1. DynoMax Exhaust

DynoMax Exhaust Active Member
    Peak Sponsor (Level 2)

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    2013 Jeep Wangler
    Liked:
    What was the "secret" to the removal? We found that a good ol' twist got them out.

2. RockymtnJL

RockymtnJL Member

First Name:
    Al
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Rubicon
    Liked:
    Yup twisting, swearing, and swaying the muffler back and forth a bit finally got them off! It was worth it though, about 1000 miles in and the sound has mellowed out a bit, I like it more and more.

blnewt likes this.
  3. rlaracue

rlaracue Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Rubicon
    Liked:
    I had a custom exhaust put on today which gave me the quiet rock crawler I wanted. Recall I had a Magnaflow Catback Rock Crawler system. It was throaty but had too much drone and even made my Jeep feel sluggish.

In any case after looking at just about everything I decided to replace the MF muffler (it really is a resonator) with a Borla ProXS universal muffler. 2.25"/2.25" center/offset muffler. In front of the Borla (which does not drone), I put in a 12" resonator from Vibrant.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E3VHVO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.borla.com/products/proxs_225_offsetcenter_14x425x788_muffler_part__40658.html

I kept the tailpipe section and some of the connecting pipe.

My exhaust guy tig welded most of the setup but clamped the front bit coming off the y-pipe.

I will post a video over the weekend but I can tell you the early returns are excellent. Decibels are maxing out at 74 but most of the time the Jeep stays in the 60s and gets into the 50s at idle. There is no drone, it's not loud and the car moves a bit easier IMO.

So for what it is worth if you have a capable exhaust shop near you and want a rock crawler for a daily driver this could be an option.

Parts: Borla Muffler $93, Vibrant 12" Resonator $48, Misc parts/weld material $85, Labor $240 What is missing is likely another $75 in making a custom tailpipe with bends. So all in this would be ~$540-570.

I was burned by dropping $385 (Black Friday Sale) on the MF crawler, $150 on dealer install. So $535 all in.

Had I done more research on this forum :) I would have built a system I wanted and saved over $500.

If you wanted something as quiet as stock you can go with the Vibrant quiet resonator.

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1141...PM8AG278SVS&psc=1&refRID=WQW03A2BYPM8AG278SVS

4. Bravo

Bravo Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Mini Cooper JCW, 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega CTD, 2016 HD Roadglide Special, 2015 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 2019 Skidoo Summit X 165, and 2018 Skidoo Summit X 154
    Liked:
    I didn’t bother with the hangers... removed the 4 bolts holding the hangers to the frame and dropped the muffler... 5 min job

Bravo