Sponsored

Removed Stock Muffler

Bravo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0, 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega CTD, 2019 Roadglide Special, 2015 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 2019 Skidoo Summit X 165, and 2018 Skidoo Summit X 154
Nice job. Does it sound exactly the same as no muffler?
I would say it sounds the same... perhaps a lil quieter as it exits out the back of the Jeep in a proper location instead of dumping right in front of the rear axle when I removed the muffler

ojones7

First Name
Owain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Thoughts ? It looks like the end has slots so that it will slip on easier.

EFAC1384-2A7A-4D64-8435-9A8F560053BB.png
Man, I wish I would have just gone for this one. I went with the Flowmaster due to the looks and hoped the issues others had would be minimal. I was wrong, definite PITA!

RockymtnJL

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 23 JLUR 4XE
Thoughts ? It looks like the end has slots so that it will slip on easier.

EFAC1384-2A7A-4D64-8435-9A8F560053BB.png
My Dynomax just arrived today. I had the Flowmaster version but I didnā€™t want to deal with the poor fit etc, so I returned it. Iā€™ll try to get the DM installed tomorrow and shoot a couple of sound clips.

RockymtnJL

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 23 JLUR 4XE
Installed the Dynomax today, and I have to say for only having one bolt to undo, the install sucked. The exhaust hangers were a total pain in the ass. I used 2 different exhaust hanger removal tools, and still fought them for about an hour. I thought about pulling the bolts to the hanger brackets, but they were going to be just as hard to get to, so I decided to fight the hangers and eventually won the battle.

Iā€™ve only done one short cruise so far, but I took the Jeep up to 80mph and once cruising in 8th, I could barely tell a change was made. Any throttle inputs though and the sound is ā€˜significantā€™ . Iā€™ll run it for a week or two and see how it breaks in.

It definitely saves a good amount of weight, and removes a pretty restrictive looking bend the stock pipe has in it right before the muffler. So far Iā€™m happy- you canā€™t really beat it for 100 bucks.

The DM pipe is finished with a down turn and a straight cut. So no frills at all, and definitely not as nice looking as the Flowmaster tip, but itā€™s tucked up high and no one will ever see it really. Bonus that the DM slid right on perfectly, while the FM pipe was a definite no go.

Clip is just a cold start and idle down immediately after tightening the exhaust clamp. I did a few quick revs up to about 2800 rpms or so, and then drove off out of my garage. My Jeep is running the Superchips 91 octane ā€˜Performanceā€™ tune, so it may sound slightly different than a Jeep with a stock ECU. I think the tune causes my Jeep to have a more sensitive throttle and rev quicker. With the tune and this pipe the Jeep is definitely quick, even with my 35ā€ tires it pulls hard and shifts are very quick. Hope this helps some of you decide what to go with...

Last edited:

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
So I must be getting old because I painted the stock muffler black and put it back on. It was just too loud..especially in a soft top on longer trips.

I do eventually want to get a smaller muffler that is a bit louder than than factory and either mount it in the stock position or after the resonator. Something a tad smaller and more protected from the rocks.

Oh and not to mention CA now has a 1000$ minimum fine for being caught without a muffler. Also, if you are over a certain decible. Not a fix it ticket any longer. Although since we donā€™t drive Honda civics, we would likely never get pulled over.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Here's a quick clip of my Flowmaster Outlaw Cat-back:

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
How loud is this on highway?
Under normal conditions, you hear it but it's not annoying. If you're climbing or facing a stiff headwind and it downshifts to around 2200 RPM then the drone is substantial.

Arasto1

First Name
Abhinav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler unlimited JL sports S
Under normal conditions, you hear it but it's not annoying. If you're climbing or facing a stiff headwind and it downshifts to around 2200 RPM then the drone is substantial.
Ok, no help from flowmaster to get rid of the drone?

i have someone near me who is selling it pretty cheap so wanted to get some feedback before i purchase it.

Sponsored

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Ok, no help from flowmaster to get rid of the drone?

i have someone near me who is selling it pretty cheap so wanted to get some feedback before i purchase it.
The only way to get rid of the drone would be to remove it lol. I don't mind it at all. Sounds mean.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've put mufflers on V6s in the past myself, so I can relate.... but guys I have to say, this sounds A W F U L. ;) Just a friend trying to help a friend; It sounds like a 1987 Pontiac Grand-Am I-4 with a bad exhaust manifold. That's literally what this sounds like. It's kind of funny that money is being spent to make a brand new vehicle sound like one that's 30+ years old.

I do understand the desire to eliminate the hard 90 degree turns and crimps and awful bends in the factory exhaust. FCA did a horrendous job on the exhaust system. But, there's gotta' be a better way than the stuff in this thread.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I've put mufflers on V6s in the past myself, so I can relate.... but guys I have to say, this sounds A W F U L. ;) Just a friend trying to help a friend; It sounds like a 1987 Pontiac Grand-Am I-4 with a bad exhaust manifold. That's literally what this sounds like. It's kind of funny that money is being spent to make a brand new vehicle sound like one that's 30+ years old.

I do understand the desire to eliminate the hard 90 degree turns and crimps and awful bends in the factory exhaust. FCA did a horrendous job on the exhaust system. But, there's gotta' be a better way than the stuff in this thread.
For those looking for rear ground clearance the muffler delete is one of the better options - it maintains the mid body resonator and allows for the elimination of the drone most experience with a full new system without a resonator.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.

I agree, sounds like poop. At least the old 4.0 motor sounded good when you threw a muffler on it. This 3.6 just sounds awful.

DynoMax Exhaust

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wangler
You are correct. :)

DSC00536.JPG

For those looking for rear ground clearance the muffler delete is one of the better options - it maintains the mid body resonator and allows for the elimination of the drone most experience with a full new system without a resonator.
Sponsored