Random Service Axle Locker System

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Anybody else have an issue with "Service Axle Locker System" warning coming on then off after a few seconds?

Mostly happens while off-roading of uneven terrain, but lately it shows up sometimes in 2Hi when staring out on streets.

Took it to the dealer and they cleared the stored codes and went through the checklist, but didn't solve the issue. I'm taking it back next week but i'm not hopeful they will find it :(
If I could reliably reproduce the issue maybe they could dig in deeper.

Anybody know of any service bulletins that might relate this this?

20190805_180104-jpg.jpg
They have not been able to fix my jeep. I am curious do you have the four-cylinder turbo or the six cylinder? I’m trying to determine if they offer me a lemon law new Jeep if this is only isolated to the four-cylinder’s. Not that the locker issue is related to the cylinders in your car but the four-cylinder is manufactured in Italy whether as the six-cylinder is manufactured in Mexico. It could be an assembly problem.
Sponsored

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I also noticed incline and in particular with my passenger front wheel elevated SERVICE AXLE LOCKER SYSTEM came on. I think you’re getting somewhere. Mine is back for round 2!! Rear axle and actuator replaced. Then when I picked it up it failed again. So it’s back for round 2. They also found my front actuator pins were all lose. Will share with my tech. TY for posting. Star case being opened today as well as added to my existing case opened.
They have not been able to fix my jeep. I am curious do you have the four-cylinder turbo or the six cylinder? I’m trying to determine if they offer me a lemon law new Jeep if this is only isolated to the four-cylinder’s. Not that the locker issue is related to the cylinders in your car but the four-cylinder is manufactured in Italy whether as the six-cylinder is manufactured in Mexico. It could be an assembly problem.

OP
OP
99mhz

99mhz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 door Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
Hi @SJSRubicon Sorry to hear you are having these issues :( I have the V6 BTW. They changed my drive train control module and that fixed if for about a year, but now its starting to act up again. I put a Z Locker OEM on the rear a while ago, but still see the error, so trying on the front now. Waiting to see.
Someday I'll give up on all this nonsense and just put in air lockers :CWL:

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Hi @SJSRubicon Sorry to hear you are having these issues :( I have the V6 BTW. They changed my drive train control module and that fixed if for about a year, but now its starting to act up again. I put a Z Locker OEM on the rear a while ago, but still see the error, so trying on the front now. Waiting to see.
Someday I'll give up on all this nonsense and just put in air lockers :CWL:
OMGosh what pain this is. You would think Jeep would put pressure on Dana to get the dang sensors fixed. I hear the Dana axles are on the new Broncos too, but I don’t have first hand knowledge of that. If so then with Ford Chrysler team up to get down on them hopefully clean up their acts. You’d think Jeep would rather be installing new mods on Jeeps and making revenue than replacing axles on new ones under warranty. .

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Update: after 18 days; both axles and actuators replaced along with the wiring harness; my Jeep is back online. Hoping for all future Jeeps, FCA works this out with Dana and gets this straightened out.

Sponsored

jhmartin

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Clubs

Latest for me, they replaced the front diff wiring harness (68320353AF) and everything seems to be working now.

They also said they found a broken wire in the old one.

Last edited:

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Latest for me, they replaced the front diff wiring harness (68320353AF) and everything seems to be working now.
Seems to be the wiring harness is the bad egg in all this. So silly FCA spending all that money and changing axles and actuators first with out doing continuity checks electrically first.

Ryan4xe

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
Seems to be the wiring harness is the bad egg in all this. So silly FCA spending all that money and changing axles and actuators first with out doing continuity checks electrically first.

mind sharing how long they had it in the shop? I’m assuming a couple of hours, but as a born-again Jeep enthusiast I’m now remembering the many “needs” my 96’ Wrangler had back then.

I got my Rubicon 4xe today, 28 miles and the locker service notice shows up. 🙅🏻‍♂️

jhmartin

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Clubs

mind sharing how long they had it in the shop? I’m assuming a couple of hours, but as a born-again Jeep enthusiast I’m now remembering the many “needs” my 96’ Wrangler had back then.

I got my Rubicon 4xe today, 28 miles and the locker service notice shows up. 🙅🏻‍♂️
Mine was 1 day, then back home for the part for a week, then back in the shop for 2 days.

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon

18 days. First was rear axle assembly replacement. Then actuator. Then diagnosis front end assembly then front actuator. Still throwing dash alerts finally wiring harness. I got to 2097 before mine did it. I literally cannot believe the poor quality that Jeep is delivering. It blows my mind that they have such a fantastic product that’s so well loved that they won’t spend the time to do the quality checks on these vehicles. I am 12 days from the lemon law if this problem kicks up again. However they did not do an alignment on my vehicle and now my vehicle is very Squirrley since I got it back. Having trouble holding it in the lanes over 60 miles an hour. It drifts to the right as well around 45 to 55 miles an hour.
I am so sorry you are experiencing this. Don’t let them BS you that you’re the only one they heard off. Until we all complain on nhsta.gov website they will keep churning poor quality components.

few hours in the shop?!?! That’s a joke. This isn’t Toyota or Subaru where you wait in the lounge watching tv. Heck no they send you home. I expect them aligning my car to take at least 3 to 4 days. Thank the goodness I kept my daily driver at the Subaru. 25,000 miles and not one problem. It’s Japanese, I work for the Japanese too, and it’s all about quality and customer satisfaction. Sadly cannot say this about American made Jeep products.

Sponsored

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
FYI A guy who used to work at Toyota now works at the jeep dealership, he was baffled when I said I had owned a 4Runner and now a Jeep. He says the Jeeps are Constantly coming in for serious repairs all within the warranty. He never saw that at Toyota. All I could do was agree with him and say I felt that I had probably made a poor decision buying this jeep and not waiting for the new 4Runners to come out. But there’s always the trade option and let’s see how the Bronco does. That may be more than enough for me.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
All I could do was agree with him and say I felt that I had probably made a poor decision buying this jeep and not waiting for the new 4Runners to come out
Jeep Wrangler JL Random Service Axle Locker System 1620352444546

Ryan4xe

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh man, I'm super pissed now. I'm less than 24 hours with mine - I have this issue (Axel Locker), the check engine light on, and (I got a 4xe) the electric battery system is not working (light on, and can't access electric only mode (I have 85% charged)).

I lit into the service manager and my sales rep just now when they told me it would be in the shop for the next week so they could diagnose the issue. When I kept pressing for specifics all they were able to share is that there are three components that need to be diagnosed ... no shit.

I don't know if anyone else has done this before, but I'm seriously going to explore getting out of this Jeep all together. There's gotta be a stipulation that warrants the buyer to be able to return a dud of a vehicle if it's hardly been driven/been owned for less than 24 hours.

If others have advice or articles you can point me to please share. Thanks

Ryan4xe

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 days. First was rear axle assembly replacement. Then actuator. Then diagnosis front end assembly then front actuator. Still throwing dash alerts finally wiring harness. I got to 2097 before mine did it. I literally cannot believe the poor quality that Jeep is delivering. It blows my mind that they have such a fantastic product that’s so well loved that they won’t spend the time to do the quality checks on these vehicles. I am 12 days from the lemon law if this problem kicks up again. However they did not do an alignment on my vehicle and now my vehicle is very Squirrley since I got it back. Having trouble holding it in the lanes over 60 miles an hour. It drifts to the right as well around 45 to 55 miles an hour.
I am so sorry you are experiencing this. Don’t let them BS you that you’re the only one they heard off. Until we all complain on nhsta.gov website they will keep churning poor quality components.

few hours in the shop?!?! That’s a joke. This isn’t Toyota or Subaru where you wait in the lounge watching tv. Heck no they send you home. I expect them aligning my car to take at least 3 to 4 days. Thank the goodness I kept my daily driver at the Subaru. 25,000 miles and not one problem. It’s Japanese, I work for the Japanese too, and it’s all about quality and customer satisfaction. Sadly cannot say this about American made Jeep products.
My last car was a Lexus IS 250 ... and I'm seriously missing the idea of dropping it off, getting a coffee from their lounge, and then driving away at most a couple hours later... Super bummed.

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR