. Bonus that the DM slid right on perfectly, while the FM pipe was a definite no go.

Clip is just a cold start and idle down immediately after tightening the exhaust clamp. I did a few quick revs up to about 2800 rpms or so, and then drove off out of my garage. My Jeep is running the Superchips 91 octane ā€˜Performanceā€™ tune, so it may sound slightly different than a Jeep with a stock ECU. I think the tune causes my Jeep to have a more sensitive throttle and rev quicker. With the tune and this pipe the Jeep is definitely quick, even with my 35ā€ tires it pulls hard and shifts are very quick. Hope this helps some of you decide what to go with...

Sponsored

RockymtnJL

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 23 JLUR 4XE
What was the "secret" to the removal? We found that a good ol' twist got them out.
Yup twisting, swearing, and swaying the muffler back and forth a bit finally got them off! It was worth it though, about 1000 miles in and the sound has mellowed out a bit, I like it more and more.

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I had a custom exhaust put on today which gave me the quiet rock crawler I wanted. Recall I had a Magnaflow Catback Rock Crawler system. It was throaty but had too much drone and even made my Jeep feel sluggish.

In any case after looking at just about everything I decided to replace the MF muffler (it really is a resonator) with a Borla ProXS universal muffler. 2.25"/2.25" center/offset muffler. In front of the Borla (which does not drone), I put in a 12" resonator from Vibrant.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E3VHVO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.borla.com/products/proxs_225_offsetcenter_14x425x788_muffler_part__40658.html

I kept the tailpipe section and some of the connecting pipe.

My exhaust guy tig welded most of the setup but clamped the front bit coming off the y-pipe.

I will post a video over the weekend but I can tell you the early returns are excellent. Decibels are maxing out at 74 but most of the time the Jeep stays in the 60s and gets into the 50s at idle. There is no drone, it's not loud and the car moves a bit easier IMO.

So for what it is worth if you have a capable exhaust shop near you and want a rock crawler for a daily driver this could be an option.

Parts: Borla Muffler $93, Vibrant 12" Resonator $48, Misc parts/weld material $85, Labor $240 What is missing is likely another $75 in making a custom tailpipe with bends. So all in this would be ~$540-570.

I was burned by dropping $385 (Black Friday Sale) on the MF crawler, $150 on dealer install. So $535 all in.

Had I done more research on this forum :) I would have built a system I wanted and saved over $500.

If you wanted something as quiet as stock you can go with the Vibrant quiet resonator.

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1141...PM8AG278SVS&psc=1&refRID=WQW03A2BYPM8AG278SVS

Bravo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0, 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega CTD, 2019 Roadglide Special, 2015 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 2019 Skidoo Summit X 165, and 2018 Skidoo Summit X 154
I didnā€™t bother with the hangers... removed the 4 bolts holding the hangers to the frame and dropped the muffler... 5 min job

Bravo

vtech243

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL & BMW X3 M40i
So I must be getting old because I painted the stock muffler black and put it back on. It was just too loud..especially in a soft top on longer trips.

I do eventually want to get a smaller muffler that is a bit louder than than factory and either mount it in the stock position or after the resonator. Something a tad smaller and more protected from the rocks.

Oh and not to mention CA now has a 1000$ minimum fine for being caught without a muffler. Also, if you are over a certain decible. Not a fix it ticket any longer. Although since we donā€™t drive Honda civics, we would likely never get pulled over.
This is exactly what I was thinking ... maybe Iā€™m just getting too old. I was/am watching the ā€œquiet high-tuckā€ thread as well to see if anything comes out of there before pulling the muffler off to paint.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Yup. Why anyone decides to mess with the hangers is beyond me.
Done several exhaust setups over the years, almost always easier to remove the hangers rather than trying to get those hanger prongs free from the rubber hangers.

Just installed the Dynomax muffler delete pipe, took 10 minutes to remove the hangers and pipe clamp and another 5 minutes to install. You only need a 13 & 15mm box end wrench and same socket sizes. I put a bit of silicone grease on the new Dynomax hanger prong just to make it slide better. FWIW very happy w/ the tone throughout rpm ranges and at start up. I may get a flex section and a black exhaust tip for a more finished look, but sound exceeds my expectations for sure, and no cabin drone either.

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
We just installed the @DynoMax Exhaust muffler delete #39537 on our @TankCustomsAlex JL.
I have an AFE RB center exit exhaust on my JLU, and I really wish this was available at the time(Would have saved me a fair amount of money, with similar sound).

The installation is very easy if you remove the hanger brackets rather than messing around with the rubber hangers while installed on the Jeep.

The sound is great for what it is (Unfortunately the pentastar will never sound like a V8 :() There doesn't seem to be any drone regardless of speed. About the only time I feel the delete pipe is a little loud is on a cold start.

I took a quick video after the install, maybe Alex can chime in with his opinion and a better sound clip.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Is this the delete kit where you take the muffler off and put that 2 foot section pipe on is this all that is? And before I try this can I not just take the muffler off or is it going to be louder ?

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Is this the delete kit where you take the muffler off and put that 2 foot section pipe on is this all that is? And before I try this can I not just take the muffler off or is it going to be louder ?
No, that not it. Take a look at the link below but shop around for your best deal from one of the forum vendors. What your showing keeps the muffler and adds a pipe replacing the resonator and add a cutout.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...lackheart-axle-back-exhaust-kit-w-out-muffler

or

https://www.quadratec.com/p/hooker-headers/axle-back-exhaust-kit-wo-muffler-jeep-wrangler-jl

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Done several exhaust setups over the years, almost always easier to remove the hangers rather than trying to get those hanger prongs free from the rubber hangers.

Just installed the Dynomax muffler delete pipe, took 10 minutes to remove the hangers and pipe clamp and another 5 minutes to install. You only need a 13 & 15mm box end wrench and same socket sizes. I put a bit of silicone grease on the new Dynomax hanger prong just to make it slide better. FWIW very happy w/ the tone throughout rpm ranges and at start up. I may get a flex section and a black exhaust tip for a more finished look, but sound exceeds my expectations for sure, and no cabin drone either.
how is the sound ? can the dealership try to not cover something in the engine if it goes bad and blame it on no muffler ?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
how is the sound ? can the dealership try to not cover something in the engine if it goes bad and blame it on no muffler ?
Never know w/ certainty what a dealer would do regarding trying to avoid a warranty claim so I really can't say for sure. The motor still has the Catalytic converters and mid-pipe resonator, and this is well after the O2 sensors, but I suppose under the right circumstances they could make a case. You could also just keep the beer keg in your attic and put it back on if you have to make a trip to the dealer, only takes about 15 minutes to change it back.

As far as sound, I've been very happy w/ it, not obtrusive but lets you know what the motors doing when you want it to :)
Sponsored