First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
US Army
Like Ive post on a different thread. @JeepCares Please let FCA know about the issue, this problem is all about the AIR/FUEL RATIO, the engine is running too lean that's why when the engine heats up to normal operating temperatures (between 200-220 degree) the lean mixture burns faster than it should at low rpms cause not enough fuel is getting into the cylinders. The air/fuel ratio mixtures has to be updated to a little richer ratio mixture and the problem will be solved, but JL Owners we will have to sacrifice a bit of mpg.
@JeepCares I wouldn’t mind sacrificing a few MPGs for a proper tune
Sponsored

thiskneeguy

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Like Ive post on a different thread. @JeepCares Please let FCA know about the issue, this problem is all about the AIR/FUEL RATIO, the engine is running too lean that's why when the engine heats up to normal operating temperatures (between 200-220 degree) the lean mixture burns faster than it should at low rpms cause not enough fuel is getting into the cylinders. The air/fuel ratio mixtures has to be updated to a little richer ratio mixture and the problem will be solved, but JL Owners we will have to sacrifice a bit of mpg.
This @JeepCares

NYknowledge

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
My 2018 JLS Sport S 6 Speed has been doing the same thing. Was your dealer able to identify and fix the issue?
Unfortunately no resolve. I was told by my dealership that all wranglers make the noise. They said they determined this because a service tech drove 2 brand new Wranglers and they made the same sound....I just laughed and walked away

jkill

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I finally gave-up. I had the JL for 18 months and took it to many dealerships and always got the same answers... "they all do that" or "don't know what you are talking about" , "could not replicate".

This has got to be the worst running engine I have ever driven in my 48 years and about 20 vehicles. Shame on Jeep for not addressing their loyal customer complaints. To make matters worse the dealers just stick their head in the sand with their "nothing to see here" attitude.

It's even worse for Jeep Corporate, because they know they have a problem and and just keep telling people to take it to the dealers to address a problem that the dealers "could not replicate".

I just took a bath and traded it in.

I will never buy another Jeep and this is coming from someone who has had 6 and usually always have one as an extra (fun) vehicle.

Very disappointed customer. Signing off! -J-

Sponsored

CherryWrangler

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude
mine started making the whistling/rattling noise recently. Have 8k miles on it, and can hear the noise when in any gear and accelerate.

Also, I have noticed that the shifting gears is rough and it won't go above 6th gear (automatic). can anyone relate to this?

Going back to the shop on Tuesday.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
mine started making the whistling/rattling noise recently. Have 8k miles on it, and can hear the noise when in any gear and accelerate.

Also, I have noticed that the shifting gears is rough and it won't go above 6th gear (automatic). can anyone relate to this?

Going back to the shop on Tuesday.
Hi CherryWrangler,
I'm sorry to hear that you are having these concerns. Feel free to send us a private message if you would like additional assistance while your vehicle is being serviced.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Took mine in today. This was response when returned. Service manager heard it on drive with me. Two techs didn't hear it...but then said it's making sound as designed. My wife hears it, son hears it, srvc manager heard it and was the one who told me it's knock.

For the record, it isn't random. It is predictable and can be reproduced on demand through the entire gear range.

Oh well. It's been in twice now for this. I'm not taking it back. If something happens they have record.

20200217_161827.jpg

CZ 75

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Every quality survey I get I mention this issue. They call me. I tell FCA their 3.6 has a detonation problem. They say see the dealer. Dealer says its normal.

I asked for an extended warranty since theres no fix. FCA said no, see the dealer.

Spin, deny, stonewall, the FCA way.

Sponsored

jkill

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Sell it! That's what I did.

They will never fix it. If enough people dump their Jeeps maybe they will get the message!

thiskneeguy

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Took mine in today. This was response when returned. Service manager heard it on drive with me. Two techs didn't hear it...but then said it's making sound as designed. My wife hears it, son hears it, srvc manager heard it and was the one who told me it's knock.

For the record, it isn't random. It is predictable and can be reproduced on demand through the entire gear range.

Oh well. It's been in twice now for this. I'm not taking it back. If something happens they have record.

20200217_161827.jpg
My dealer kept it for a week and at the end said this exact same thing. Could not replicate the noise. I mean couldn't someone just perform a search of all their service calls to see what comes up for customers reporting "engine noise" or "knocking"? I'm sure that would return a whole ton of results. If this problem ends up damaging these engines over time I smell a giant class action lawsuit against FCA on the horizon.

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer kept it for a week and at the end said this exact same thing. Could not replicate the noise. I mean couldn't someone just perform a search of all their service calls to see what comes up for customers reporting "engine noise" or "knocking"? I'm sure that would return a whole ton of results. If this problem ends up damaging these engines over time I smell a giant class action lawsuit against FCA on the horizon.
I wish they would at least say "we hear it, it's just the engine and there's nothing at this time that can be done"

Honestly though, saying they can't hear it is a lie. Out and out lie.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi thiskneeguy,
I understand that this might not be the service result you were looking for. Please know that our team relies on the eyes of our dealers, and must therefore stand by their diagnosis. If you choose to get a second opinion on this matter, feel free to send our team a private message for additional support.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Mine does it too fwiw.... I have a manual trans and I hear it when shifting from 1-2. I really can't tell if it's clutch chatter since (from what I hear) these JL's have a twin disc clutch.
Sponsored