Sponsored

Removed Stock Muffler

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just took the stock muffler off today... it doesn’t sound bad... lil raspy if u keep your foot in it and the decel sounds decent as well (6sp)... I’ll order the Dyno max muffler delete after I drive it a few days... around town sounds good... I’ll check it out on the highway tomorrow rollin to work...
If you do go with the dynomax muffler can you take some vids. curious if it sounds any different compared to just no muffler. I don't think it should who knows.
Sponsored

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just removed the muffler at the clamp. Been driving it around for a bit with the family in the jeep.

I have 37's with stock gearing on a 8 speed
Hardtop with bestop sunrider

These are my observations

The exhaust at WOT is obnoxious. At highway cruising speeds there is no drone and can barely be heard over the wind and tire noise. Any pedal position over 20% for fast acceleration makes the exhaust noisy. DB Levels are not an issue however the issue for me is the pitch / tone. It sounds very "tunerish" more like a 4 cylinder than a v6. Since i have a hill/mountain that i take daily the exhaust is a bit annoying. The jeep shifts into 5th and stays around 3-3.5k rpms to keep highway speeds and it is just a lot of exhaust noise.

I am not sure if just adding a axleback dump will resolve the issue.

The wife has no issues with the noise level. Just the noise coming out of it is very unrefined in her words.

I am now looking at either the AFE RB / AFE HI Tuck / Borla Climber

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Curious to see how the new Dynamax muffler delete will work out. I hope they know how to measure the pipe and it actually fits that would be a good first step.

Bravo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0, 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega CTD, 2019 Roadglide Special, 2015 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 2019 Skidoo Summit X 165, and 2018 Skidoo Summit X 154
Mine is supposed to be delivered on the 5th... hoping it doesn’t have the same issues as the other muffler delete options

Sponsored

Talhaaziz321

First Name
Talha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Anyone know for sure if I would be able to drive around without the delete pipe for a little bit. I will be highway driving and city driving using the the engine off at stop feature. I've heard things about carbon monoxide poisoning and stuff.
Thanks

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
I installed the DynoMax muffler delete on my JLUR yesterday. No issues with installing this piece. Slip fit is tight but a little wiggle gets it on. I did use sandpaper to clean the factory pipe but other that good to go. I do have the Lisle muffler hanger tool which made it easier to get off. the hangers are a bit tough to get to. Also when separating the muffler from the rest of the system you have to wiggle it back and forth while pulling toward the back of the jeep. Not really hard just took time. I guess it took me just over half hour to swap.

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Anyone know for sure if I would be able to drive around without the delete pipe for a little bit. I will be highway driving and city driving using the the engine off at stop feature. I've heard things about carbon monoxide poisoning and stuff.
Thanks
As stated in my PM reply, I wouldn't. I think the risk isn't worth it. Look back at the stories of the FORD issue with police cruisers and their losing consciousness. Granted they are in the car for long periods of time but I don't think the health risk is worth it.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thanks
There are a few doing it - if you don’t want a muffler delete at leas have a shop weld a 90 dump on it so it directs it downward - always a good idea to get the exhaust away from an enclosed cab.

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I ran without the rear muffler for about a week on my hardtop. In terms of exhaust fumes we did not smell any with a weekend of slow 1-5 mph crawling or at a light or hwy.

I did ultimately decide to just go with an AFE rock basher. Believe it or not the AFE is quieter than the stock with the muffler removed. The AFE cannister is also slighly larger than the stock resonator.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bravo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0, 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega CTD, 2019 Roadglide Special, 2015 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 2019 Skidoo Summit X 165, and 2018 Skidoo Summit X 154
CO is odorless...

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
It's known as the "odorless/silent killer" and has been for over 85 years--

Releasing exhaust fumes DIRECTLY UNDER THE VEHICLE and pointing the NOZZLE DOWN will delay the CARBON MONOXIDE effect, but only increases the severity of it--

Anyone that does this is just DUCT TAPING A GRENADE WITH THE PIN PULLED--it's just a matter of time--

HAPPY NEW YEAR

JIMBO

Bravo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thoughts ? It looks like the end has slots so that it will slip on easier.

EFAC1384-2A7A-4D64-8435-9A8F560053BB.png
Installed mine this morning... took about 15-20 mins and zero issues...

BMoreJLU

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
Would love to hear a sound clip if you get a chance. Definitely interested in doing something similar, but can't bring myself to pull the trigger without a little more info.
Sponsored