Rain Gutter Fix

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Yā€™all could just put on a Bestop Sunrider and not have to worry about the gutter leaking out the front, since, Iā€™m guessing, it will gush down the whole door opening. I donā€™t know for sure yet since I havenā€™t driven in the rain ā€”- hasnā€™t rained in Denver for 3 months.......

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
John @Rubi-Zero : I really liked the approach you published in February.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-rail-water-leaking-that-anyone-can-do.46916/

Any thoughts here?
It would be unfair to comment on if this solution actually works as I have not personally tried it. So I will say in my opinion, during a hard rain, I would think water would still come into the cabin area once you open the door. It will just come in at a different spot. Maybe most of it will be redirected but I would bet it will still come in.

as far as the door sweep method I wrote up, it still works great and have since forgot about it was there because I havenā€™t had to deal with any rain water coming in when when it rains. This has totally fixed the issue.

Since the original write up, I have cut the door sweep in half itā€™s width from the original measurement I previous stated in that write up. I did this only so it could be more narrow and to see if it effects It function and still itā€™s great. not a drop of rain has come into the cabin area since.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Yā€™all could just put on a Bestop Sunrider and not have to worry about the gutter leaking out the front, since, Iā€™m guessing, it will gush down the whole door opening. I donā€™t know for sure yet since I havenā€™t driven in the rain ā€”- hasnā€™t rained in Denver for 3 months.......
Door opening is only exposed with the Sunrider retracted, it leaks the same as the panels...

Sponsored

BritishGuy

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue, 6sp. (SOLD)
Just my $0.02 here...

While the cheap 'extension' from Amazon looks good and should work well once it's glued in, if you're like me and remove your Freedom tops on a fairly regular basis, you won't be able to store them in the storage bags anymore. :(

I personally think the best solution would be 'gutter dam' @Boatbuilder88 posted or the 'door sweep' solution from @Rubi-Zero, depending on which route you wanted to go as these don't add extra items to the tops themselves, preventing you from using the storage bags. While I like the look of the vent visors @Steven Yates posted up, and even considered them for myself, once you open the door, water will probably start flowing in as usual. Actually, these would be really good if you're stopped at a drive-thru or a drive-up ATM in the rain and should keep water out when the window goes down.

I think I'm going to try the gutter dam first and if that still lets water in during heavy rains or thunderstorms, I'll go with the door sweep method.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Just my $0.02 here...

While the cheap 'extension' from Amazon looks good and should work well once it's glued in, if you're like me and remove your Freedom tops on a fairly regular basis, you won't be able to store them in the storage bags anymore. :(

I personally think the best solution would be 'gutter dam' @Boatbuilder88 posted or the 'door sweep' solution from @Rubi-Zero, depending on which route you wanted to go as these don't add extra items to the tops themselves, preventing you from using the storage bags. While I like the look of the vent visors @Steven Yates posted up, and even considered them for myself, once you open the door, water will probably start flowing in as usual. Actually, these would be really good if you're stopped at a drive-thru or a drive-up ATM in the rain and should keep water out when the window goes down.

I think I'm going to try the gutter dam first and if that still lets water in during heavy rains or thunderstorms, I'll go with the door sweep method.
Quite correct. The dam solution does work near 100%. Top can be stored without damaging the dam. Dam can easily be sanded and painted. Cost is nominal. We do get a lot of rain in the fall and winter and this simple solution does work.

Just mold and form the putty accordingly.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rain Gutter Fix DDC7AA52-A78E-4375-AF59-0CF1EE3B0C36

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
Thanks for the heads up Sal: both on the product and need to buy glue separately.

Out of respect for you, please consider the following a product critique, not a "Sal" critique. I agree that for $20 it's worth a try, plus you've been gracious enough to volunteer to be our "guinea pig."

....so let's say you install this product, which BTW most complaints about it on Amazon concerned the lack of instructions or glue, which I don't personally consider "dealbreakers"...

..although it wasn't like I saw "...although works great when [finally]installed" comments either.

These two thoughts notwithstanding, doesn't the water now drip, rather than over the top of the door, just from another place on the front of the door?

I guess we'll see.

gutter.jpg
I ordered this and they sent me two passenger side pieces. Lame. :(:headbang:

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thereā€™s something about JL hardtops that seems to collect more water than any of my JKs ever did.

When I get moving after a rain, the amount of water falling from the roof down the windshield seems a lot more than I ever remember.

I think JKā€™s hardtop was slightly less squared than JLā€™s; perhaps those more rounded corners helped clear some of the water...?

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I think the best solution would be a complete gutter cap. Do we really need a gutter, other than mounting racks?

Seems letting the water just run down would be the easiest solution, since if it is raining, your windows are closed anyway, so the run off would be no issue, but at least it wouldn't collect until you opened the door.

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
Ok I see what you guys are talking about now. First time opening my door in the rain today with the top closed and this SUCKS

brewdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram; 2014 T&C
Ford engineers solved this problem on the new Bronco by the raised lips at the outer edges of their hardtops---no rain gutters needed; if FCA, or whatever the company is called now, would just get their source for the hardtops to add a raised lip at outer edges the gutter would not be needed.