Sponsored

Rear defroster problems

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
The dealership tried to solder it 3 times, and the longest it lasted was 2 days. The shortest was before I was finished inspecting it, after they fixed it, at the dealership.
They gave up, and replaced the window. That was a couple of years ago. Still going strong. But, I am somewhat hesitant to use it. I'm thinking the glue, from the factory doesn't do well with the heat.
Sponsored

OP
OP

morzh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
The (interim?) end of this episode.

I brought the Jeep to the dealership Tuesday morning and picked it up only now, about 12pm Saturday.
They replaced the whole wire harness on the drivers's side (yes the Common was missing). They have not figured out what was wrong, as they found no faults in the harness itself after having it removed. Plus when disconnecting the button contact, the pad came off (as I expected, this is why I did not touch it) and they had to re-epoxy it also, same as the passender side one.
I wanted to have the harness to diagnose it myself, but they said they need to send it back for warranty purposes.

So, the silver lining is, it works (according to them) and the extended warranty paid 100% after going back and forth (I suspect that was part of the delay).

swmartin

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
This has been happening to me since I bought my Rubicon in 2018. It's now happened to me 7 times. Out of the 7 times they replaced the glass 3 times and it falls off 2-4 weeks later. It's clearly a flawed design on the 2018 and up jeeps. I've been fighting with Chrysler for months because they keep charging me deductibles. The only way they will service this as recalls is if everyone starts open Chrysler service tickets. Lets get it started. This will be my last Jeep if they don't recall it and keep giving me the run around This is my 2nd wrangler and a grand Cherokee in the past - Never had this problem with any of the others.

The best part is, when I told the Chrysler lady this is known big issue sine they released the JL, she told me she doesn't believe anything on these threads. She'll believe it when Chrysler does a recall. Great customer service over at Chrysler.

OP
OP

morzh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
This has been happening to me since I bought my Rubicon in 2018. It's now happened to me 7 times. Out of the 7 times they replaced the glass 3 times and it falls off 2-4 weeks later. It's clearly a flawed design on the 2018 and up jeeps. I've been fighting with Chrysler for months because they keep charging me deductibles. The only way they will service this as recalls is if everyone starts open Chrysler service tickets. Lets get it started. This will be my last Jeep if they don't recall it and keep giving me the run around This is my 2nd wrangler and a grand Cherokee in the past - Never had this problem with any of the others.

The best part is, when I told the Chrysler lady this is known big issue sine they released the JL, she told me she doesn't believe anything on these threads. She'll believe it when Chrysler does a recall. Great customer service over at Chrysler.
Well, let's get it started then.
Do you know the process?

I do not pay deductibles as the insurance was sold to me with the promise that if it is serviced in this dealership, they will absorb the deductible. But I'd rather they remedy it once and for all.
I have my Grand Crerokee 2009, this is not an issue with it (well, many others, but not this).
When I bought my first, a Cherokee 1992 model, this was a problem, but I was not sure if it wasn't a result of some other damage. I soldered it myself and it held for a few years, then I resoldered it again.

So, again: if you know how to start it, and I hope those who've read it and had similar issue join it, maybe we can make Chrysler to recall it.

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
The conclusion (and hopefully the end) of this story: I went to my dealership and they fixed it. Yes, for free! The extended warranty took care of it. To my question "how much I would have to pay to do it here, were it not for the extended warranty" the answer was "about $200". Well, the price I'd pay for the kit and the trouble of doing it in the winter by myself.....yes, it took 2-1/2 hrs of which 2 hrs was getting the warranty approval (I have Zurich), 10 minutes check-in and 20 minutes the repair itself. I am not going to complain.

And, yes, they do not solder, they also use metal epoxy. I guess the soldering is only possible at the factory (and they, obviously, at least at Chrysler, do not achieve stellar results in doing so). Being and electronics man myself, I think soldering would take pre-heating the whole glass pane, so not to create local stresses in the glass when soldering, and then use some soldering paste and a heat gun, to do it properly. And it would take me, with preparation and during good weather, at least as much time as it took to visit the dealership.
How is your experience with Zurich warranty coverage? I’m considering it once my 3-year basic is up.

Sponsored

OP
OP

morzh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
How is your experience with Zurich warranty coverage? I’m considering it once my 3-year basic is up.
I would noyt call it "experience" just yet.
I used it twice, both time towards the rear defroster.
One time I tried to use it but it explicitly states it does not cover leaks, so I had no case. Even though it was internal gasket to the b ody of teh car that leaked.
So read it carefully. It is not a bad insurance, and sop far I am sure I've saved maybe 500 to 700 dollars due to it. Also when you buy it through a dealer and go to that same dealer for the service, they will wave the $100 per repair deductible.
The car is nearing 4 years, so I guess this is the beginning of that time when it will want to visit the shop more and more (m,y experiwence with Jeeps so far).
Also assess your years/mileage. If it is your primary car and you exhaust your 100K miles fast, it might not pay for itself. I literally was barely useing it the first 3 years (used it 50/50 with the old car for 1/2 year and then the pandemic, so I worked from home 80% to 95% of the time; all in all I put 7K miles on it in 3 years; this will help with stretching the insurance term).

It is not the cheapes either. But up 'till now I canno say anything bad. In the next 2-3 years, as it starts the usual "Chrysler" thing, I will probably gain more experience with it.

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
I would noyt call it "experience" just yet.
I used it twice, both time towards the rear defroster.
One time I tried to use it but it explicitly states it does not cover leaks, so I had no case. Even though it was internal gasket to the b ody of teh car that leaked.
So read it carefully. It is not a bad insurance, and sop far I am sure I've saved maybe 500 to 700 dollars due to it. Also when you buy it through a dealer and go to that same dealer for the service, they will wave the $100 per repair deductible.
The car is nearing 4 years, so I guess this is the beginning of that time when it will want to visit the shop more and more (m,y experiwence with Jeeps so far).
Also assess your years/mileage. If it is your primary car and you exhaust your 100K miles fast, it might not pay for itself. I literally was barely useing it the first 3 years (used it 50/50 with the old car for 1/2 year and then the pandemic, so I worked from home 80% to 95% of the time; all in all I put 7K miles on it in 3 years; this will help with stretching the insurance term).

It is not the cheapes either. But up 'till now I canno say anything bad. In the next 2-3 years, as it starts the usual "Chrysler" thing, I will probably gain more experience with it.
Great info, thanks! I’m also considering the Mopar Max Care.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Mine has been broken for a couple of years now. Can't really see out the rear with the spare there anyway. Since I bought one of those rear view mirror camera's, I never have to look at the window anymore. Seems like it might be a better fix for those that are having issues with it.

OP
OP

morzh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Mine has been broken for a couple of years now. Can't really see out the rear with the spare there anyway. Since I bought one of those rear view mirror camera's, I never have to look at the window anymore. Seems like it might be a better fix for those that are having issues with it.
To me the cam is not a 100% sub for the rear mirror. When I try using it to back out of my fairly longh and curve driveway with a sizeable maple at the end, I end up going close to the trunk and certainly into the branches. The cam distorts the view. It is a safety device, but not a real "real view" thing, even though it does show those "directing lines". I still turn when going backm same as i always look back when changing alnes, despite having the sensors and "dead zone" indicators.

So....if it works for you, great. Myself, I want my car to have everything in order. Especially when it comes to viewing things.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I understand on wanting everything to work. The mirror cam can be set to whatever position you want and compliments the factory rear camera really well. I have a much better line of sight than I had before.

OP
OP

morzh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
I hate this but I have to append what seems to have become a recurring story and has the potential of becoming a real epopee.

The defogger broke again. It took it 3 or so months to separate again, but I noticed it when I needed it, which is in November. The dealership has 2 months wait to take any service in, and the Zurich extended wareranty is unreacheable. My car has spend 2 days in the dealership which was supposed to clear it with Zurtich but did not, and so they were unprepared. I am picking it up unrepaired only to bring it back later. Each time it takes me 1/2 day off work, and so it does my wife who has to drive me.
And what's worse, the rear glass is defective, as the contacts are part of it. But they are not willing to replace the glass and only want the contact re-attached, which will fall of in 1/2 year max.

Other crappy parts have been detected: while driving there yesterday, my visor fell out. This left pivot pin simply fell out of the socket.

What a piece of crap, pardon my French.

I have been a proponent and a follower of "buy American". Despirte owning 2 Jeeps before. I thought that maybe Rubicon, the flagman and a very expensive truck, would be built at least half-right. But it is not.
Owning any Chrysler product is the best cure of stupid idealism and "buy American" folly.

Buy What Is Good! We, Amnericans, make crap, and more so with each passing year.

PS. And, yes. I-Phone is built in China.
Sponsored