Rattling upon acceleration

J&K_Sting_Gray

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport, 1995 Red YJ, 2009 Thunder Gray Cadillac CTS-V
We have the same pinging sound on our 2018 JLU automatic. We just picked it up from the dealership this afternoon. It's the 3rd time we have brought it to Jeeps attention over the past year. They claim they have not been able to hear the noise during test drives and don't know what it could be. Today they suggested using higher octane fuel which after reading all these posts leads me to believe that they are aware of the issue and instead of addressing it they are now recommending that owners use higher octane fuel. Based on other posts it seems like Jeep needs to correct the tune. For now we will try using a higher octane fuel to see if that helps.
Sponsored

BriBerk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU Granite Crystal (delivery April 2018)
Occupation
Law Enforcement
We have the same pinging sound on our 2018 JLU automatic. We just picked it up from the dealership this afternoon. It's the 3rd time we have brought it to Jeeps attention over the past year. They claim they have not been able to hear the noise during test drives and don't know what it could be. Today they suggested using higher octane fuel which after reading all these posts leads me to believe that they are aware of the issue and instead of addressing it they are now recommending that owners use higher octane fuel. Based on other posts it seems like Jeep needs to correct the tune. For now we will try using a higher octane fuel to see if that helps.

It is the same story for me and just about everyone else on the thread. I brought in video and posted it hear. The dealer acknowledged that they hearD the knocking when I first brought it in. I have been to the dealer several times. The first thing they did was have me try premium gas, then they “cleaned” the engine”, then it went back to premium gas and then they had the Jeep for 2 weeks working with the FCA engineers and they said they could never duplicate it. I have been using Premium ever since, it is mitigated, but not gone. Everything I read in the threads points to a tuning issue that FCA wont acknowledge due to the EPA ratings.

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Local Government Official
I have 31,000 miles on mine now and I haven't heard mine do it in a while, but I always run premium now.

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
That's great and all, but brand new 40k vehicles shouldn't pre detonate.

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Several of us have thought of this, but if you look back in the thread, those of us with catch cans are still having this happen from time to time.

Sponsored

Monkey_Slap

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU, Mojito
Vehicle Showcase
I've been having the same / similar problem with my 2018 JLU. Happens when accelerating from 1k rpm. It makes an engine clunk/clink sound, then a gurgling / rattling sound for a few seconds. Thought it was related to changing into 2nd or 3rd gear, but I get it to happen without changing gears and just letting off the gas down to 1k rpm then accelerating from there. Took it into the dealer a few times like everyone else and they say "cannot reproduce or hear it". I seem to be able to mostly avoid the noise if I switch gears quicker staying at higher rpms. I agree that it doesn't sound like a good sound, I've owned multiple manual transmission vehicles and never had a similar sound. Hope to see this issue resolved at some point...

NCSUSTATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
I've been having the same / similar problem with my 2018 JLU. Happens when accelerating from 1k rpm. It makes an engine clunk/clink sound, then a gurgling / rattling sound for a few seconds. Thought it was related to changing into 2nd or 3rd gear, but I get it to happen without changing gears and just letting off the gas down to 1k rpm then accelerating from there. Took it into the dealer a few times like everyone else and they say "cannot reproduce or hear it". I seem to be able to mostly avoid the noise if I switch gears quicker staying at higher rpms. I agree that it doesn't sound like a good sound, I've owned multiple manual transmission vehicles and never had a similar sound. Hope to see this issue resolved at some point...
Yeah, mine does it, since I bought it. I hear it every day because I park in a parking garage, which has a highwalled entry ramp that magnifies the sound. I’ve heard the exact same sound in other manual transmission vehicles over the years, always when trying to pull at a low rpm in too high a gear. If i try climb the ramp in 2nd it rattles, but won’t rattle in 1st. I can understand why it is hard to diagnose because it sounds more ‘rattley‘ than a traditional engine knock. Fyi @JeepCares

traxtion

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Manual Rubicon
Made an account so I could contribute to this thread... I bought my 2019 manual JL last July and noticed the noise when accelerating at low to medium speeds. Found this forum and have been messing with gas selection to solve the problem. 89 Octane Shell almost entirely mitigates the noise, though I do hear the occasional rattle on warm days. 93 Shell V Power has completely eliminated the noise, even on 88 degree days in DC.

The noise does drive me absolutely crazy, so I plan to bring it in soon. Assuming I won't have much luck, and we're all waiting on tuning updates that may or may not come. In the mean time, I'll be buying 87 for long highway drives and 93 when I'm driving for pleasure.

J&K_Sting_Gray

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport, 1995 Red YJ, 2009 Thunder Gray Cadillac CTS-V
So we tried switching to 91 since the dealer was zero help with the issue. It has helped, but with the warmer weather lately we have noticed it a few times. The higher octane has had a positive affect overall. Seems to be common and I'm sure with all the complaints the dealers and Jeep are aware of the issue. It's frustrating that they pretend it doesn't exist.

opiop

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed Bikini Pearl
Occupation
Software Developer
My 2020 MT 3.6 with 12k miles on it also has started making the weird noise everyone is talking about in this thread. Seems to happen randomly in between shifts (most commonly from 2nd to 3rd gear), but I can also reproduce the sound when giving it a decent bit of gas in 3rd grade at around 25-30mph. Whenever the engine is under load it will rattle really quick and then stop. Sometimes it also rattles after I let off the gas.

Very disappointed with my new JL so far. I love the thing and have owned a few Wranglers, but it's already had a couple issues that I'll be taking it into the dealership next week for:

1. I have the soft top and one of my rear windows constantly sags. Doesn't matter what I do, the top window falls off the channel and sags.

2. My fuel gauge stops working for days at a time and just reads empty (even after I completely fill it up!).

3. I started getting a warning about needing to service my stop/start system, although that went away after I took my doors off a few days ago for the nice weather. Hoping that my door wiring harness isn't messed up.

4. The recent safety recall for the clutch where the pressure plate may explode and cut fuel lines, potentially leading to a fire.

5. Now this knock issue.

I had a 2001 Wrangler with 110k miles on it before the JL that had no issues besides being rusty. I even flipped the TJ onto it's side at one point, never had any issues with it.

I'm very worried about the longtime reliability of my JL. It wouldn't be so bad if the dealerships/Jeep would actually figure out what's going on and fix the issues we're having. I'd just suck it up, buy an extended warranty and be happy knowing that I can keep my JL for a long time without needing to worry about my engine blowing up due to these knock issues. But can't do that since Jeep hasn't fixed this issue even though people here have been talking about it since the launch of the JL!

Anyway, done with my rant. Love my Wrangler but it's frustrating to have so many issues on a nearly brand new vehicle. @JeepCares, can I document my dealership experience with you? Thanks!
Sponsored