Fiumicino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR 2.0L
Clubs

What did you ultimately conclude about possibly needing an aftermarket track bar with your AEV suspension?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

What did you ultimately conclude about possibly needing an aftermarket track bar with your AEV suspension?
I'm still on their unmodified DualSport XP suspension (3" now due to all of the weight that I've added), so there hasn't been a need to tweak the track bar.

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JKURD AEV JL370; 2014 GC Overland Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
John: how’s your daily drive on the 3”? I’m still considering. We were hitting the bump stops frequently in Moab, but there were 3 of us and camping gear (usually it’s just 2 of us). I’ve been driving the Jeep more than I thought I would. Still uncertain how much firmer it would be on the streets.

One of the CDJ dealers we were with had his crew change of his springs for different outings. That’s the way to do it if you can swing it. If I had a lift, I’d probably do that same.

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

John: how’s your daily drive on the 3”? I’m still considering. We were hitting the bump stops frequently in Moab, but there were 3 of us and camping gear (usually it’s just 2 of us). I’ve been driving the Jeep more than I thought I would. Still uncertain how much firmer it would be on the streets.

One of the CDJ dealers we were with had his crew change of his springs for different outings. That’s the way to do it if you can swing it. If I had a lift, I’d probably do that same.
It was initially great on the 2.5" springs. At some point, however, it became obvious that we had added too much weight for them. We were hitting the bump stops lots and bumps in curves at 85+ were pretty damn frightening. Way too much weight for those.

The drive now is back to original. Exceptional for a Wrangler.

Note that we have Goose Gear that's fully-loaded at all times. That lets us do spur of the moment camping when my wife gets that idea on some random weekday where I don't have any additional meetings.

I would not get the 3" springs if you're not close to GVWR. There was an unmodified JLUR classic at the AEV event on the dunes in Oregon with those springs. Lots and lots of comments from them and their passengers about it beating the crap out of them.

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JKURD AEV JL370; 2014 GC Overland Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
It was initially great on the 2.5" springs. At some point, however, it became obvious that we had added too much weight for them. We were hitting the bump stops lots and bumps in curves at 85+ were pretty damn frightening. Way too much weight for those.

The drive now is back to original. Exceptional for a Wrangler.

Note that we have Goose Gear that's fully-loaded at all times. That lets us do spur of the moment camping when my wife gets that idea on some random weekday where I don't have any additional meetings.

I would not get the 3" springs if you're not close to GVWR. There was an unmodified JLUR classic at the AEV event on the dunes in Oregon with those springs. Lots and lots of comments from them and their passengers about it beating the crap out of them.
With my GF and I in the car, full diesel tank, 5 gallons in the extra tank, and nothing else, I am at GVWR almost to the pound. Then we add the gear. Is that close enough for those springs? I can do 85 and I don’t hit the bump stops unless I’m off-roading. Thanks for the feedback.

Sponsored

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
Sorry, I didn't measure it. I've subsequently added a lot of weight and installed their 3" HD springs.

AEV should be able to give you those measurements.
Here is the height to my roof (with the softtop on) and height to rear fender of my AEV370 build with KM3s for reference
Jeep Wrangler JL Ratbert's AEV JL370 JLURD Build Thread 20230514_140250

Jeep Wrangler JL Ratbert's AEV JL370 JLURD Build Thread 20230514_140304

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
I'm still on their unmodified DualSport XP suspension (3" now due to all of the weight that I've added), so there hasn't been a need to tweak the track bar.
On mine, I left the stock rear bar alone with the AEV bracket. As you can see its nice and parallel and arcs smoothly through the full suspension cycle
Jeep Wrangler JL Ratbert's AEV JL370 JLURD Build Thread 20230514_140118

On the front, my axle was slightly off center so I had a Yeti XD bar installed (I'm OCD)

Jeep Wrangler JL Ratbert's AEV JL370 JLURD Build Thread 20230514_140026

@Ratbert, it will be interesting how the stock arms and steering components last for you, as you clearly wheel your rig to its capabilities.

As I'm enjoying more and more the rock crawling aspects, I've pulled the trigger to add Teraflex IR control arms, Steersmarts drag link and tie rod, high tuck exhaust (MBRP), artec front and rear axle truss system and MC undercoat skidplate system and Tom Woods DS front/rear (damaged the factory ones last outing). Install scheduled for June and will share feedback.

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

With my GF and I in the car, full diesel tank, 5 gallons in the extra tank, and nothing else, I am at GVWR almost to the pound. Then we add the gear. Is that close enough for those springs? I can do 85 and I don’t hit the bump stops unless I’m off-roading. Thanks for the feedback.
I really don't know. Mine is quite a bit heavier than that.

AEV would be the experts in that arena.

EpochTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

On mine, I left the stock rear bar alone with the AEV bracket. As you can see its nice and parallel and arcs smoothly through the full suspension cycle

On the front, my axle was slightly off center so I had a Yeti XD bar installed (I'm OCD)

@Ratbert, it will be interesting how the stock arms and steering components last for you, as you clearly wheel your rig to its capabilities.

As I'm enjoying more and more the rock crawling aspects, I've pulled the trigger to add Teraflex IR control arms, Steersmarts drag link and tie rod, high tuck exhaust (MBRP), artec front and rear axle truss system and MC undercoat skidplate system and Tom Woods DS front/rear (damaged the factory ones last outing). Install scheduled for June and will share feedback.
Will you leave the AEV geometry brackets installed once you do the Terraflex arms?

I run the AEV lift with 37s on a 21 JLUR and ran it with stock arms and a Steersmarts trackbar for the first year.

I then added in Metalclock adjustable arms and other Steersmarts parts and removed the brackets.

It daily drove much better with the AEV brackets even after adjusting the Metalcloak arms and doing an alignment. The off road isnt noticeably better without the brackets and I never had a problem getting the brackets hung up on rocks.

I'm putting the AEV brackets back on this week.

Sponsored

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
Will you leave the AEV geometry brackets installed once you do the Terraflex arms?

I run the AEV lift with 37s on a 21 JLUR and ran it with stock arms and a Steersmarts trackbar for the first year.

I then added in Metalclock adjustable arms and other Steersmarts parts and removed the brackets.

It daily drove much better with the AEV brackets even after adjusting the Metalcloak arms and doing an alignment. The off road isnt noticeably better without the brackets and I never had a problem getting the brackets hung up on rocks.

I'm putting the AEV brackets back on this week.
Hi,

Funny you mention this. I was going back and forth on this and will absolutely be keeping my AEV drop brackets for the reasons you mention.

I'm swapping to the teraflex IR arms primarily to increase castor (currently at 4.1), center the axles and remove the bind I get with the stock arms on full flexy situations

The drop brackets keep my stock front lcas practically parallel which I want to maintain as shown here:
Jeep Wrangler JL Ratbert's AEV JL370 JLURD Build Thread 20230321_155059

Agree, I've never had issues with the drop brackets even on some silly situations I've put the jeep through. When they catch they just slide over.

Figure this new setup will give good handling, good ride and good offroad.

@Ratbert: apologies for the tangent on your thread.

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L, 2021 JL 392
@Ratbert i saw one of your posts a few pages back and someone else remarked that the roof rack cross bar made a lot of noise. I currently have a Thule rain-gutter mounted rack with the SOT and the howling is terrible - unless I wrap a bungee cord around the cross-bar. Something about wrapping the crossbar with a bungee (or similar) disrupts the airflow that causes the howling.

Eventually, I want to get mine like yours with the AEV 3” lift and bumpers and the metalcloak rack. That’s a very nice setup you have!

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

@Ratbert i saw one of your posts a few pages back and someone else remarked that the roof rack cross bar made a lot of noise. I currently have a Thule rain-gutter mounted rack with the SOT and the howling is terrible - unless I wrap a bungee cord around the cross-bar. Something about wrapping the crossbar with a bungee (or similar) disrupts the airflow that causes the howling.

Eventually, I want to get mine like yours with the AEV 3” lift and bumpers and the metalcloak rack. That’s a very nice setup you have!
I have the low-profile cross bars. It's a little noisy, but not bad.

Note that you might get a whistle at certain speeds from where the long bars mount to the front bar up top. I fixed that by filling the gaps with Sugru.

it's an extremely durable and well-built rack. If you see it next to a Gobi rack the Gobi looks pretty damn wimpy in comparison.

just a heads-up that you'll have to flip it back when (not if, when) you have your windshield replaced.
Sponsored