Question regarding the Windsheld defrost

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara
Where would they run the wires to the windshield?
I routed wires from my heater as shown. I used a flexible wire to fish through a path and then taped it in place until I was ready to run electrical wire. in the second pic you'll see the top to bottom wire routing down to the passenger footwell where I used one of my Aux switch wires. The ground point is circled.

wire routing 1.jpg

gnd point and top bottom wire routing.jpg
Sponsored

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
Are you making this for sale to other JL owners.
Yeah can confirm about this much airflow is all you need in the middle. The rest then gets pushed to defrost the sides - down all the way to the lower corners. Is a silly FCA design oversight - but is fortunately fixable. We just used 4 HD hook and loop adhesive squares to cover the slots and works a charm. Fast and low cost but a tad ghetto. Def play with the placement to get the airflow exactly where you want.
can anyone comment on the performance of the side window demisters/defrosters? Those little vents on the side of either side of the dash? How is the airflow coming out of those vents?

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
can anyone comment on the performance of the side window demisters/defrosters? Those little vents on the side of either side of the dash? How is the airflow coming out of those vents?
I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary so it seems they are doing their job.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
The side window vents work really well. Very good flow and good heat for such a small vent. We also installed AVS Ventvisors - so have very good airflow after fun times skiing and snowboarding.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S (Gladys) - 89' Civic SI
my side vents have good airflow.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I hate to go there, but it might be time for legal action from a group...
You went there so, it seems only fair that I ask you this:

what on what legal basis would a ‘group class action’ be founded?

I mean this seriously ..... your defroster may not work well. Ok. Shame on Jeep. On what basis do you think that they should be sued?

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
You went there so, it seems only fair that I ask you this:

what on what legal basis would a ‘group class action’ be founded?

I mean this seriously ..... your defroster may not work well. Ok. Shame on Jeep. On what basis do you think that they should be sued?
My thoughts would be safety issue...I know in the northern areas this is more serious than in the southern areas...

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
My thoughts would be safety issue...I know in the northern areas this is more serious than in the southern areas...
Have you created a report on NHTSA to log your concerns about he defroster being a safety issue?

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I have not, however I understand others have
Ok, understood. Since you think that this is a serious enough safety issue that you consider a class-action lawsuit a viable path forward, I would urge you to first file a complaint with NHTSA.

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Ok, understood. Since you think that this is a serious enough safety issue that you consider a class-action lawsuit a viable path forward, I would urge you to first file a complaint with NHTSA.[/QUOTE
Thank you for your advise.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I too had a '97 TJ Sport and didn't have this issue.
Same here. I never had this issue with a very early '97 TJ Sport with half doors and a soft top. As a matter of fact the default position is "defrost" if the solenoids or levers for the blend box breaks.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I owned a '97 TJ with half doors and plastic zippered windows and soft top. Also a '15 JK hardtop and now a '19 JLR hardtop. Been through many record breaking freezing temps and record snow and ice. -20 degrees a few times, It was 3 degrees just a few days ago. No problems once warmed up and defrost was ON. My current '19 2.0 T JLR warms up incredibly fast, probably the quickest out of any vehicle I have ever owned. I have owned over 40 cars.
Sponsored