Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392XR AEV JL370
Build Thread
Link
All fantastic things to consider, Jason. Thank you for sharing all of this knowledge with us.

After reading all of this, and considering my usage, I probably WON’T end up doing it. I would only do the 30w on my OEM Rubi hood if I did it. Jason’s points are spot on; so this just fell to the bottom of my list.

And although I don’t think I need a second battery for my needs, I completely forgot about the potential to mount my ARB twin (that I still need to buy; anyone need a new-in-box single? I have one for sale!) under the rear cargo floor. Other than my AEV shaker syphon and my Jack stand (which can be moved under the dash), I dont really need that space. Thanks for that reminder Jason; I’ll check out the setup for there. It would be nice to have all of that room for my crazy ARB Pressure Control into Airbags/Kraken-like setup I am going to consider.
Underseat doesn't make sense with the AAL rear cubby setup. They have a remote kit that mounts on the rear driver's side corner of the tub, which moves the ARB intakes up to the side of the cargo area for pulling cooler air, and has provisions for air chuck, voltage meter, 12V plug (for fridge), and 12V fuse block for other power needs.

ARB pressure control could be mounted to the rear cubby mount easily... I'd consider reliability of that device before I integrated it into my setup, personally, since it is new-ish to the market and it is one more point of failure. I enjoy the K.I.S.S. mantra. I also use my Jeep to get away from screens, so I appreciate having a setup that doesn't require interacting with my iPhone.

Having the air chuck in the rear is awesome, since that's normally where people keep their air up kits, and you can leave door (except tailgate) closed. Kraken's exact setup wouldn't work, but there are other 4-tire air up solutions that would work just fine (MORRFlate).
Sponsored

OP
OP
bobholthaus

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JKURD AEV JL370; 2014 GC Overland Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Just got back from the Lockhart Basin AEV outing at EJS, and I love my Tazer. Here are a couple of reasons why:

1. I couldon’t have paddle shifters without it. And I swear those were the greatest things both for rock crawling in Moab, and for trailering the small RV we rented through the mountains from Denver to Moab.

2. There is a feature called Rock Crawl that let me use a cruise button to hold the brakes. I used that a lot in Moab.

3. When you don’t want to hold the brakes with a cruise button, you can push the brake pedal to the floor and it will lock the brakes. This is a feature I use at almost every single stoplight. First gear on a diesel with 4.56s has the Jeep “pulling” at every light. It’s nice to let my foot off the brake (it auto cancels as soon as I touch the gas pedal).

4. This was my favorite feature (other than paddle shifters and cancelling of the auto start-stop feature): since I didn’t have my ARB installed, we aired up each day at a great gas station we found in Moab (that evidently no one else knew about as there was not a single person at their air pumps in the 4 days we used it). You can use Tire Fill mode on the Tazer and set a PSI you want, so 33 for my front 37s (as spec’d by AEV). The individual blinker at each tire blinks slowly if you’re under filled, and rapidly if overfilled, and goes solid when at the level you’ve chosen. So, at the gas station, which had a very robust system, I’d set the lights, hold the chuck on one single time under the light went solid, and stop. No start-stop-check-the-pressure-start again shenanigans. Just a one time east tire exactly where I want the pressure. It’s simple, but damn was that a feature I enjoyed. Saved a bunch of time. I’m not sure if I’ll use that with my on board air system, but maybe. You can use it for airing down too. It’s really helpful in those moments when you’re airing up and down.

There are other features I like, but these are my top four. We did use the drag-the-inside-tire trick (That’s broncos have) on one trail, and it worked, but I don’t need to turn that tightly that often, but if you’re someone that does, that’s a handy feature. Also, the rear-camera-on-with-blinker, considering that I have the AEV fuel caddy, is a feature I can no longer live without.

Last edited:

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW GSA, Harley RG, GC Summit Reserve, JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Work? What's that?
I had thought I wanted the Tazer for my 2020. It was ordered and came in defective. The shop that I was using to install everything for me (I am all thumbs), warned me against them, but I don't remember the reasons. Yes, the features are really cool, when they work. How many people miss the days when you got a CJ-5 or 7 and we didn't have any of these features that you now can get on a factory Rubicon? The standard Rubicon is awesome. The AEV build is glorious. Maybe my cheapskate wife (whom I love) is wearing off on me. LOL

OP
OP
bobholthaus

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Moderators: thank you for the deletion of the bullying banter in this thread. I appreciate that.

For those of you following or any whom are new to this thread: If there are any posts that seem like some other posts are missing, this is why.

@Pissed Boomer thanks again for the support.

Happy Easter to you all.

OP
OP
bobholthaus

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Hello everyone: I haven’t posted in awhile. The Jeep has been awesome, I have no complaints. I do get a check engine light from time to time, but they go away. I’m about to turn 7000 miles and my oil is at 8% left so I’ll have it in the shop shortly.

I put my soft top on this weekend and love it. Man is it easier than my JK top. Jeep has done a nice job engineering these things. I ordered the OEM window storage bag, which is needed.

I did get my Rhino Platform put on in the last month or so; it was fitted for my JK so I had to do some drilling but it wasn’t a big deal. The entire backbone install was more painful than I remember, but we got it done. If I have a pic with it on, I’ll post it.

Ordered a JTOP sunrider top today in gray. As it heats up in St. Louis, that will be a welcome relief.

I can’t seem to get the last 2-3 gallons out of my AEV Fuel Caddy, so I’m going to order a second cap for it and I’ll going to add a quick release fuel line to it, and a quick release air pressure cap, so that when I’m not using it, I can pressurize the caddy and have the fuel come out more easily. Any thoughts on that? Issues? I’ll run the regular cap on it for everyday use. But the shaker siphons isn’t my friend and I want that last fuel out for the weight savings and so that it doesn’t go bad (I did use Stabil for Diesel before I put it in). I’d love some comments or thoughts on my plan. I will run a length of hose on the new cap on the inside of the tank so that it should reach the lower points in the caddy.

I still need to put on my Rigid 360 ditch lights. I need to order my Tuffy Security Enclosure. And I think I’m going to go with the Cascadia 4x4 Solar panel for the hood.

Oh, and ALL of my diff cover bolts were loose after overlanding in Moab. My rear started dripping in my garage so I used blue loctite on each one and torqued them to spec.

I hope you’re all doing well. Happy Mother’s Day to all of the mom and wives and co-parents who make our lives more pleasant.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Earl JLURD AEV JL370 Build IMG_7861

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Earl JLURD AEV JL370 Build IMG_7863

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Earl JLURD AEV JL370 Build IMG_7875

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Earl JLURD AEV JL370 Build IMG_7877

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
bobholthaus

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Finally installed my Rigid 360 A Pillar Driving lights tonight. The AEV 7000s are so bright, these don’t do much. I aimed them out to the edge of the light cannons, so they are true “ditch lights” for me, hopefully will catch a deer before I hit it. I wired the amber backlight to Aux 3, so it will go on with the ignition. It’s disappointingly dim; it is what it is. The Rigid Mounts are super low profile, and wiring under the cowl couldn’t be easier. Jeep did those right!

IMG_8545.jpeg

IMG_8547.jpeg

70752493523__B721BE34-3F57-4C62-B18E-74A37376C29E.jpeg

IMG_8550.jpeg

IMG_8551.jpeg

IMG_8553.jpeg

IMG_8552.jpeg

OP
OP
bobholthaus

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
I added a Tuffy trunk that I need to do a write up on here. It’s so flimsy compared to the one in my JK. I added a rubber mat to the top, and some aluminum tie down pieces I bought from Diabolical (I have 2 more coming). My ARB 37 fits under it though (barely), and for that I am thankful.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Earl JLURD AEV JL370 Build 70736193882__B5390C3F-79CD-4318-B798-A4C70251BF11

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Earl JLURD AEV JL370 Build IMG_8305

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Earl JLURD AEV JL370 Build IMG_8304

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Earl JLURD AEV JL370 Build IMG_8244

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Earl JLURD AEV JL370 Build IMG_8243

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Earl JLURD AEV JL370 Build IMG_8242

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Earl JLURD AEV JL370 Build IMG_8241

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Earl JLURD AEV JL370 Build IMG_8209

OP
OP
bobholthaus

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
I couldn’t get most of the fuel out of my ARB fuel caddy; I don’t like the shaker siphon. So I bought this thing. It sounds loud in the video, but it’s not. You could have a normal conversation next to it. Got it on Amazon HERE. highly recommend if you have a fuel caddy.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I couldn’t get most of the fuel out of my ARB fuel caddy; I don’t like the shaker siphon. So I bought this thing. It sounds loud in the video, but it’s not. You could have a normal conversation next to it. Got it on Amazon HERE. highly recommend if you have a fuel caddy.

Have you been in a scenario where the extra fuel was required? Trips to the Arctic or similar would require it, but our excursions are, so far, closer to fuel stations. We're using it as a non-potable water source.

OP
OP
bobholthaus

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
John: as you had mentioned, I may or may not ever need it. But just like insurance, it’s nice to know it’s back there. I won’t leave it filled except on longer road trips; I’ve definitely run my tank closer to E than I’ve been comfortable with in the past. So, if I was doing the AEV build again, I probably wouldn’t buy it (remember that I tried but they wanted to charge me to remove it), but since it’s there, I will use it from time to time.

Also, if I end up buying a diesel tent heater, I don’t have to carry an extra can of fuel for that. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Sponsored