Nice write up, I am running most of the parts you are also. Let me know how that muffler delete works. I was suppose to go up there like 4 weeks back and as always something comes up and I had to cancel.Finally have a moment to catch up after running the Rubicon last weekend and wanted to share the after action report.
So first things first, the Rubicon was/is harder now than it was when i did it last time in my JKUR. As 40's appear to have become the new 37's the trail is changing accordingly and the emphasis on good spotters and better lines is much more important.
So top three positives on the build -
- Suspension worked very well, no issues and it handled getting beat up like a champ
- Ran tires at 10 PSI, and as usual the BFG MT's + Hutchinson beadlocks had no issues on the rocks
- The diesel does exactly what i want it to, dream to drive on the freeway, and in 4l it crawls everything / anything with no problems
Top things i wish i had done differently / need to fix -
- Should have started with 39's or legit 38's (vs BFG 37's which are likely closer to 36's) as i needed the extra height as i am HEAVY on this build
- I need to see if I can shoehorn a PSC hydraulic steering system in the engine bay. It was literally impossible to turn when in 4l on the rocks (and even worse with front lockers on)
- The AFE exhaust i chose was a bad decision as i pinched it 60% of the way shut (no surprise based on how far it sticks out). This pinch cost me 2mpg on the way home, which sucks with $7/gallon diesel in CA
- This now being replaced by this one - https://afepower.com/afe-power-49-3...ainless-steel-hi-tuck-dpf-back-exhaust-system
- On the exit out of Rubicon springs heading into Cadillac hill (which is likely 25+ degrees vertical) the diesel "hiccuped" and i lost all momentum. Not exactly sure what that was and it has only happened once, but that would really suck if it happened somewhere i cant stop.
The diesel fill problem was a major PITA on a 2k mi road trip, so it's going back into the dealership for that and i suspect they will replace the entire gas tank this time.
All in all, this thing is a beast and I'm really close to being "done" on it. Overall, i would give it a B+ as the issues i had are of my own making - not that anything broke.
Hope this helps others as they navigate their JLURD builds
thanks RM.Nice write up, I am running most of the parts you are also. Let me know how that muffler delete works. I was suppose to go up there like 4 weeks back and as always something comes up and I had to cancel.